9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2016-12-25 06:43:19 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Mike Bax of Lithium Magazine recently conducted an interview with guitarist Phil Demmel of San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.Lithium Magazine: Do you get to hear stories about how your audience first encounters MACHINE HEAD? Here's the thing; I look at "The Blackening" and "Unto The Locust", where you're starting your albums off with an eight-to-a-ten-minute-long song. In this current ADD disposable music culture we live in, asking a new fan to start off their MACHINE HEAD experience by sucking down an eight-to-ten-minute-long song… well, that's kind of radical.Phil: It is. It's not traditional. It's not conventional. We like to start our albums with a really relentless song,R.A. Dickey Blue Jays Jersey, and "Clenching" and "I Am Hell" are not conventional songs. We throw all of those "expectations" you alluded to out the door. I think the band had tried that before and it just wasn't who they were and it didn't feel like it was being 100 percent genuine, like "Locust" is. So we're staying true to ourselves and also hoping people get that. If that doesn't happen... well, we're being true to ourselves and we genuinely enjoy it.Lithium Magazine: For me, the first time I heard "The Blackening", I didn't completely get it. i knew it was good. I was intrigued. I needed a bit of time to really get behind what was happening on that record. I think it took me about a month… But when I actually got it, I was all in. And I feel like "Unto The Locust" went down a little easier somehow. My first impressions of "Locust" were that it was good. The more I played it, the more I could find some of the real intricacies that the seven songs on the album hold… but I liked "Locust" immediately.Phil: I think "The Blackening" could have been a primer for "Locust". It certainly would get fans used to the longer arrangements. I think the thing about "Locust" is that the melodies are there and the hooks are there. One thing I did with the solos on this record, Robb [Flynn, guitar/vocals] and I both; was to try and slow them down a little bit. Go to the school of Randy Rhoads and Kirk Hammett a little bit and try writing a composition within other compositions. I want people humming my solos, you know? I go to a METALLICA concert and I'm humming the solos from "One" for days afterwards, you know? The whole crowd gets into it,Jose Bautista Blue Jays Jersey, and you remember shit like that. I want to achieve that. There are a thousand shredders out there,Ozzie Smith Cardinals Jersey, you know? And I'm not the quickest guy,Noah Syndergaard Mets Jersey, but I feel like I am finding the right notes to put together now that people will retain and reflect on.Lithium Magazine: How would you describe METALLICA as a band to open for? I've been in the crowd at METALLICA shows. METALLICA fans cross their arms and they watch the two bands opening with a stoic stance and don't really give the opening bands anything. It's a bit freakish. So I am assuming it must be cool to actually get the gig,Cameron Maybin Orioles Jersey, but there is a whole other mindset you need to achieve to actually do the tours.Phil: It's a hard gig. It is. You have to bring it every night. You're working; working hard! Headlining is still work, but it's more of the enjoyment and the energy of reciprocation. With a METALLICA show, it's not being reciprocated. (Laughs) You're pounding it one way until you get somebody and you shake them up,Hector Rondon Cubs Jersey, and that's what we did. We would pick out where to go. Robb can work a crowd like nobody's business, but we were in the round on that tour, right? So he's looking over the crowd in one direction and we were often looking off in another direction, and you have this whole quarter of the arena to deal with yourself, you know? It took some work. I think for the most part we did a pretty good job. We heard a lot of reviews along the lines of, "It's not easy to get through the opening bands, but those guys were entertaining." We played the "Hallowed Be Thy Name" [IRON MAIDEN] cover, so that helped us along a bit. Lithium Magazine: It stands to reason that people may look over your history down the road and look to "The Blackening" as your "Master Of Puppets".Phil: (Laughs) Bah! You know,Jedd Gyorko Cardinals Jersey, there is only one "Master Of Puppets". Nothing is going to be on that magnitude for a metal band for a long time — if ever. I have a hard time with any comparisons to what METALLICA went through. They just trail-blazed everything, you know? It's their own trip and nobody is going to do that again.Lithium Magazine: In your opinion, what makes a credible musician or band?Phil: I think honesty — being genuine,Blake Swihart Red Sox Jersey, having integrity and being honest with your music is what makes you credible. I don't think that how many people like you or how many radio stations you are on should matter. There has to be a quality factor in there as well, but I think if you involve those three elements in your material, that makes you credible.Read the entire interview from Lithium Magazine.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-28 17:10 , Processed in 0.064601 second(s), 26 queries .