9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2016-12-24 17:31:02 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Vocalist James LaBrie of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER was interviewed on the September 9-11 edition of Full Metal Jackie's nationally syndicated radio show. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below.To see a full list of stations carrying the program and when it airs, go to FullMetalJackieRadio.com.Interview (audio):   A couple of excerpts from the chat follow.Full Metal Jackie: Obviously, [drummer] Mike Portnoy was an integral part of DREAM THEATER since its inception, not somebody replaceable by simply hiring another drummer. At what point during his audition did you know Mike Mangini would be your man?LaBrie: [Laughs] I think after the first three minutes. No, I mean he came there with so much enthusiasm and he made it quite clear, quite apparent to us that,Kevin Shattenkirk Jersey, "I'm coming after this gig and I'm putting my all into it and I'm very focused. I'm very prepared and I'm going to make it undeniably obvious to you that I want this gig more than anyone and I deserve it more than anyone." We played three songs from previous albums and, seriously, even after the first song it was just so obvious that this guy was unique, he was world-class and I think the other thing that really was what drove it home for us was that it felt so natural; it just felt really natural. You would turn, if you weren't looking at him and you turned away and you were just taking in the music and how it felt, it felt very natural,Rene Bourque Jersey, it felt synergistic. We were all joking after the audition saying we could have played a gig [that night]. We literally could've walked on stage and played a gig, that's how tight and in control he was, with playing through the songs. The other drummers were phenomenal; the other drummers were unique in their own way. They all had their own style and their own interpretation, incredible drummers,Brian Elliott Jersey, but the way that he felt, it was the right chemistry, the way he engaged in conversation with us, he's very intelligent. I mean, I've known Mike Mangini for 13 years and he played on three of my solo albums,Paul Stastny Jersey, so I was privy to have worked with him in the past and I knew that this was a guy who's going to come in; he's going to play and I'm pretty darn sure he's going to have the other guys with their jaws on the floor and he did. That being said,Jori Lehtera Jersey, I know that there's been some talk out there of everybody going, "Well, I'm sure that once Mike Mangini played that they were kind of closed down to the other drummers presenting themselves and giving them a fair shake," and I can tell you that we all stayed open-minded listening to the other six drummers. It was just when we went back and started looking and reviewing the auditions of each drummer, we just kept coming back to Mike Mangini and there was just something there, it's magic.Full Metal Jackie: James, the departure of someone like Portnoy, [who was] hands-on in so many aspects of how DREAM THEATER functioned, must have meant a total restructuring of the band mechanism. Does such restructuring come at the benefit of shaking up the complacency of routine?LaBrie: Yeah, I would think so. I think it allowed us to really rethink how we exist. I think one thing to be noted is that musically we were pretty sure, we knew what kind of album we wanted to make when we were coming into the studio which ended up being "A Dramatic Turn Of Events". The music on this album,David Savard Jersey, we knew that we really wanted to get back to our musical roots and we really wanted to recreate keeping it contemporary and keeping it new obviously. What really put us on the map internationally and that was the progressive element of DREAM THEATER and the heavy metal element but keeping it in a very controlled and complementing way for each element to speak loudly but not overtaking the other. Beyond that, we also knew that there are a lot of behind-the-scenes operations that make a band what it is and there's so many things going on whether it's promotion, whether it's artwork or just every day to day duties that need to be done that will enable a band to stay in the minds of the fans and in the industry in a very positive and healthy way. So,David Rundblad Jersey, we knew right away that we wanted to make it a unified venture from this moment on so that it wasn't one person calling the shots; it wasn't one person taking the responsibilities of the band because that just tends to kind of leave you out in the dark and there can be too many moments that can be somewhat surprising to you. "Oh, I didn't know we were doing that or I didn't know that, that was going on or how did this come about." So knew that we never wanted to be, maybe, in that situation ever again. So transparency was the first thing that we said this band had to exist on and the fact that we were all going to discuss any move that was going to be made and it's been great and it hasn't been complicated,Brian Bellows Jersey, because the way we looked at it in the past was that, "Well, you get everybody in, there's too many chefs in the kitchen or there's too many chiefs," or whatever. It hasn't ever been a situation like that. If anything, it's something that's easily discussed. We all know what's best for the band, we all know what we want. Ultimately, we want success and we want to continue building this so that it gets bigger and better. So we're able to discuss things and it's an open dialogue and I think because of that we all feel much more connected and much more free and calm and spirited and I think that even comes out. Well, we know it does, because fans are talking about it, that there seems to be a whole new unity going on within the band, a whole new spirit on stage and everyone's roles are speaking loudly as far as the way you see a band and view a band. And so I think it's all great, you know  it's all really taking us to a better place.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 05:29 , Processed in 0.072513 second(s), 28 queries .