4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-6-10 13:03:25 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Pull Quote: “Christmas here is very nice, we get to dance, sing, and eat fancy things and just have a nice time. I really don’t miss Christmas outside; they treat us nicely in here. Ask anybody.” – Inmate “John”By Rehana Ashley AhamadChristmas is arguably the most thrilling and engaging time of year, when persons irrespective of creed come together and celebrate in harmony. During this time of year we think of the less fortunate – orphans, those living in abject poverty, the homeless, and even the dead – but what about the mentally ill?The Old and the NewEarlier this month, I asked myself that very question and opined that not a lot of people even know or care what the National Psychiatric Hospital at Fort Canje, crudely referred to as the “Berbice Mad House” looks like, and even if they do, why would they want to know about Christmas there. So I took the initiative to visit the facility,NFL Jerseys China, primarily to see if it was possible to capture the mood.As the car drove smoothly across the Berbice Bridge, I began to panic for some reason, not knowing what to expect. A short time after crossing I started peering anxiously through the window, looking for the location.The driver suddenly stopped. “Yuh reach de mad house,” he blurted out. A shiver went down my spine as I exited, unable to take my eyes off two creepy looking edifices.The two buildings stood in line with a flat, well-painted, cream-coloured concrete building, which I later learnt is a storage area for the patients’ medication. These were the only three buildings visible from where I had disembarked.I approached cautiously. A female security guard then appeared and identified herself as being in charge of the aforementioned store room. She then explained that the two old buildings that caused my unease were not the psychiatric hospital. They were the old facility. What a relief!The guard then directed me to a street adjacent to the storage facility which she assured would lead me to the “operational” institution. I thanked her and proceeded.The results of constructive use of the craft and sewing room in the hospitalAs I approached the entrance of the location that I had been directed to, I realized that it wasn’t as bad as I had imagined.Upon entering, I saw several persons doing laundry as they talked to themselves, which at first seemed very amusing, until it actually hit me that these people are really ill and are essentially shunned by society for some of the things that they have no control over.Christmas, in my opinion, is not just a day but a season that comes once a year not just for persons to clean their homes and buy the fanciest things, but it’s the time of year that you actually show that you care about someone.The opposite of the message that Christmas brings is neglecting a family member, relative or friend because he or she is admitted at a mental institution; as a matter of fact, it is the worst thing that you can do to a mentally ill person; neglect them, not only at Christmas, but generally.Imagine you’re admitted to a hospital, everyone has family and friends visiting them during the granted visitation hours, and you just sit there, waiting patiently, counting each second left for the hour, just hoping to see a familiar face. This continues for days, weeks, months and eventually years – but don’t think by that time you will be immune to the pain because your heart still gets broken every day, every visitation hour and every time you see another patient being comforted by their loved ones.Nevertheless, as I was made aware, neither patients nor Christmas is ever neglected at the National Psychiatric Hospital as the dedicated management and staff seize the opportunity to make the patients truly happy and feel loved.According to a senior functionary, planned events for the season include window shopping; carol singing on the streets and pavements of New Amsterdam, a Christmas party and a well prepared feast. So have no fear, the mentally ill are well taken care of at this time of the year.Inmates singing Christmas carolsManagement hopes that relatives would come out to visit and help spread happiness among the inmates, giving them the motivation they need to improve.My visit to the institution made me realize that families play a huge role in the development of these individuals, it can either make or break them. I have seen how a small gift makes the faces of these inmates light up. It seems almost magical.I had the opportunity to briefly speak with two of the inmates at the institution. The one who grabbed my attention the most was a medium height, curly-haired gentleman, whose name I’d prefer to not to disclose, but will refer to as “John”.“John” is a very sweet man in his 50s but looks good for his age. I was informed that he has been a patient at the facility for more than 18 years. Not only is he loved by his fellow inmates, but by the staff as well.John was convicted but served only three years of a life sentence he was given for murdering his abusive father. He is presently in a recovery process and is doing well at the institution.I learnt that he was a good artist and has been among those making good use of the craft room. He claims to have taught at the Burrowes School of Art and to have been a very close friend and working partner of renowned archeologist, the late Dr. Denis Williams. Many at the school vouched for this as they sung praises of John.John’s coherence enabled me to ask him what Christmases are like at the hospital.“Christmas here is very nice, we get to dance, sing, and eat fancy things and just have a nice time. I really don’t miss Christmas outside; they treat us nicely in here. Ask anybody.”I must admit that wasn’t possible as there were some patients who gave me the creeps, and I’m sure couldn’t speak to me as fluently.Another patient, who I found out, is a 56-year-old engineer from England, and who led a wealthy and intellectual life before he had a nervous breakdown, told me that he is very happy because his wife, who had flown into Guyana a few days before, would be visiting him for the holidays. His face lit up with that thought in mind as he munched on some goodies that his family had provided him.He also admitted that his experiences in the hospital at Christmas have been very enjoyable.All in all, the mood was quite impressive, and it’s clear that the festive season is given no less importance than it is in society at large. It’s quite nice that the management continues to provide an atmosphere of happiness at the institution.The National Psychiatric Hospital is the only mental hospital in Guyana and it houses 175 patients divided into three female wards, and five male wards also called chalets. Patients are not only separated by their gender but by the severity of their illness.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 05:51 , Processed in 0.069712 second(s), 26 queries .