4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-3-22 14:55:09 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Attractive wooden windows are among a variety of quality products available for your homeProtecting your doors & windows…By Leonard GildarieThe phones were ringing off the hooks like crazy and my inbox was clogged up over the past few days.Last week we examined the need to ensure that your materials for the home are of good quality. Wood and concrete blocks especially, when being procured, must be given deserved attention,Cheap Jerseys Online, as they can affect both your pocket and the strength of your home if they are of poor quality.Last week, in making a point that concrete blocks should be cured properly by the makers before being sold, I neglected to mention that it is the custom to wet them after being removed from the mould to ensure strength. One person even asked if it is our intention to produce a brochure on building a home because of the many pitfalls in an industry which is one of the fastest growing in Guyana.To answer the question on the brochure…no, we are a newspaper that saw a critical issue that needed some attention. Judging from the responses, via emails and phone calls, it can be concluded that it was indeed a critical issue.I thought it would be a good idea this week to address some of the issues raised by a number of callers and from emails.One person asked about the next International Building Expo. Officials of the Ministry of Housing have indicated that it will be held between July and August.That show, in my opinion, is an excellent initiative for families planning to build a home. The varieties of products on display last year were dizzying, a clear indication that the expo was long overdue.This year again, I would strongly recommend a visit to the event to compare cement prices; learn valuable tips and examine the different roofing materials, paints and even the remarkable trowel tex – an application that replaces paint and is a beautiful finish. There were the banks present at the expo and even Courts did not miss out.I think also the Housing Ministry could consider taking the venture to Berbice and Essequibo.About two decades ago, louvres and wood windows were the options available. Now, a few builders have introduced the attractive metal awnings and sash windows.Last year, during the housing expo at the National Stadium, I saw a pair of beautiful wooden windows on display by Guyana Furniture Manufacturing. It was love at first sight.I ordered and paid for two…waited for three weeks for them to be made…and then had them installed. It was a nervous few hours, because my contractor had never worked with a type like that before. We had some hard work applying the sanding sealer to protect it against moisture and then paint-brushing the walnut stain and clear coat. For me, it is the showpiece of my humble abode. Thanks to that expo.Another writer also raised the issue of termites in homes. While this should not be, the reality is that wood materials used for roofing are, almost in 99% of the cases, not treated.Forestry experts are recommending that for wood to become stronger, it should be stored for a few months in the shade and away from moisture.According to one reader who emailed us from New York, many contractors/builders in Guyana do not dispose of wood scraps and ends properly. They would compact it into the foundation as filler. This is literally food for the dreaded wood ants and other termites.The problem is that many homebuilders do not have the luxury of time. For those with advances on mortgages, it is a race against time to buy the materials in a hurry and transport it to the worksite for use. In many cases, workmen just leave them in the rain and sun for several days. Not recommended, especially for wallboards. After awhile, when the wood dries, it will shrink and leave embarrassing spaces. It has to be stored properly.Shopping for lumber is a major headache. In addition to worrying about being robbed of the quantity, the age of the wood is critical. Many lumber yards, and I make no apologies for this, will try to pass off young lumber.You can tell that the lumber is good by the colour…the darker the older…the older the better.Forestry officials also noted that while termites attack lumber at some time, the proper storage of the material away from moisture, in a cool place, will help to strengthen it.One of the biggest problems for homebuilders also is that while a floor plan has been approved by the local NDC or Town Council, it will not show the designs on the windows or in a particular area. In most cases, a family or homebuilder will deal with these as the home progresses.Not a good idea. Adjustments can be costly, affect your pocket and cut into your schedule. Before building, there should be a clear idea of what the designs are.Now, I have seen many homes with doors and windows that are fitted without any kind of protection from the elements.What do I mean by protection? It is simple. The roof must be wide enough to lessen the beating from rains or sun. Or alternatively, in the case of the windows, a small ledge or lip could be built around it. Many homeowners will complain of rain flashing in through the windows. After awhile the exposure could damage the frame of the window, making it “tight”.Now I know that a few window makers will be unhappy over this. It is my assertion that the quality of windows could do with some improvements.Regarding your doors; be it in front, side or back, a shed is the best place for protection. Remember, 90% of homes will be using wooden doors. Many will only paint or varnish them. It does not help when rain and sun continue their merciless attack on the door, day in and out.In my case, my front door leads to a covered porch, with the back one leading to a shed.And as we are on the topic of protection, I would recommend using the sanding sealer on all wooden doors or windows. This lacquer-like material when sanded, seals the pores of the wood so that moisture (water) cannot penetrate easily and cause damage. Throw in two coats of lacquer on the door or window and you are good to go.Next week, we will take a look at what happens when the bank calls and says that your mortgage is ready. In the meantime, you can drop suggestions, questions or even request past articles if you have missed them to [email protected] You can also call 225-8491.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 01:12 , Processed in 0.067482 second(s), 26 queries .