9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-1-14 09:39:24 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieAs I grow older, I worry more and more about my pension. I see too many Guyanese barely eking out a living, depending on public assistance, old age and NIS pension and if they are lucky state pension and something from a private insurance.Not many persons work for the state so no pension from that. Public assistance is not permanent and I will bet more than 90 percent of Guyana does not have private insurance.I am preparing to find something that will have to supplement my pension when I retire. It would be impossible to live on what I am projecting to receive.I take my hat off to our senior citizens who have to plant their gardens or depend on irregular handouts from relatives to make ends meet. My GPL bill averages $14,Wholesale NFL Jerseys,000 and internet and cable $20,Cheap Wholesale Jerseys,000. See where I am heading with this? What exactly are our pensioners receiving?Leanard GildarieIt is not an easy thing. I wonder how politicians can stand up with a straight face and say that they are doing something good. While our budget is limited in its capacity, the reality is that many of our seniors are finding it difficult.It is a story that is slipping through the cracks. A vast majority of them have no choice but to depend on their families for help.So it was with great anger I read a release from the Government last week on how one call centre in Linden has sent home about 90 staffers.I got worried. Linden is going through its share of problems and call ill-afford to have so many of its residents jobless.Bosai is facing tough times selling its bauxite and has scaled down operations. The gold fields and logging which has managed to employ so many is also not doing well.Yet this one call centre sent home its staffers and reportedly told them to go to Government for their severance pay.The company’s officials later told Minister Simona Broomes, who is charged with labour, that they made a mistake.Chairman of Region 10, Rennis Morian, urged for the building to be locked down and the managers, reportedly from St. Kitts,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, be blocked from leaving Guyana.Guyana urgently needs to review its labour laws.Labour officials said that NIS and tax contributions were deducted but not remitted to the relevant entities.It could not have been overnight that the call centre, Toucan Connections,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, knew it was in financial trouble.You can’t just close doors and send workers home. There are labour requirements that have to be met.I understand arguments that some businesses for one reason or the other will close. That is how the world works. But laws also allow the workers some rights too. There is an entire Government department that looks after this.According to the Government statement, the Ministry intends to take the company to court for breaches of the labour laws, under the Termination of Employment and Severance Pay Act, Chapter 99:08-Laws of Guyana.According to the act, employees should be consulted, “as early as possible but no later than one month from the date of existence…with recognized trade unions, or if none exists, the employees or the employees’ representatives and the Chief Labour Officer, on the possible measures that could be taken to avert or mitigate the adverse effects of such circumstances, in relation to employment generally and employees concerned.”Any employer who contravenes any of the provisions of this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine of $20,000 and imprisonment of three months.This last sentence is what has me upset. I didn’t see right- $20,000???How many companies, including security firms,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, do we know about that take NIS and taxes from workers and fail to remit same?How many factories and work places do we know that can be likened to slave camps?I can go on and on.What can be agreed on is that our laws need revamping. I heard a large drug bust could see a convicted person fined $10,000 or three times the value of the seized drug.In this day and age where the laws should be modern, we have these little things that stop our developmental strides.There is significant debate over the sacking of contract workers, public servants and all kinds of things. There is little clarity and from the look of things, lots of protection for workers…but a lack of will,Wholesale China Jerseys, and loopholes in the law that allow employers to act with impunity is proving problematic.Our labour laws, I humbly suggest, should be reviewed and updated to reflect best practices in other developed countries.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-6-2 02:21 , Processed in 0.068883 second(s), 26 queries .