4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-4-3 07:50:32 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“I always try to make learning a lively activity for his students; moving as far away as possible from the regular chalk-and-talk methods of curriculum delivery. Children learn through more practical activities.” By Leon SuseranHis name is well-known within the education and teaching fraternity in Berbice and further afield.Michael HackettHe’s a highly dependable Physics and Mathematics tutor who has helped countless persons attain the requisite skills, whether at the Secondary or Tertiary level. His work extends into teacher-training as he has helped to mould dozens of teachers across Regions Five and Six, as well as in Georgetown.This week, we feature a young and brilliant man who believes a healthy mind and body. Many persons may have seen him riding long distances along the Corentyne Coast as he tries to stay fit. He has written innumerable letters that have appeared in the newspapers, primarily on an issue that is near and dear to his heart—corporal punishment. He has written very passionately about the issue, calling for its total abolition in schools, from the point of view that children deserve to be treated in non-violent ways. He is fondly referred to as ‘Mr. Hackett’.EARLY DAYSMichael Lester Hackett was born at the New Amsterdam Hospital. He grew up with his parents, Robert, a businessman and Land Surveyor and Eunice, a housewife, in Rose Hall Town. His parents ran a fairly successful business. Rose Hall Town was quiet in those days, and much cleaner than it is today. Mr. Hackett recalled visiting the number one play spot in the town in those days, ‘Red Team’, (today called Area ‘H’ Ground), where they played lots of games, such as cricket. He and his friends would also catch fish and fly their kites. “It was a famous getaway spot… when we wanted to get away from mommy.”Receiving the UG Vice Chancellor’s Prize for Best Graduating Student in Physics at Turkeyen.Young Michael attended the then Bertram Farley (retired Educator) Nursery and Primary School in the town. The official name of the school was Mary’s Memorial Primary. After writing the Common Entrance Exams, he was awarded a place at Queen’s College in 1978. After writing his CXC O’ Level Exams, he commenced studies for the Advanced Levels, where he studied Physics, Economics and Mathematics.Afterwards, at age 18, Hackett commended teaching at Lower Corentyne Secondary School in 1985. He received that push from then JC Chandisingh Secondary Headmaster,Wholesale Jerseys China, Mr. Jagan Persaud Deonarine.“I was nervous prior to being sent to a class to teach. I felt empty, having no knowledge whatsoever about teaching. I taught Mathematics. I was just put into the classroom to teach, without instructions and no advice…and the same thing happens today (with young teachers).”His first working experience was rather strange, he said. But he recalled pulling himself together and learning the job as the days went by. He built knowledge, skills and confidence, as he used innovative methods, which he still practices to this day.“I always try to make learning a lively activity for his students; moving as far away as possible from the regular chalk-and-talk methods of curriculum delivery. Children learn through more practical activities.”FORMAL TRAINING AND ACHIEVEMENTSHackett later commenced his formal teacher training at the Cyril Potter College ofLab in session: Surrounded by some of his Science students at UG Johns Campus recently.Education (CPCE) Rose Hall Centre. He was adjudged Best Graduating Teacher in 1998, on his birthday, June 26. “A real nice birthday present,” he reflected.In 1999, he commenced studies for a Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics, where he was exempted one of the four years of studies since he had very good A- Level subjects, including Physics. In 2002, Hackett graduated as Second-Best Graduating Student. Additionally, he received the Vice Chancellor’s Medal for Best Physics Student as well as another Prize for Best Natural Science Student in that year. He lectured at the CPCE’s Georgetown In-Service Centre whilst pursuing his Physics Degree.He then returned to Berbice to continue his work. In 2003, he continued his work with CPCE as a Mathematics Lecturer at the Rose Hall Centre. In 2005, his services were needed at the University of Guyana Berbice Campus (UGBC) Johns Campus where he currently lectures in Mathematics, Trigonometry, Algebra, Calculus, Statistics, and some Chemistry too.POST- GRADUATE STUDIES AND LECTURINGMr. Hackett, then Coordinator of the Faculty of Social Sciences (UGBC), sharing a graduation moment with some of his Mathematics Degree Graduates.In 2008, Hackett departed Guyana for England on a Commonwealth Scholarship, where he commended studies for a Masters of Science Degree in Environmental Coastal Engineering. He spent eleven months completing that programme. He returned in 2009, where he continued to lecture at UG.Environmental Coastal Engineering, he explained, deals with flood control, sea defence, and issues related to coastal drainage and canal systems.“It is a field very relevant to Guyana since we are under constant bombardment from the elements. More persons should become trained in this area. I believe it should become a programme of study at UG, to boost the Civil Engineering and Hydraulics programmes.”Currently, he is conducting research at UG in Coastal Engineering.PASSIONATE ABOUT ENDING CORPORAL PUNISHMENTIn 2002, whilst attending a workshop at the Ocean View Convention Centre at Liliendaal,NFL Jerseys China, East Coast Demerara, Hackett became engrossed with an issue which was never close to him—Corporal Punishment (CP). It was after veteran mental health practitioner and Child Psychotherapist, Dr. Faith Harding (now deceased)Enjoying the outdoors during a recent visit to his father’s hometown, Hosororo, North West District.spoke about child abuse and CP that Mr. Hackett took up its calling. “I was neither for it nor against it (before Dr. Harding’s speech)—just something that I thought was (a) part of our culture.”