4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-4-23 13:57:59 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“Have you stopped beating your wife?”  I asked the person across the table from me.  It had been a long and exhausting negotiating session.  Known, even famous, for his loquacity, the man had droned on and on ad nauseam. I took a mental break and started to check my emails, read the online newspapers, and generally tuned out.  I mentally returned to the meeting when he kept repeating, his voice increasing in volume: “Say ‘yes’ or ‘no’!  Say ‘yes’ or ‘no’!” Did I possess any special information that would have justified my question?  Yes, but not about whether he beat his wife or not. That was not the point I was making. I am sure that most women now, particularly if they are educated, know that they are protected under the domestic violence laws which make wife-beating a criminal offence.  It was the “yes” or “no” that did it.  I used the question about whether he had stopped beating his wife to illustrate a point that is fundamental to communications theory.Essentially,Cheap Jordan Shoes For Sale, regardless of what the lawyers think, or judges demand, or the courts mandate, there are some questions that cannot be answered by “Yes” or “No”.  “Have you stopped beating your wife?” is one of them if you’re not prone to felonious assault on your better half. For those who are, it is a perfectly normal question, the answer to which does not require more than “Yes” or “No”.  Fortunately, most of us do not fall within that category.This type of question is called a “double-bind”.   There are two types of double-bind.  The first is a psychological impasse created when contradictory demands are made of an individual,Nike Air Max 1 Mens Shoe, such as a child or an employee, so that no matter which directive is followed, the response will be construed as incorrect.  The second is a situation in which a person must choose between equally unsatisfactory alternatives; a punishing and inescapable dilemma.The first type of double-bind was explained by Paul Watzlawick,NCAA Baseball Jerseys, communications theorist (Answers.com): “A mother buys two neckties for her little boy, one green and one blue. The next day, the child is in a hurry to sport the green necktie. The mother: “So you don’t like the blue tie I gave you?” The next day the boy puts on the blue tie and draws the symmetrical response: “So you don’t like the green tie I gave you?” So, on the third day, the child tries to find a compromise solution in order to satisfy his mother’s two demands: he puts on the two ties together. And his mother comments: “You poor boy, you’re out of your mind. You’re going to drive me crazy.”This paradoxical injunction,Nike Air Max 97 Order Online, where the double-bind mechanism is particularly obvious, clearly shows the annihilating effects on the person at the receiving end.  All of us go through variations of this some time in our lives.”The second meaning of “double-bind” — choosing between two unpalatable choices — is also common. The main man behind the double-bind theory was Gregory Bateson.  An elaborate joke was created to explain the double-bind. Bateson and his colleague, Jay Haley, went to visit a colleague in Phoenix, where they stopped at the National Park and took a walk.  They were so engrossed in their discussions on double-binds and schizophrenia they lost track of the time and the way.Suddenly they found themselves face-to-face with a huge bear. Bateson climbed a tree and Haley sought shelter in a cave. Before Bateson could take stock of his situation, he saw Haley running out of the cave and almost into the bear that was now looking at Bateson speculatively.  Haley rushed back into the cave and then in seconds pelted back out, missing the other bear by an inch, and headed straight into the cave again only to re-emerge at speed. Bateson advised,Air Max 90 Black Leather, “Why don’t you stay put in the cave?  You’re making this bear nervous.”  Haley, who was streaking out of the cave again, responded shrilly, “There’s another bear in here!”The “New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy” looks at the double-bind posed by the novel “Catch 22” (1961) by the American author Joseph Heller: “Catch-22 is a provision in army regulations; it stipulates that a soldier’s request to be relieved from active duty can be accepted only if he is mentally unfit to fight. Any soldier,Jordan Sneakers Wholesale, however, who has the sense to ask to be spared the horrors of war is obviously mentally sound, and therefore must stay to fight. Figuratively, a “Catch-22” is any absurd arrangement that puts a person in a double-bind: for example, a person can’t get a job without experience,Nike Air Max Outlet Store, but can’t get experience without a job.” In George Orwell’s 1984 there was the double-bind that if you want to have a successful revolution, you have to educate the masses; if you want to educate the masses, you must have a successful revolution. I grew up with a lot of double-binds in my life.  For instance, “I’m sure you didn’t brush your teeth?” leaves little room for “Yes” or “No” but it is peremptory and imperative when you go through the maternal gauntlet before heading off to school. At school, I found an interesting one.  There was this man named Henry, whose cry “Help the blind!” was shrill and plaintive enough to cause people to stop and put money into the battered felt hat which served as his collection plate — until one of the students took out a quarter and started waving it in a circle.  Henry started moving his hat round and round keeping pace and direction with the coin.We didn’t know about “tunnel vision” in those days.  What we knew is that Henry was not what we called “blind”.  So every time we saw Henry after that we would put him in a double-bind by saying loudly, “Henry, you still pretending you blind?” * Tony Deyal was last seen trying to be spontaneous while watching a sign that said, “Ignore This Sign”.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 08:53 , Processed in 0.085875 second(s), 28 queries .