2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-3-3 12:42:34 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
"But there had been heavy combat in An Loc late in the war,Authentic Jerseys Cheap, including air strikes on part of the town, and everything from that era seemed gone," he wrote in a story for The Boston Globe. "All the physical memories and symbols of my war had seemingly been bombed to smithereens."
Sesno said Sunday that Shanahan's death was a surprise. "It was totally out of the blue," he said.
Shanahan joined the AP in 1965 after his graduation from Penn State. But after several months,Wholesale Jerseys From China, he interrupted his journalism career for a stint in the military, including a tour as intelligence officer with service in the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Bronze Star.
Among those was the town of An Loc, where Shanahan had served for seven months as an intelligence officer. With the help of a guide, he searched for familiar scenery.
Tom Raum, a longtime colleague at the AP, said Shanahan was a commuting partner, sailing companion and close friend. They would frequently cross paths on the campaign trail.
"We are all devastated by this news," Sesno said in a letter to students, faculty and staff. "Professor Shanahan was an unshakable friend and advocate of the School of Media and Public Affairs. He brought a reporter's eye and a professor's dedication to his work."
Another GW colleague, Steve Roberts, said Shanahan "was a mentor, a counselor, a teacher and a friend to countless students at GW. His door and his heart were always open to them."
Soon after that, Shanahan moved to the Washington bureau of the AP. His coverage included presidential campaigns,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, top federal agencies,Authentic China Jerseys, Congress and the White House. He covered the White House and politics at Newhouse Newspapers for six years after that. And for a decade he was a media spokesman for the American Petroleum Institute, before going into teaching.
Those experiences went far beyond Washington in a career that touched on many major events of the last half-century.
He returned to journalism in 1969, working for the AP's Pittsburgh bureau and covering such stories as the assassination of United Mine Workers leader Jock Jablonski and the 1970 fatal shooting of four students at Kent State University.
"I can remember so many times when students were troubled," May said of Shanahan's role as a student adviser. "Mike would never give up on them."
Shanahan returned to Vietnam early this year with his wife and toured many sites from the war that ended almost 40 years ago.
Shanahan, 71, was assistant director for student affairs at SMPA. He also had taught various journalism courses at the school.
That wry sense of humor was in evidence during the early part of this decade, when a different Mike Shanahan was head coach of the Washington Redskins. Al May, a GWU colleague, said Shanahan would take calls from irate Washington Redskins fans and listen to their beefs. After letting them vent for a while, Shanahan would patiently tell them they had the wrong Shanahan, May said.
WASHINGTON (AP) — Michael Shanahan, a veteran Washington political reporter for The Associated Press and Newhouse Newspapers who used that experience to teach new generations of students at George Washington University about the business he loved, died Saturday.
Frank Sesno, director of George Washington's School of Media and Public Affairs, said Shanahan died Saturday morning, surrounded by family, after suffering a severe stroke earlier in the week.
Shanahan brought the same enthusiasm he had for journalism to teaching and to advising students, said May,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, a GWU journalism professor who initially hired Shanahan at the school.
May said Shanahan had a session on Watergate scheduled for this coming week and talked in his lecture about actually covering the scandal. "His lecture showed the joy and enthusiasm he had for American journalism,Jerseys NFL Cheap," said May. "He really did convey that to the students."
For more than a quarter-century, Shanahan worked as a reporter, covering many areas of politics, from campaigns to federal agencies to Congress to the White House.
Shanahan is survived by his wife, Victoria Elliott, and three grown daughters, Tina Spurlock and Martha and Claire Shanahan and four grandchildren.
"There is nothing like being in a classroom and teaching and making some broader point ... and suddenly a memory from my own experience as a journalist will pop into my head. I will tell a yarn, a story, an anecdote from my long experience as a reporter and that cements the broader theoretical point that I was making in the classroom," he said in a video posted on his school website. "I can tell I've connected with the students when they say: 'Aha! Now I understand what you mean.'"

"He was low-key with a delightful sense of humor," said Raum.
"He was an excellent professor," May said. "He had an energy that comes with a second career, had an extraordinary commitment to teaching and to the kids, especially in passing along his experiences in Washington."
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 23:17 , Processed in 0.063999 second(s), 28 queries .