10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-4-27 06:06:44 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Sharmain Cornette“About two percent of the patients who undergo open-heart surgery worldwide end up with a stroke.” This notion was amplified yesterday by Chief Executive Officer of the Caribbean Heart Institute (CHI), Dr Gary Stephens, during an interview with this newspaper.And this state of affairs, Dr Stephens noted, does not mean that there is a deficiency or that something is wrong with the system.His remarks came even as he commented on the condition of two-year-old Udesh Ragubar, one of the children who underwent open-heart surgery at CHI last month. He was diagnosed with a hole in his heart when he was nine months old.Reports are that the young boy who hails from Edinburgh,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, East Bank Berbice, had become listless a few days after undergoing successful surgery. Efforts have since been engaged to have him travel overseas to undergo treatment for his condition.Dr Stephens explained, yesterday, that the two-year-old developed a neurological event about one week after his operation and currently requires some form of rehabilitation.“From a cardiac standpoint, though, his heart is back to normal…Unfortunately I think in our society as we bring new technology on board people also have to be realistic that open-heart surgery is not without risks.”And according to the Cardiac Surgeon, the major risk factor for open-heart surgery,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, after dying, is a stroke. Often is the case, he said that people try to divorce the two things (open-heart surgery and stroke), adding that the fact of the matter is that the two things cannot be separated.“It doesn’t matter where the surgery is done there is always a risk and it happens in any part of the world,” Dr Stephens insisted.The Cardiac Surgeon revealed that even in New York (United States), where facilities are modern beyond what obtain in developing countries,Wholesale China Jerseys, some patients are prone to developing stroke.He ascertained that having a stroke from open-heart surgery is not unusual as it happens all the time. “Last Monday we did a surgery on a guy and on Wednesday he had a stroke…But he is recovering from it because one of the differences I think between here (Guyana) and there (United States) is that there is more stroke rehabilitation there than we have here. So that is a problem in itself…”But even though afflicted with a neurological challenge, Dr Stephens noted that the cardiac aspect of Ragubar’s condition has greatly improved. “I saw the kid yesterday (Friday) and I was flabbergasted; he looks great visually, he is well nourished and his heart is functioning fine but he has the ongoing neurological issue.“Things like that sometimes take away from the bigger picture…We operated on several kids but one has problems but then again a complication is a complication and I wouldn’t have wanted to be that kids dad to deal with that…That is difficult it is not easy to handle,” Dr Stephens asserted.According to him, it is expected that the parents of the child would opt to vent their feelings and try to lay blame, given the fact that the child needed help for one condition but now is overwhelmed by another.“I wouldn’t criticise the mother of this child; she has the right to feel a way because if I had brought my kid for this procedure and this is what happened I would feel bad too.” It is however unfortunate, Dr Stephens said, that based on some reports the mother has chosen to separate the fact that open-heart surgery could bring with it neurological challenges.But like everything else that occurs at CHI, Dr Stephens noted that every effort will be made to review the procedures that were engaged during the operation to see if there were any actions that are correctible.However, he noted that the reality is that when it comes to open-heart surgery it is seldom that the incidence of stroke can be preventable. He did disclose though that there may be some manoeuvres that can be utilised that can serve to lessen the risk of the incidence of stroke but “most of the time there is nothing that we can do, Dr Stephens lamented.Nonetheless, he expressed overall satisfaction with the recent paediatric open-heart operations which were undertaken by a team of medical experts drawn from various reputable hospitals in the United States.The team was led by Dr Sheel Vatsia, a Paediatric Surgeon. Though he had great optimism that most of the patients would recover incident free, Dr Sheel had noted that there was the likelihood that there could have been some challenges in the recovery process.“I think overall the whole procedure was a success. This kid is unfortunate; we will review everything and once we have taken a hard look at what was done we will move on. I think there is still a lot of kids who will benefit from what we do,” Dr Stephens noted.In the meantime, he said that efforts will be made to determine whether “we are doing something that is right and safe and I think if we are able to answer those questions honestly, not only from me but from an independent person who looks at what we are doing, and the answer is yes that we are making the appropriate choices then we will carry on.”He further asserted that even though every measure may be in place it still does not mean that during another operation several months from now that another child may not suffer complications.Ragubar, like the several other children,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China, had their operations at CHI sponsored by New York- based philanthropist, George Subraj,China Jerseys Cheap, and a number of other supportive individuals and entities last month,Wholesale Jerseys From China, a move which marked the introduction of paediatric open-heart surgery in Guyana.Dr Stephens is optimistic that another bout of paediatric operations could be possible by October.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 07:48 , Processed in 0.054578 second(s), 26 queries .