10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-1-21 12:58:43 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– glaucoma patient Michael DavidBy Enid JoaquinMany people are afraid of the dark,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, but those like Michael David live with a daily dread of a permanent darkness.Michael David, 57,Cheap NFL Jerseys Stitched, has been living with glaucoma for the past 28 years.And for this Linden construction worker, it is a huge challenge.Michael’s father also suffered from the disease and eventually became blind.He was not as fortunate as his son who was diagnosed early and so begun a treatment regimen that spanned almost three decades.“I was diagnosed with glaucoma when I was in Trinidad,” David said. “I was suffering with blurred vision and then when I looked at lights I would see rainbow colors around it I knew that was not normal, so I visited a nearby Health Centre.”But the people at the Health Centre could do nothing, so they referred him to the local hospital.Thus begun the regimen of eye-drops that has continued to this day.Michael would spend about ten years in Trinidad before returning to Guyana.He says it has not been easy.“For the past few years I’ve been attending clinics at the Mackenzie Hospital, but most of the time I cannot get the requisite drops there, and I have to go to Georgetown. This is really hard on me, because the drops are expensive and on top off that I have to find passage back and forth. Having to purchase the drops, plus travel expenses, is not easy on the average man. If you are working for the minimum wage,Cheap Jerseys 2018, that is almost half your salary right there.”Despite the challenges, Michael says that he has no option but to buy the drops.“My father went blind, because he was diagnosed late- actually it was less than ten years after his diagnosis that he went blind. The advantage I have,Authentic Jerseys China, is the early detection which enabled me to access treatment before the condition got worse”.Mr. David admits that the possibility of him going blind is a very real and frightening one, but one that he is not willing to accept.“I live with the knowledge that I can go to bed and awaken and yet be in the dark,Cheap Stitched Jerseys, but I hope and pray never to have to experience that. I have done quite a bit of travelling and seen and experienced quite a lot of things, so I don’t think I can cope with that. And my line of work too, which is building construction, demands that I have good vision.”The DiseaseAccording to medical research Glaucoma is a disease that damages the eye’s optic nerve. This damage occurs when fluid builds up in the front part of the eye, thereby increasing the pressure in the eye and damaging the optic nerve in the process.It is said to be the leading cause of blindness for people, but early diagnosis and treatment can prevent this.The disease develops and progresses silently and can gradually rob you of your eyesight as usually there are no early symptoms.Fortunately, glaucoma eyedrops, glaucoma surgery or both) can help preserve vision.There are several types of glaucoma, according to research,Cheap Jerseys From China, but Open-angle glaucoma is reportedly the most common.According to reports open-angle glaucoma is the most prevalent form of glaucoma in Guyana and Afro-Guyanese are more prone to develop this disease. They are also more likely to have family members suffering from glaucoma.The disease is also reportedly very severe and more difficult to treat in these patients. According to research from reputable medical sources, open-angle glaucoma has no symptoms in its early stages and vision remains normal. However as the optic nerve becomes more damaged, blank spots begin to appear in your field of vision. These blank spots would not become noticeable until the optic nerve is significantly damaged and the spots become enlarged. Should all of the optic nerve fibers die, blindness results.It has also been noted that a single eye pressure test will miss many people who have glaucoma. So in addition to routine eye pressure testing, it is advisable that the optic nerve be examined by an ophthalmologist for proper diagnosis.Research also indicates that half of patients with glaucoma do not have high eye pressure when first examined as eye pressure is not always the same.Methods of treatment.Over the past years, patients have been exposed to two common methods of treating glaucoma here in Guyana. One is by medication (eye drops) or by surgery. But there is also laser treatment which provides open-angle glaucoma patients with a third option for treatment.However laser treatment for glaucoma is not recommended for all patients, reports indicate.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 01:27 , Processed in 0.066385 second(s), 26 queries .