“I always thought that persons, who,Cheap Arizona Coyotes Hoodies, at the time, were calling for its abolition, were wasting their time and energies. But when Dr. Harding spoke that day, she raised my consciousness on this issue, so for about two years, I studied it.”It was at that time he realized that he needed to raise other people’s consciousness and awareness about CP and the need to abolish same. He took to the dailies and started to write dozens of letters on the topic from 2004, mentioning in each letter how CP damages children’s abilities to perform efficiently. He became a conspicuous advocate for the abolition of CP, as he even cited other countries that were, one by one, erasing it from their laws.“That is something which I feel strongly about—very, very strongly about!”LOVE FOR MATHEMATICSHackett loves teaching Mathematics and Physics. “Those are two subject areas that go hand-in-hand with each other and which hold practical application and implications for everyday life. To be a good Mathematics teacher, you have to read a lot—you have to be able to know about the different methodologies, to teach all classes of children, from the very low achievers to the higher ones.”“Teachers should read more and arm themselves with resources and tools from the World Wide Web, where there’s lots of information at our fingertips. I find kids respect a knowledgeable teacher. It’s like you are a walking library or encyclopedia, in not just theory, but practical as well. A good Math teacher, too,Cheap Jerseys Free, must be able to use practical skills and experiences in everyday life in order to deliver the theory. All of the Maths I have done, I have applied to Physics.”With respect to Physics, where there is a dearth of such teachers and those pursuing studies at UG, Hackett reflected on the brain-drain in our society. He noted that it is the perception of many persons that Physics as well as Maths are “very hard subjects.” Hackett is one of the few Physics graduate in Berbice, a rare gem indeed.He spoke about the fundamentals of the two areas being applied in the designing of motor vehicles, electronic and communication devices, aircraft, spacecraft, watercraft,Cheap Jerseys 2018, “their designs are based on Physics really…a simple radio or television or cell phone circuits… you need to have a lot of Mathematical knowledge.”“Think about it,Wholesale Jerseys Online, Guyana imports such devices from the First World countries, because we do not have the skills to make them here. We need to have a critical mass of Natural Scientists in Guyana, not only in Physics, but Chemistry and Biology, in order for this country to advance…The sad thing is that as fast as we train them, they move to go to the (Caribbean) Islands.”He is willing to teach students who wish to pursue studies for the Associate Degree and Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics, but the numbers are too small at the moment (the requirement is 10 students for a class to be possible).“We don’t have a lot of qualified Physics teachers in the country right now; we have a lot of qualified Maths teachers, which is good!” “This creates a huge gap,” he added.During his training, he did part-time teaching at Bush Lot Secondary, where he taught Chemistry. He also did teaching stints at Tutorial Academy Secondary and Berbice High School in Maths and Physics.ASSESSING TEACHERS AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITIESOur ‘Special Person’ also spends time visiting teachers in their classrooms, across Berbice,Angelo Henriquez Chile Jersey, where he assesses their practical teaching. He believes too many teachers still rely too much on the chalkboard to engage their students. “It’s not that they are lazy; it’s just that they don’t know.”“Teachers should make use of the internet prior to planning their lessons. The internet can provide a pool of knowledge and information when it comes to lesson-planning. Facebook, for instance, can be a medium where valuable information can be shared among teachers, but rather, today it is used as a gossip medium; a stalking column; it’s a public diary…everything other than that which the founder Mark Zuckerberg intended. It’s like your home is now on display on the internet.”It is noteworthy that Michael Hackett is a Councilor in the Region Six Administration. He also serves on the Region Six Education Committee as well as the National Events Committee in Berbice, where he attends regular meetings. He is proud that he has been a Voluntary Blood Donor for a number of years now, and called on young and healthy Guyanese to give blood to save lives.For leisure, he enjoys cycling long distances within the Ancient County. He would bike from his Bloomfield, Corentyne residence to Moleson Creek and back! “It helps to keep me fit,” he said with a smile.  He also rides regularly into Black Bush Polder. “When you exercise your brain as well as body—it keeps you supremely fit—those are the two things we have to keep well.”He plans to ride from Bloomfield to Georgetown (approximately 85 miles). Good luck, sir!
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 23:06 , Processed in 0.071172 second(s), 28 queries .