2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-4-30 19:56:19 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Known as "Concrete Charlie," Bednarik epitomized the tough-guy linebacker and also was an outstanding center for the Eagles from 1949 to 1962. He is best remembered for a game-saving tackle at the 9-yard line on the final play of the 1960 title game, and it was typical Bednarik. He threw Green Bay running back Jim Taylor to the ground and refused to let him up while the final seconds ticked off as the Eagles held on for a 17-13 win.
In 1950, he was All-NFL as a center, then he was voted All-NFL as a linebacker in 1951 through 1957,NFL Jerseys China Cheap, and again in 1960.
The Maxwell Football Club presents an award in Bednarik's honor to the defensive player of the year in college football.
Two of his daughters said Bednarik had dementia, an affliction common in former professional football players.
"Philadelphia fans grow up expecting toughness, all-out effort and a workmanlike attitude from this team and so much of that image has its roots in the way Chuck played the game," Lurie said in a statement released by the team.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Chuck Bednarik, a Pro Football Hall of Famer and one of the last great two-way NFL players, died early Saturday. He was 89.
In early 2005,NFL Jerseys Outlet, when the Eagles won the NFC championship and had Philadelphia in a Super Bowl frenzy, Bednarik was bitter enough to root for the Patriots in the Super Bowl. He later apologized to owner Jeff Lurie and was a welcomed visitor at training camp and other alumni functions.
"I certainly think it played a big role in it — he took a lot of blows and they certainly didn't have the safety equipment they have now back then," McWilliams told The Express-Times. "It seemed like quite a few of the guys he played with and against had it."
"He died from dementia from football-related head injuries," Charlene Thomas told the The Express-Times of Easton "It was not brief."
Bednarik was the last NFL starter to play regularly on both offense and defense until Deion Sanders did so for Dallas in 1996. Sanders' achievement hardly impressed Bednarik.
Pamela McWilliams, who also believes football injuries played a role in his decline, said her father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
"The positions I played,Cheap Jerseys, every play, I was making contact,China Adidas Hockey Jerseys, not like that ... Deion Sanders," Bednarik said. "He couldn't tackle my wife. He's back there dancing out there instead of hitting."
"Everybody reminds me of it and I'm happy they remind me of it," Bednarik once said. "I'm proud and delighted to have played in that game."
Bednarik, whose gnarled fingers in retirement stood as a reminder of the ruggedness of his profession, said he never made more than $27,000 in a season and supplemented his income by selling concrete, earning his nickname. At one point, he pawned his championship ring and his Hall of Fame ring.
He died at an assisted living facility in Richland, Pennsylvania,Wholesale Jerseys, following a brief illness, the Eagles said in a statement.
Bednarik is survived by his wife, Emma, and five daughters —Thomas,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, McWilliams, Donna Davis, Carol Safarowic, and Jackie Chelius, as well as 10 grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
Bednarik, who frequently criticized modern athletes, said he played on all but two kickoffs against the Packers and could have kept playing if he needed to, unlike today's players who "suck air after five plays." He missed only three games in his 14-year career.
The tackle on Taylor actually was the second hit that season that drew headlines. Earlier in 1960, he knocked out New York Giants running back Frank Gifford with a blow so hard that Gifford suffered a concussion and didn't play again until 1962.

An iconic photograph captured Bednarik pumping his fist over Gifford's prone body, though the linebacker insisted he wasn't gloating. He said he didn't notice what happened to Gifford after the hit and only saw that he had fumbled and another Eagle recovered the ball.
Born May 1, 1925, in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Bednarik flew 30 combat missions over Germany as a gunner during World War II. He then played center for Penn from 1945 to 1948, and was selected first overall in the 1949 NFL draft by the Eagles.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 21:14 , Processed in 0.071361 second(s), 28 queries .