9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-5-23 16:23:54 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“I felt very strongly to help the needy, and as a spiritually rich woman, I began to serve the less fortunate with the tremendous support of my siblings and my family.”By Leon SuseranWhether it was feeding the hungry or caring for the sick, from a very tender age, Kawalpattie DayaramKawalpattie Dayarampopularly known as ‘Auntie Brahash’, witnessed her father doing charitable works around the village. This is what she modeled her life after, continuing the work of her now deceased father to the present day.Her community works are well known since she has a passion for helping the poor and disadvantaged,Jerseys NFL China, especially women. This led to her forming a benevolent organisation dedicated to the empowerment and upliftment of women around the Berbice area, with particular focus on East Canje.She was born on December 20, 1956 to Budhram Jugoor, a foreman attached to the Rose Hall Estate and Sumintra Budhram, a housewife. She described her father as a very dedicated and hardworking man. Her mother,Wholesale NFL Jerseys China, however, died when Kawalpattie was five. She has very little knowledge of her mother, but recalled fond memories of her foster-mother,Cheap NFL Jerseys, Sheila.“Visiting the cinemas was very exciting in those days. We would go the Rajmahal Cinema in East Canje on Thursdays to see Indian movies, which we used to call ‘Doubles’ back then. On Saturday nights, I accompanied my mom to the Globe or Strand Cinema to watch movies.“She was a very loving and caring mother who taught us well on morals and values,” she said. Although all her parents have passed on, she noted how they were able to instill positive values and morals. “My father has instilled in me some of his principles and teachings, which I try to put into practice— that is, giving to charity; assist and serve our fellow human beings in need.”“He was a very caring, compassionate human being,” she noted. “My fatherDuring an outreach exercise supporting less fortunate children.was a great man; he taught me very well and taught his children good moral values, to do good socially,Stitched Jerseys, economically, and spiritually.”Most importantly,Cheap NFL Jerseys, she noted how vital attending the local Mandir has been to her continued success in life. “I always make sure I go to Mandir regularly and find some meaningful activities to engage myself in.”She reflected on how enjoyable those experiences were, especially since she drew inspiration from the messages of the songs in the movies. “I honestly learned a lot from the movies, because when I look at a movie, I look at the intent behind it. Many of those experiences, I have adopted in my life.”Kawalpattie received her education at the Reliance Primary School. She recalled her being a very shy “home girl” who always liked to stay home and help in the kitchen whether itSpreading Phagwah cheer recently to East Canje’s oldest resident, 103-year-old Ellen Bennywas the preparation or cooking of meals for the family. “I liked to do household chores and assist in taking care of my nieces and nephews.”At the tender age of 17, she got married to her neighbour, Deonarayan Dayaram, a labourer at Rose Hall Estate at the time. They used to see each other and met as well at the events of the Mandir in the village. They fell in love and got married after courting for five years. Their union bore three children. She also enjoys, too, the company of her four grandchildrenVITAL ROLE“As a married woman,NFL Jerseys Cheap, I have learnt that women play a vital role in society, whether it is taking care of the family or otherwise— women have to undertake responsibilities. “I take that responsibility very serious. Myself and husband have tried our very best, despite hardships, to give our children the best education they could ask for,” she added.Dayaram spoke proudly of teaching and instilling in her children and grandchildrenAt the Indian Arrival Day celebrations at Plantation Highbury last yearthe importance a sound education, which she could not afford, as well as traits of obedience, kindness, honesty, and contentment with whatever they had. “And most importantly to show respect to the elderly.”On September 13, 2009, Dayaram was inspired to do something for women in the area, and so, she gathered women around the area to form the East Canje Humanitarian Society (ECHS) – a non-profit, non-religious, social organization registered under the Friendly Societies Act.CHARITABLE WORKSBut even before she formed the Society, she was involved in numerous charitable works. “I have always liked to help children…if they need anything— I learned it from my Mandir…but I wanted to do more,” she noted. And so, with the desire to do such works in a more organised fashion and harnessing the support and skills of others, the ECHS was formed.