4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-5-20 15:38:59 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– Hope and despair for those living with HIVBy Rabindra RooplallFor the past 13 years, Michael has been living with HIV, and is living proof that being tested positive for the so-called AIDS virus isn’t a death sentence.Michael (not his real name) is one of the estimated 5,700 persons living with HIV in Guyana; that is not to say that Michael has had an easy ride.He could have easily been sucked in by the stigma and discrimination that is still prevalent despite years of public education campaigns. HIV is still widely considered a disease of the immoral, and persons tested positive are pushed into a deathbed world by family and friends.Even those who feign acceptance of persons living with HIV are yet still afraid to eat with an HIV-infected person, or to share the person’s utensils.Michael, now 47, lives the so-called “normal life” almost a decade and a half since he was tested positive.And this is in large part due to the Anti-Retroviral drugs, or ARVs, that the government provides free of charge to all those who need it.A recent joint report of the World Health Organisation, the Joint United Nations programme on AIDS and the United Nations Children’s Fund has identified Guyana as being among eight developing nations that have achieved universal access with respect to the provision of medication to people living with HIV/AIDS.This means, that more than 80 percent of persons living with HIV in Guyana and who need ARVS, can access the drugs.But the National AIDS Committee, which welcomed this announcement, bemoaned the fact that Guyana is in the peculiar position of having a high-level technical (medical) response within a legal and social setting that remains retrograde and still uncaring to persons affected by HIV and AIDS.The Committee called for this contradiction to be addressed urgently, since dwindling international funding implies that sustainability of universal access in Guyana will require a major national response.“Guyana is, therefore, confronted with the challenge of mobilizing national financial resources to sustain universal access in an environment in which disregard for PLWHIV (People living with HIV) is manifest in stigma, in calls for criminalizing HIV, in moral rejection, in retention of laws which criminalize homosexual activity, in unprecedented levels of violence against women and the disbanding of the main organization of PLWHIV,” the Committee stated late last month.Michael, who works as an HIV Counselor/Tester, said lack of knowledge of the virus can cause persons to discriminate and stigmatise individuals living with HIV.He wants more persons to step into the shoes of persons who have the virus and try to understand how they cope and feel.“One of my colleagues’ mother died a couple of months ago of cancer,” he related. She told him: “Son, let me tell you something, I’d rather have HIV than cancer, because you can still live.”Another woman who is HIV-positive, Tricia (not her real name), said many people find it is easier to talk to a stranger than a family member or friend.“Some people can be terribly judgmental of the HIV virus, and (the virus) should not have the stigma attached to it that it does,” she said.With ARVS, Michael has been able to live a full life. He says people living with HIV should accept what has happened and it should be treated as any other illnesses, since the greatest challenge is to “get support from your relatives and friends.”The stoutly built Michael said that he got all the support from his family members who were remarkably understanding and optimistic, since they were mostly in the medical profession.After doing his own research about the virus, he told the doctor that he would take the relevant tests for opportunistic infections. This cleared the way for him to receive his ARVS.“For years I never had any (side) effects of any type from the two medications that I use at a specific time each night,” he revealed.   Over the years, Michael has faced psychological, emotional and physical issues, but he has learnt to deal with those issues.“You cannot look at how somebody would feel, you must cherish that you have life that is the most important thing,” Michael said.Tricia, mentioned earlier, has also been able to live a normal life, despite having HIV, and that includes becoming a mother.“My partner and I bought a home pregnancy test. With all the excitement that I am pregnant, my doctor advised us to take an HIV test. It was positive, so I started my medication and my son is negative… he is a Christmas baby.”“It’s not a death sentence. Our attitude helps a lot you have to tell yourself you will live long. And you will!” she says.The sprightly looking Tricia said that if someone knows he or she is HIV positive, it allows them to take the required steps to prevent passing the HIV infection on to someone else. Many people have been HIV positive for years and have never known because they did not get an HIV test.Everyone should have an HIV test once a year or more often if they practice behavior, which puts them at risk. If you are not HIV positive, “then this is an opportunity to make sure you protect yourself from HIV exposure by quitting behavior that increases the risk of becoming infected.”She recommends that people living with HIV should seek the support of family and friends. “Too many HIV patients do not disclose their status to the people who really keep them happy.“If you can lean on your family and friends for support, you will be taking care of your emotional health. HIV affects the entire family, whether you want it to or not. Your family should stand behind you; if not, find someone else. Raising AIDS awareness is the only way to help keep people safe from this disease.”Many people believe they cannot have HIV because they do not have symptoms or signs of being sick. However, the symptoms of HIV are very similar to the common cold or illness. Most people do not develop symptoms of HIV immediately after becoming infected.Usually HIV will produce symptoms within two to four weeks of a person becoming infected.The most common symptoms of HIV are fever,Jerseys NFL China, headache, sore throat, and rash. This is why most people assume they have just a cold or allergy inflammation, not HIV.AIDS stands for “Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome”. HIV stands for the “Human Immunodeficiency Virus”. HIV is a retrovirus that infects cells of the immune system (mainly CD4 cells and macrophages—key components of the cellular immune system), and destroys or impairs their function. HIV infection results in the progressive depletion of the immune system, leading to “immune deficiency”.Guyana’s first AIDS cases were reported in 1987. According to UNDP estimates, around 2.4 percent of the population is living with HIV/AIDS. Over 80 percent of cases occurred in the 20-49 age group, and were particularly prevalent in the 25-29 age range. HIV/AIDS poses an unprecedented health, economic, and social challenge on a global scale.According to the UN secretary General Ban-Ki-Moon, fewer people are becoming infected with HIV.  Millions of people have gained access to HIV treatment.More women are now able to prevent their babies from becoming infected with HIV.Many countries are lifting travel restrictions for people living with HIV, as stigma gives way — still too slowly — to compassion and recognition of human rights.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 04:32 , Processed in 0.074473 second(s), 28 queries .