9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-4-6 08:56:55 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“I know there are children who can make a difference…there are children who have the ability to perform. We just have to make them realize their potential, and that’s what I am trying to do— I do indeed have a passion for literacy,”By Leon SuseranSimone Abiola Dainty truly understands that reading is the key to success. This selfless,Simone Daintycommunity-minded Good Samaritan has been dedicating her time and energies to uplifting the standards of reading in schools across Berbice.When she retires to her home, she then spends a significant portion of her ‘downtime’ helping children in her community of Angoy’s Avenue read. And she finds joy and satisfaction from doing so, through the discovery of the results of children who formerly could not read, to being literate.That is her joy, being able to listen to a child read. Her job is well cut out for her in Berbice, as the Literacy Advisor attached to the Department of Education, Region Six. Simone Dainty is always hard at work, as she has been for a number of years, planning and taking initiatives to help children read, and equipping teachers, too, with the know-how and hands-on approaches to help children read and read better.She was born to ward-maid and Switchboard Operator at New Amsterdam Hospital, Ingrid and N/A Hospital Porter, Leroy Profit at Islington Village, East Bank Berbice. A large part of her childhood days was spent fishing and seeing how the wider community fished,cheap nfl jerseys, both for leisure and for a living. She recalled playing by the seawalls, gathering shrimp and watching ships and boats pass by on the Berbice River.“We would sit in the small fishing boats and throw lines and catch fish— we also enjoyed a lot ofDainty and a group of children at her library upon the completion of the Summer Reading Programme recentlyfishing using rods in trenches nearby,” she said.LOVE FOR CHILDRENYoung Simone attended Overwinning Primary after which she topped the school at theCommon Entrance Exams and was awarded a place at the Berbice High School. After writing her CXC Exams, she started to teach at age 16 as a Pupil Teacher at the Overwinning Primary.Entering the classroom at that tender age, the young teacher experienced much joy. “When I look back, I was still a child myself, so a lot of the activities— during break time, I would be among them (the children) skipping.” She recalled having lots of support from the teachers at that school, having worked under the headmistress back then, Mrs. Doreen Carter,Cheap Atlanta Braves Jerseys, “and I blossomed from there as a teacher.”She later attended the In-Service Teachers’ Training Programme, after which she became a Trained Grade 1 Class 1 Teacher. She continued teaching at Overwinning, where she spent 20 years. Her years there saw a young lady blossoming with love for children in helping them to read and better their reading skills.She particularly recalled one class of children in whom everyone had practically lost hope. Dainty worked hard with them at her home in the afternoons to boost whatever was being done during school time, “and I was so happy when about 95 perA group of young readers at the librarycent of those children passed the Common Entrance Exams and went on to High School.”The young proud teacher was shocked. “One of the things I try to do is to make learning fun for children, so I would try to make interactive ways to stimulate the process.”Dainty also attended the University of Guyana, where she read for her Bachelor of Education Degree, and credits the man in her life for her being successful during this period of study.That man is her husband, Howard Dainty,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, whom she says is a huge support to her. They share five loving children – Safeena, Dawood, Daniella, Samuel and Jared.“He gave me the encouragement to go on; he would go with me to the National Library and sit with me— in the nights— wake me up in the mornings when it was time to study and so forth…and I am very grateful to that.”HELPING ERADICATE ILLITERACYDainty also completed the Ministry of Education’s Management Programme as well as other Courses with the Institute of Distance and Continuing Education (IDCE), such as Education Administration.She did studies in the Literacy Professional Development Course, which lay theAt her office at the Department of Education, Berbicegroundwork for her huge, but attainable task of getting the young boys and girls, as well as teachers, in the habit of reading more.Her work with the Department of Education in New Amsterdam started after being successful at the Literacy Course. She worked alongside, Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), British Citizen, Ms. Liza Hartlin, who she says really inspired her to take up the challenge to help eradicate illiteracy in Berbice.“Because of my performance, they asked me to take over (from Hartlin).” She then proceeded to understudy another VSO at the Dept. of Education at the time, Ms. Shelly Dickson. Dainty did so in 2012, after Dickson left.She also became attached to the National Centre for Educational Resource Development (NCERD), and would traverse the length and breadth of Guyana, to the various regions, to take her literacy initiatives. Last year, she visited Region Nine, where her work took her to Aishalton. She also visited Bartica to conduct literacy training of teachers.The 18-month Literacy Professional Development Course, she added, aims at training teachers to teach by blending literacy into their daily teaching methods. It is also aimed at inculcating literacy into all subject areas, using five modules – phonics; readingA familiar sight. Helping another child to read.comprehension; composition writing; dealing with reading modules, and spelling.“The programme is very beneficial,” she stated. This is revealed through her numerous visits to schools by observing teachers teach using various strategies. “I’ve seen some spectacular lessons being done…materials being prepared and so on.”It should be noted that NCERD reported a drastic improvement in literacy abilities of children in Region Six, a development most pleasing to Dainty and her teachers. Because of the benefits of such a programme, the number of teachers that would be allowed to study in the next batch would be increased to from 4 to 54.