2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-6-16 12:10:09 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
The pictures of Wally around her home in the Twin Cities area  don't show him in uniform, NFL Jerseys Cheap except one in the garage. Mary doesn't watch football on television. With 22 grandchildren,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, she's relieved that none are allowed any longer by their parents to play the sport.
Now she serves as a support to friends whose living husbands once played for the Vikings and struggling through their post-playing days. She's on a mission to try to tell as many parents as possible to keep their kids from NFL Cheap Jerseys.cheapchinanfljerseys,Wholesale NFL Jerseys.us/]Cheap Stitched Jerseys[/url] playing the sport.
"If a fly landed on him, he couldn't move it,China Jerseys Cheap," she said. "And this was all for the game of football."
That's how Mary Hilgenberg has chosen to remember her husband, not as the hard-nosed linebacker over 15 years for the Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings or as the victim of Jerseys NFL Wholesale a debilitating disease that left him unable to move any muscle but his eyeballs in his final days.
"The death that Wally had was horrendous," she said. "By the time he died, he could only blink his eyes and he was defenseless against a fly. If a fly landed on him, he couldn't move it. And this was all for the game of football.
Nearly a decade after Wally Hilgenberg's death, his widow can still hear his voice telling her he loves her, at the push of a button. It's programmed into Cheap Stitched Jerseys a stuffed bear he gave her shortly before succumbing to ALS in 2008.
"Our brain was not made to do this sport. And you only get one brain," she said. "Get your children in golf and tennis and basketball and track, you know? There are a lot of sports you can do that can be competitive but still safe."
"He wasn't there, but I know he was celebrating in heaven," she said. "I brought a big picture of Grandpa and a cake,Cheap Jerseys USA, and we all sang happy anniversary, and it was a good time. It's good to turn sad things into wonderful, fun family times."
"Now when I look at parents who just say it's OK and they make excuses, I think they want to live in the glory that their sons play football. I think it's really sad. It's just very sad. And I hope that someday these boys don't go back and say, 'Mom,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, Dad, you knew!'"
"We thought of his ankles, his knees, his broken jaws, his nose broken so many times, his fingers broken so many times, everything like that, but the brain never once came into our conversation, that he could be hurting his brain," Mary Hilgenberg said. "Wally would be knocked out, and if he could count to 10, he's back in the game. It wasn't a thing to think about."
Doctors who studied Wally Hilgenberg's donated brain after he died determined that the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis he suffered from was due to his lifelong participation in the sport.
She recalled their first meeting in the mid-1960s at a swimming pool in Detroit, when he was just starting his career and she didn't realize what he meant when he said he was a Lion. Last month, a group of 38 family members gathered for a weekend of camping to honor Wally and Mary Hilgenberg's 50th wedding anniversary.
Wally Hilgenberg was one of the hundreds of former football players studied posthumously by Boston medical researchers for the brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy . Mary Hilgenberg was one of many surviving family members interviewed by Cheap Football Jerseys China The Associated Press about their experiences with loved ones who suffered from post-career symptoms traced to head trauma.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 03:16 , Processed in 0.074186 second(s), 28 queries .