10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-6-21 03:41:37 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Book: The Life of Mary by Charlotte MandelReviewer: Margaret FechtmannCharlotte Mandel’s The Life of Mary is a concisely written book that requires some time to absorb. A first,Adidas Nmd r1 Women, second or even a third reading may be needed to understand the parallels Mandel is drawing between the biblical Virgin Mary and a present day Mary.Although I am blessed to have visited St. Peter’s Basilica twice in my lifetime,Nike Roshe Run Sale Outlet, and have viewed Michelangelo’s ‘la Pieta’ during my visits, my reading of The Life of Mary had me curious enough to revisit a picture of this famed statue. Mandel references it often, almost as if it were the personification of the biblical character. She brings life to the statue so the parallelism of the two Mary’s flows seamlessly in this novella.The book cover of The Life of Mary.In ‘la Pieta,’ in a very emotional and expressive depiction of the lamentation of Christ, Mary cradles her son’s body.  This has always been an awe-inspiring and ageless imagery. Just as he was cradled in birth, so was he in death.  Throughout this novella, the reader is imprinted with this vivid scene.Here, the contemporary Mary is ushered in. We find her reflecting on her own pending motherhood.  Like most expectant mothers, Mary seeks answers, but here she seeks them from the Virgin (marble) Mary,Nike Off White The Ten, “whose eyes have no iris”.The tone and colour of Mandel’s expressions are exigent, yet deliberate. She captures the emotions of pregnancy with raw intensity. There are references to “shared blood and milk” and “their pulses beating under perfect skins”.  And Mandel depicts that miracle and the separation at birth, as “the cage they have shared is now apart”.  And behold, our contemporary Mary gives birth to her son Jon.The statue of la Pieta is a staple throughout this oeuvre, with multiple recollections of its eyes – “eyes that have no iris”.  It is also present in Mandel’s contemporary story line. Mary’s eyes are, in one part,Adidas Nmd Shoes For Sale, depicted as “charcoal” and, in another passage her eyes are “dilated and radiant with a shining”.  When young Jon captures a sunfish, its death is validated with the reference to “the clear eye lens is now filled with white pulp”.  And Mary’s eyes are described as ‘opaque’ with his loss of the fish – a symbol of the iris-less eyes of the marble ‘Pieta.’But there is more to be gleaned from this seemingly benign sunfish story.  As a young boy,Nike Air Max 2018 Release, Jon did not know that the sunfish would die when removed from the water.  That fish breathe in the water is counter-intuitive to a child. Jon painfully learns that death is more than not breathing.Empathy may just describe the feelings for the contemporary Mary with her historical namesake. There is an emotional connectedness as she states that “the statue sweats under the hooded robe and the marble thighs ache from beneath the fallen male body” of the son that she holds. Now, the parallelisms take on a linear form and there is a confluence of both characters. The miracle of motherhood is timeless, transcending cultures and creeds.This is a short but deeply emotional and impactful work that requires contemplation and self-reflection. Cryptic, one might argue, but written with a warmth and ease that moves the reader on multiple levels, long after the final page is turned.Margaret Fechtmann contributes to Glenville Ashby’s Caribbean Literary GuildFeedback: [email protected] or follow him on [email protected]The Life of Mary: A poem-novellaForeword by Sandra M. GilbertSaturday Press,Cheap NFL Jerseys, Inc.Montclair, New JerseyISBN 0-938158-10-4Rating: Recommended
回復

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
沙發
發表於 2018-6-24 00:43:49 | 只看該作者

