4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-1-7 19:37:02 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
An HIV/AIDS awareness workshop which ended on Tuesday, last, has now left 25 differently-able persons more educated and informed about the deadly disease, its prevention and treatment available.The two-day workshop was spearheaded by the Guyana Society for the Blind (GSB) in collaboration with the National Aids Programme Secretariat (NAPS), and facilitated at the GSB’s building at High Street, Werk-en-Rust.It catered for persons who were suffering from different forms of disabilities living in various regions.Ganesh Singh, Project and Youth Co-ordinator of the GSB, stated that the initiative was long in coming since many disabled persons are very vulnerable and lack the necessary information as it relates to safe practices of sex and dealing with HIV/AIDS.He explained that his organization approached NAPS a few months prior to ensure that there youths are empowered in a number of areas especially in the awareness of HIV/AIDS and they can contribute to the new “youth group” formed by the disabled persons.Kaieteur News understands that though a lot of information is publicized about this disease, it does not cater for blind and/or differently-able individuals and the GSB plans to use modules developed by NAPS, to format it into electronic tools,Jerseys NFL Cheap, and utilize it within their groups.Such a task would require a lot of co-operation; however, the goal is to use the tools (audio tools) to train selected disabled persons as “peer educators” who can later educate other persons suffering from disabilities throughout the country.Nazim Hussain, NAPS representative, explained that for the past eight years or more, the response he received from this group of persons with disabilities was overwhelming. The participants “did things never seen before”.The participants fully comprehended everything taught in the sessions, and were already aware of most of the tactics used.It was noted that stigma and discrimination play a major role in the lives of both disabled and HIV/AIDS victims therefore it was necessary to have differently-able persons learn as much as they could about the deadly disease.A major aim of the workshop was also to assist in the reduction of stigma and discrimination in Guyana and help the participants protect themselves if/when involved in sexual encounters.The participants at the HIV/AIDS workshopHussain told this newspaper that NAPS will also “speak to Merundoi and lend a hand in continuing the new venture” since there is no platform for differently-able people in Guyana.Fourteen-year-old Asif Khan who participated in the workshop stated that the sessions were informative and interesting.“I learnt a few things which I didn’t really know and we will all benefit ‘because there is more information on HIV/AIDS now and we can put it to good use. I was blind since I was two years old and I can help others learn about HIV/AIDS after we finish these sessions”For 30-year old Lavena McBean the workshop was “mind-blowing”.“I didn’t know what this workshop was exactly about, but to my surprise it was so informative and fun that with the information received we will take it through our lifetimes, and so much information can be circulated. We can get serious about it. Peer educating is mind-blowing, it will be an excellent achievement to educate ones with disabilities”According to Shellon Swaving, teacher in charge of the Linden Low Vision Unit, her organization caters for 21 children between ages five and 17.“Workshops like these will help a lot, because parents think when kids have a simple eye condition they don’t need to learn about sex. I believe more counselors should be made available, especially for disabled teens. There is need for people specifically trained in such areas” (Kristen Macklingam)
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 04:01 , Processed in 0.074746 second(s), 26 queries .