4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-3-22 14:53:09 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
There is the adage that “olden is golden” but in this case it can be taken in its literal context since one of  the vehicles on display at the Demerara Mutual Vintage Car Exhibition attracted a whopping US4 million offer from American collectors trading in China.Kaieteur News was advised by the owner of the antique vehicle McLearen Pemberton, 80, a retired Mechanical Engineer that the offer was made three months ago for his 1959 Humber Hawk by two Americans who wanted to take the model to China.A 1924 Rolls Royce from GuySucoPemberton informed that he bought the car, which was manufactured by DeRousse Motor Company London, England, from the Anglican Diocese on the 17th of July 1980.According to Pemberton the previous owner of the vehicle was the late Arch Bishop of the West Indies Sir Allen John Knight.The vehicle has a gasoline four cylinder 1922cc horsepower engine with a manual gear box and has a carburetor and standard ignition system.Pemberton proudly said at the exhibition, which was held last Saturday at the Demerara Mutual Fire and Life Insurance Company Robb Street and Avenue of the Republic location, that he “bought this car for the sum of $5000.” Of course in those days $5000 was a mini fortune.The car, the man said, was then restored by him, a process that took two years and culminated in November of 1982. “I’ve got it in my garage all the time. I am a collector of cars. I love auto cars,” said the Mechanical Engineer, who added that he kept the car because he was part of the Anglican Diocese.Some of the other vehicles at the ExhibitionHe said that Guyanese should follow what he is doing and exhibit to the wide world the type of restoration and quality work that Guyanese mechanics could put out. Pemberton told this publication that he has about 40 different models of classics, since that is all he deals with and he said that he would never consider putting a price on his vehicles.“I have never thought of putting a price on my cars. If I tell you something, you would not believe; I was offered four Million US dollars for this car three months ago by two American guys who want to buy it to take the model into China. I said I don’t want it,Cheap Jerseys China, I don’t need money. What are you going to do with it? It’s paper pack up high.”The man said that there are quite a few cars that overseas buyers want to buy from him, “but I told them I am not interested in selling. When I sell it, what will I pass down to my grandchildren?” he related.According to Melissa De Santos, Legal Officer for Demerara Mutual Life Insurance Society, who is currently acting as Operations Manager for Demerara Fire and General, the first Vintage car exhibition was held in October last year and they plan to make it an annual event.Pemberton’s 1959 Humber Hawk“What everybody is saying is that this one is a bit fast on the heels of the other one, but people have expressed interest in bringing their cars, that’s why we put it on so early. We will decide on a date that will be fixed and every year we will have it. The idea really is to have an awareness of the company but also to give people an avenue to display their cars because you have Car and Bike Shows but not vintage.”She said that there are quite a lot of Guyanese with vintage cars who don’t have the opportunity to showcase them.“A lot of response so far from people is that they have a lot of Vintage cars but they are fixing them up, so every year we will keep getting more cars.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-9 20:44 , Processed in 0.074989 second(s), 28 queries .