1萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-8-17 12:47:36 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
It's hard to know who to believe as the war of words between Miami teammates-turned-antagonists Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin escalates. Among the many points of contention is whether Martin handed over the $15,000 — as Incognito contends — because he pulled out of the trip; or,Wholesale Jerseys China, as the rookie Martin maintains, because he feared being hazed even more for violating the code that prevailed inside the Dolphins' locker room.
Even divine intervention, though, might not have worked with Vince Young. The former Tennessee Titans quarterback went through a reported $26 million in little more than five years, easy to believe when you hear about the time Young wanted to fly home to Houston in peace and bought up the remaining 120 of 130 seats on a Southwest flight. It wasn't the only story, either.
Similar stories abound in every sport. Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield are only the most recent examples in a racket whose history of profligacy stretches back a century. Baseball, basketball, hockey and even golf have seen their of newly-minted marks party their way right up to the door of the poor house. But there is plenty of evidence to suggest that no one does it faster or more foolishly than pro football players. A 2009 report in Sports Illustrated, citing a variety of sources, found that 78 percent of NFL athletes, or nearly four out of every five, are flirting with bankruptcy within five years of retirement.
"As a veteran, you see it and try to tell guys, 'Dude, that's not worth it.' Personally, I think it's the agent's responsibility to do that. But there's guys I look back and wish I could have reached them," Mathis said finally. "But all you can do for some of them is pray."
That response hints at another reason why football players may run into money problems faster that their pro counterparts. According to the NFL Players Association, the average career runs 3½ years, compounded by the fact that those players' first — and often only — contract contains the least amount of guaranteed money. And add up the price of a home or two, several cars, vacations, tailored clothes, generous gifts and lavish parties, agent and management fees, taxes and in a few cases,Jerseys From China, bad investments and child support — and it's easy to see how the gravy train could run out of steam.
Young tweeted his response soon after: "It's a shame to see people revel in and rally around negativity in the media but I guess it's to be expected. Yes, I need a job, who doesn't? Yes, I want to be out there playing the game I love and earning a paycheck,China Jerseys, who wouldn't?"
"Some guys go out, some guys go to dinner with their families, some guys do crazy things. I don't know what's going to happen but I'll figure something out."
It will be up to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to decide, once he receives a report from Ted Wells, a respected New York attorney the league appointed to investigate the matter. And if true, the $15,000 payoff could turn out to be a bargain. Just this past summer, Adam Jones, the reformed Cincinnati Bengals cornerback known as "Pacman" in a previous incarnation, told the gathering at the NFL's annual rookie symposium how he dropped $1 million in Las Vegas — over the course of a single weekend.
A friend makes vague threats if you refuse to kick $15,000 into the kitty so he and his pals can take a trip to Vegas without you.

Colts tight end Coby Fleener, a former teammate of Martin's at Stanford who was in the audience that day, said that as jaws dropped throughout the room, co-panelist Terrell Owens looked over at Jones, smiled and said simply, "Man, you crazy!" And Owens should know. Now 39 and unable to convince an NFL team to give him another shot, he's trying out pro bowling as a second act, desperate to replenish the bank account he drained — aided by bad investments — the first time around.
During a segment on a Tennessee radio show 13 months ago, callers claiming to be bartenders and servers at some of Young's favorite haunts testified to his largesse: routinely picking up the tab for teammates and just about everybody in the bar at local T.G.I. Friday's restaurant — average cost $6,000 a night; that after about $5,000 a week eating out at the Cheesecake Factory during his rookie season.
"That sounds about right,Cheap Adidas NHL Jerseys," cornerback Rashean Mathis said matter-of-factly in the visitors' locker room Sunday after his Lions beat the Bears. "I've been in the league 11 seasons and seen or heard about a few along the way. Guys come into the league,China Jerseys Cheap, get more money than they ever dreamed of, and think they're set for life. They get caught up in the lifestyle, and either don't know, don't want to, or can't pull back.
In some places back up the track,Cheap Barcelona Jersey, players are already applying the brakes. In the Baltimore locker room Sunday, right after the Ravens' overtime win against Cincinnati, someone asked cornerback Corey Graham how the team planned to celebrate.
But a moment later, the six-year veteran added, "Nothing crazy. I'm getting a little older, I don't do too much."
At certain times and places, that's called a shakedown, Or worse. At the moment, in at least one NFL locker room and probably more, it's a rite of passage.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 07:54 , Processed in 0.074507 second(s), 26 queries .