‘VERANDAH LIBRARY’After her 20-year stint at Overwinning Primary, Dainty, with the support of her husband, decided to do something for their community – sort of like giving back to the people of Angoy’s Avenue.She started what was referred to as a ‘Verandah Library’. One of the things that led to her starting the library was the fact that her visits to schools as Literacy Advisor would have her hearing not-so-nice remarks and comments about the reading and literacy levels of children living in Angoy’s Avenue,Jeff Green Jersey, New Amsterdam, “and so, I wanted to make a difference.”“Even though Angoy’s Avenue is a big area and I know I can’t reach everybody, I still see who I can reach,” she said. So the library started up, where she asked friends and other supporters, including overseas-based donors for story books and other resources. In the afternoon after work, Dainty would get home and lay out the books on benches and tables on her verandah and the children would borrow the books. She also conducted free reading sessions.Eventually, the overseas-based group, New Amsterdamers International (NAI) heard about her work, andOur ‘special person’ does find some time to relax!contributed several barrels of books. They also assisted her in the construction of a proper building to house the library, where more children can now benefit from its added facilities and amenities.She related that there have been regular Summer Classes with the children of the area, a tradition that began four years ago. It should be noted that last year (2014), Dainty said that she had to end up doing two separate sessions of Summer Reading Classes, since the numbers of children increased, “and more parents were coming and asking for their children to be involved.”Cognizant that children at the foundation levels of Grades One and Two need a lot of help with reading so that they can grasp certain concepts early, Dainty plans to do reading classes for those categories twice per week.Today, the makeshift verandah library that started quietly at her home has grown into a place buzzing with reading, writing and spelling activity every afternoon after school.“We are also opened on Sundays—- children from the neighbourhood would come and use the computer. We provide them with assistance on projects and other assignments.”She is proud to provide the assistance, especially since many parents are not in the position to do so, “so I’m there and sometimes we go until nine in the nights.” She is ably assisted by her husband and children until she arrives home from work.“I really get a lot of support from them for the library.”PASSION FOR HELPING CHILDRENHer passion for helping children to become more literate stems from her days growing up. “Somehow, Angoy’s Avenue reminds me of growing up in Islington— we grew up poor— and my grandmother was always pushing us to read and learn— and the people used to look down on Islington due to the crime and such.”On the same wavelength, she understood what it meant as a villager of Angoy’s Avenue, to feel stigmatized.“I know there are children who can make a difference…there are children who have the ability to perform. We just have to make them realize their potential, and that’s what I am trying to do— I do indeed have a passion for literacy,” she asserted.She noted that the poor reading rates and habits of children may be attributed to the teaching strategies used by both teachers and parents, “where a lot of teaching was done using the rote method.”“Teaching of reading using the phonetic approach is the way to go,” Dainty noted, “because when you use the rote method,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, you are teaching mostly whole words, and when the children learn to read by (using) the letters, they’re not actually hearing sounds, but when they use sounds, they can attack new words and be able to pronounce new words.”The Ministry of Education, she added, has embarked on a rigorous drive though all of its literacy initiatives to promote literacy via phonetic awareness.“We’re hoping teachers buy into this strategy instead of just using the chalk and talk (method).” The phonetic approach may take some preparation to teach, since aides and such like will have to be used, but it’s worth the work; it’s making learning meaningful, fun and interactive.”A TYPICAL DAYA typical day for Ms. Dainty begins by going to work on time, provided that no child turns up early in the morning at her house to use the library. “We do have children who have homework and suddenly they remember in the morning, and so, they would come and ask, ‘Could you lend me so and so book— do you have so and so book…I have homework.’”While at work, she would sometimes venture out into the fields,Cheap Sports Jerseys, visiting schools and monitoring the implementation of the literacy programme, after which she returns home around 17:00 hrs, and gets ready for the children who would visit the library. “I would stagger my chores between preparing dinner and monitoring the library.”Our ‘Special Person’ had wise words of advice for parents as well as teachers out there with children who may be a bit slow in reading. First of all, she urged that support be given to both weak and the not-so-weak children.“There are CDs and DVDs on teaching of reading; the Jolly Phonics; Hooked on Phonics and so on— these are on sale— they can buy them and have their children view them.”Dainty added, too, that one of the things her Department is promoting are the Parental Sessions and Seminars, during which parents of nursery and primary-aged children are sensitized how to teach those children to read.And she extended the invitation to any parent of any child who may be having reading difficulties. “The doors of my library are always opened to the public. It’s not restricted.”Dainty is the Children’s Ministry Leader of her Church, the Eden Seventh-day Adventist Church, where she also promotes literacy and helps the children there to read.She is the Director of the Adventurers Club at the Seventh-Day Adventist churches and the District Adventurers Club Chairperson for the Berbice No. 1 and 2 districts. The Berbice Regional Health Authority recognized Simone Dainty as an Outstanding Woman during their awards ceremony in 2014. She hopes, too, to publish a little book very shortly with 42 of her poems.An interesting and special person indeed!
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 15:38 , Processed in 0.061164 second(s), 26 queries .