“I felt very strongly to help the needy, and as a spiritually rich woman, I began toDayaram (L) being honoured by Guyanese Women In Development (GUYWID) as an ‘Outstanding Woman’serve the less fortunate with the tremendous support of my siblings and my family.”Women from Goed Bananen Land, Besty Ground, Canefield, Number Two Village and Palmyra were then sought out. All of these women were also members of their local mandirs. Dayaram has been actively engaged in various projects to help the poor, especially disadvantaged women across Berbice. Whether it is visiting the sick; taking food for the poor; donating hampers; clothing and groceries; or spending time with a centenarian, the ECHS has done it.The group has done a lot of activities in the past including home visits to bedridden persons; workshops on Breast Cancer; donation to earthquake-stricken Haiti; hampers to the less fortunate; stationery for schoolchildren; school vouchers; feeding of children; clothing distributions to mandirs, churches, health centres, the Amerindian Hostel, Dharam Shala, and residents of Mara, East Bank Berbice.She has served as President of the organisation for the past five years.  ”I feel good, because when you make people happy, that is the most important thing— when you are able to lessen their suffering,” she asserted.Dayaram is encouraging all women to acquire as much education as possible. “I see a lot of improvement in women; I can see lots of women driving cars on the road…working and being more independent today…they do so many things for themselves. It’s encouraging.”“My advice to women is to arise and work selflessly to reform and improve themselves to work for the betterment and progress of their children in particular. Pay keen attention to your children, especially when it comes to their nutrition. It might sound funny, but it all starts in the kitchen— what you cook and give them to eat most times determines how they would behave. Also, make sure they are decently attired. Do not underestimate the impression that people get from how you dress.”TOUCHING LIVESDayaram noted how satisfied she feels with doing works of charity, especially touching the lives of women. She holds dear the sacred scriptures of her religion as well. “From my Mandir level, one of my six principles says, to do good to the whole world, is the main object of the Samaj— to improve the physical, spiritual and social status of human experience, one should have dealings with all, in accordance with love and prosperity.”Today, she and her husband reside in the quiet and small village of Goed Bananen Land, East Canje. “The village is not very big but the residents are very helpful and cooperative,” she said.“The primary aim of the ECHS is to assist and serve the community especially bed- ridden children, adults and the less-fortunate. Myself and 19 other females first formed this group, which consists of dedicated and caring members who volunteer their time selflessly. Together, we put our heads, our hearts and our hands together to succeed in whatever we do.”The group, she says, works hand-in-hand with other Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), including Guyanese Women in Development (GUYWID), Guyanese Families Uniting Society & Empowerment (GUYFUSE), as well as the East Canje African Cultural Group.“I can say that it’s been a very challenging position being President, but quite satisfying to see a smile on someone else’s face,” she added. It should be noted, too, that the group plays a vital role each year in the Commemoration Ceremony of the Rose Hall Estate Martyrdom as well as the planning and organising of the ceremonies to remember the Rose Hall Estate Clarifier Incident.Additionally, the community leader is a member of the East Canje Community Developmental Association (ECCDA), but is a bit dissatisfied at the dormancy of the organisation over recent years. She is also a committee member of the Goed Bananen Land Clinic and the Programme Coordinator of the Berbice Central Arya Samaj. She sings all over the region at various mandirs and is well-known on the popular TV Programme ‘Vedo Ki Vaani’ on LRTVS Channel 10. She was also instrumental in the refurbishing of the Reliance Crematorium.”I love singing and this kind of humanitarian work that I’m doing…I go out and look for people.” Dayaram emphasises that she enjoys “helping the helpless, and we also find domestic work for people and so on”.It should be noted that Dayaram was honoured  with the title of ‘Dharma Sevak’ in 1997 by the Rishi Dayanand Gurukul—an institution of Vedic Learning. GUYWID also awarded her ‘Outstanding Woman’ recently. She also did extensive work with the New Jersey Arya Samaj Humanitarian Mission.She ended by reiterating for her fellow womenfolk the importance of an excellent education.“It makes a woman perfect. It makes you whole. Having the best education will set everything right. We have to be perfect women to prepare perfect children for our society. We must be brave and fearless and remove any thoughts of inferiority from our minds and hearts. We are second to none. Let us light the lamp of education and dispel the darkness of illiteracy from each home,” she reflected.“My wish is for us all to resolve quarrels and disputes without violence and set afloat the waves of love throughout the world. But most of all, we must ask God to have mercy on us, so as to enable us to bring his bright light into our darkened hearts.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 06:17 , Processed in 0.071728 second(s), 28 queries .