Cheap NFL Jerseys China

NOTES: Pettine said Browns star CB Joe Haden is day-to-day with a bruised shoulder suffered Sunday. ... Rookie CB Justin Gilbert left with a head injury, but Pettine said he was not diagnosed with a concussion. ... Pettine did not see the Browns fans who stopped Bengals rookie RB Jeremy Hill from jumping into the stands after a touchdown. "He should be commended," Pettine joked.
"You just don't really envision that in your head when you're good throughout the week and you have a really good week of practice," Manziel said. "You feel really confident and really prepared, and then something like that happens."
"It's the first game I've ever not scored a point in and been shut out," Manziel said. "I've played in a lot of games from high school through college, and that one, and I've never been shut out until then. It was definitely tough."
True, but the focus is usually on the one behind center, and Manziel was lambasted by some of his harshest critics.
"I think it's too small a sample size," Pettine said. "When you look at how we played around him, I think it's very unfair to judge what somebody's career is going to be like off of their first start. I'm sure you could go back and find a lot of regrettable performances in the first start."
BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Along with being sacked, taunted, embarrassed and generally mistreated Sunday by the Cincinnati Bengals, Johnny Manziel got humbled.
"I'm not really listening to any outside noise or what anybody else has to say," Manziel said. "I know that I need to play better and if I don't, people are going to continue to say things like that."
Manziel said watching film of the game wasn't any better than living through it the first time. The Browns were manhandled by the Bengals from start to finish.
Unable to move Cleveland's offense, Manziel completed just 10 of 18 passes for 80 yards. He was intercepted twice, chased around like a fox trying to escape hungry hounds and looked lost in the Browns' biggest game of the season. This wasn't the debut he, legions of his fans or anyone in Cleveland's organization had in mind when he was promoted to replace Brian Hoyer after 13 games.

The Browns rookie quarterback said Monday that his first NFL start, a 30-0 loss that essentially eliminated Cleveland from the playoffs, was the toughest day he's ever had on a football field.
"I don't think there's anything from that game getting beat 30-0 that's going to sit there and make you pump your fist," Manziel said. "But just going through some progressions, I feel like there was just some miscommunications, there were some times we were off, one person was off and it takes all 11 guys to make the whole thing work."
Pettine reiterated the Browns (7-7) will stick with Manziel over the final two games against Carolina and Baltimore,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys. The team isn't viewing it as an audition for Manziel's future. Pettine said there's a chance the team could go into the offseason with its quarterback situation unclear because three games isn't long enough to accurately evaluate any quarterback.
The team was bad, Manziel was bad but coach Mike Pettine, whose decision to start Manziel is now being debated as aggressively as his choice to bench Hoyer last week,Jerseys Wholesale, said the performance doesn't cast any doubts on his potential to be a franchise quarterback.
The Browns ran just 38 offensive plays, gained 107 total yards, crossed the 50-yard line just once and got only five first downs — two of them via defensive penalties.
"Absolutely," he said. "Very humbling."
And humbling?
"We'll have a sense (of Manziel),Cheap Jerseys From China, but I still think there will be question marks," Pettine said. "No matter what happens. We'll have a sense, but it's something that I don't think it's going to confirm one way or the other the opinion. He could hit it out of the park the next two and there will still be doubts. He could not play very well the next two,NFL Jerseys Cheap, there'd be a ton of doubts."
"That type of game humbles all of us," Pettine said. "We had been able to do some things in the past that we weren't able to do. That's something that — as an organization,NFL Jerseys Clearance, coaches,Cheap Jerseys, staff and team — we've got to regroup, and we've got to regroup in a hurry."
Manziel wasn't the only who were fed a helping of humility by the Bengals.
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

