4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-2-10 20:52:17 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Art teachers are in short supply. This is according to Art teacher of 20 years, Godfrey Alexander, who is on a mission to help address this shortcoming.Alexander has been teaching at the Annai Secondary School in Region Nine for the past three years, and he hopes within another two years at least two of his students would be taking up the teaching duty at the very school.This is in light of the fact that he was able to encourage six of them who recently completed the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate examination to apply for entry to the Burrowes School of Art, located at Carifesta Avenue, Georgetown.“This is an unprecedented move,” said Alexander during an interview with this publication yesterday. He noted that while he has produced several students who have done well in Art, not too many are inclined to further studies in this regard.However, the recent batch of six students – Dickson Vanlong, 18; Wilkie George, 16; Leania Domingo, 17; Jerry Marco, 16; Laurindo John, 17 and Ransford Simon, 15 – seemed eager enough to indulge further in the Arts.This was of course based on Alexander’s encouragement. And this was a strategic tactic, he noted, since “for the past two years I have noticed students graduating and just walking around in Annai after they graduate from school”. This has been the state of affairs in other sections of the Region, Alexander added.The six students, who are yet to receive their CSEC results since they are out of their examining jurisdiction, attended an orientation at the Burrowes School of Art yesterday where they were assessed and accepted.“They were accepted after their portfolios were looked at and they had to take a test; the test was done so that they can show a true reflection of their work…they all passed,” said the proud teacher.They will attend the art school for the next two years, following which they are likely to be qualified enough to teach the subject, according to Alexander.He added that “I had two students with 100 percent pass last year, and I made the recommendation to them, but they didn’t take it up because people told them that Art is stupidness, but little did they know that just Art took me around this world and brought me back. I was teaching in Africa for six years, I was in Brazil, Suriname and the United States”.“I can see the benefits, and that is what I explained to my students, and it worked with this batch. They listened and they trusted me, and their parents are supportive too,” Alexander disclosed.The students have also qualified for scholarships compliments of the Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs.  This, according to Alexander, will see them being eligible for financial support and accommodation while they complete their two-year programme.The proposal for the scholarship was raised by officials of the Burrowes School of Art following the students’ orientation session, and it was granted by the Ministry.Minister within the Ministry, Valerie Garrido-Lowe, was particularly instrumental in facilitating the scholarship for the students.“A lot of people don’t apply for scholarships from the hinterland and it covers everything for them, even the materials they will need over the two years. I benefited from that and I am happy my students can benefit from it too,Wholesale Jerseys 2017,” Alexander emphasised.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 21:03 , Processed in 0.060396 second(s), 26 queries .