論壇元老

積分
板凳
發表於 2018-7-1 16:45:50 | 只看該作者

Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping

Defensive lineman B.J,Air Max Zero Be True. Raji would rather learn from the past and move on. There is good reason to be more confident.
Last week, the Packers limited Kansas City's Jamaal Charles to 49 yards on 11 carries, though Charles did have three touchdowns. Two of those scores came in a fourth quarter that started with the Packers holding a 24-point lead.
That group up front will likely get Letroy Guion this week; the defensive lineman is eligible to return from is three-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Since the teams didn't play last season, San Francisco will get its first look at Clay Matthews,Nike Air Max Tn Shoes For Men Sale, normally an outside linebacker, at times playing on the inside. Matthews has been there more since last November to help shore up the run defense.
Kaepernick, perhaps more than any other quarterback, has been one elusive problem in recent year for the Packers. He's 3-0 as a starter against Green Bay headed into Sunday's game at Santa Clara, California.
"I think we're better equipped now for it, having seen it so many weeks prior, whereas in the past, that wasn't necessarily the case," Raji said about facing mobile quarterbacks.
At least when it comes to stopping running backs. If the Packers can hold the backs to short gains, it might lead to more third-and-longs that would make Kaepernick less likely to take off.
Matthews has also had plays against Kaepernick in which he spied the quarterback. To best limit an option quarterback,World Cup Jerseys 2018, defenses must set the edges and stay on assignment to prevent any gaps from opening quickly.
"He brings physicality, but he also brings the energy, another energetic body that's going to run around and help you," Raji said.
In the first game, Kaepernick was more of a threat with his arm; in the second,Pat Tillman Cardinals Throwback Jersey, he hurt the Packers in the air and on the ground.
Two weeks ago, Green Bay faced a different style runner in Seattle's physical Marshawn Lynch and held him to 41 yards on 15 carries. In each game,Cheap Nike Air Max 90 Mens, the Packers opened with a rousing effort from the front seven.
"Stop the run from the other guys first, and then if he wants and (will) try to keep it, we've got to figure out how to get him stopped," linebacker Julius Peppers said.
"So, yeah, it'll be a little more to learn this week, a little more film study to put in on my behalf," Matthews said. "I think it's a new defense, it's a new year, so hopefully it's a win this time around."
So far this year, Kaepernick has rushed 23 times for 138 yards and a score. If he does tuck and run on Sunday, the Packers can draw on facing a similar mobile quarterback in Seahawks' Russell Wilson two weeks ago.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — In scouting 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the Packers look beyond his four interceptions last week against Arizona.
With their run defense surging in recent weeks, the Packers are hoping to finally trip up Kaepernick.
That's been a problem since the 2013 divisional playoffs, when Kaepernick torched the Packers for 181 yards rushing and two touchdowns on 16 carries. He threw for 263 yards and a score.
NOTES: TE Andrew Quarless was placed on injured reserve/designated to return with a sprained left knee. He must miss a minimum of eight weeks, meaning he would be eligible to return in Week 12 on Thanksgiving night against Chicago. He can start practicing with the team in six weeks. ... WR Davante Adams missed practice and wore a protective boot for his sprained left ankle. S Morgan Burnett (calf) also missed practice. Each player said he was day to day.

The 49ers beat the Packers twice more the following season,Swingman Nike NBA Jerseys, in the opener at San Francisco and the wild-card game to end Green Bay's season at Lambeau Field.
Wilson ran for 78 yards on 10 carries in that game, along with 206 yards passing and two scores. Most of his damage took place in the third quarter, and Seattle was held scoreless for the game's final 21 minutes.
The 49ers will also have something to think about with the Packers' defense.
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
地板
發表於 2018-7-3 13:16:23 | 只看該作者

China Jerseys Wholesale

CLEVELAND (AP) — Johnny Manziel's domestic dispute didn't cost him a chance to play.
Manziel was not arrested, and Crowley, who had an abrasion on her wrist,Jerseys From China, said she did not want to press charges.

With Austin Davis available, the Browns could have made Manziel inactive. But the former Heisman Trophy winner,Cheap NFL Jerseys, who won his only start this season against Tennessee,Cheap NBA Store, will face the Broncos if McCown struggles or can't finish.
Manziel dismissed the incident as a spat with his girlfriend, whom police said was intoxicated.
The Browns released a statement Friday saying they had spoken to Manziel about his behavior. However, the team did not exclude him from Sunday's game.
Still, Manziel's actions have to be concerning for the Browns, who drafted him in the first round in 2014 with the hope he can develop into their long-term starter. Manziel had an awful rookie season, which was followed with him checking into a substance treatment center in Pennsylvania.
Manziel is active and will back up starter Josh McCown on Sunday against Denver despite being questioned by police earlier in the week following a heated argument with his girlfriend that involved alcohol.
"Colleen and I got into a dumb public argument on the way home Monday afternoon," Manziel wrote Friday on Twitter. "It probably looked more interesting than it was and I know I would stop and check if I saw a couple arguing on the side of the road. It was embarrassing but not serious and when we talked to the police and they realized everything was alright and I was sober,Cheap NHL Jerseys, we went home together and everything is fine."
Manziel,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, who spent 10 weeks during the offseason in a rehab facility, acknowledged to police that he drank alcohol on Monday before he and his girlfriend, Colleen Crowley,Adidas NHL Jerseys China, got into an argument while he was driving on Interstate 90 west of Cleveland. According to a police report, witnesses said Manziel was driving at a high rate of speed and passed cars on the shoulder before police were called.
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 02:28 , Processed in 0.086576 second(s), 29 queries .