9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-1-8 21:48:29 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By: Kiana Wilburg“Art in resistance,” are three words that aptly capture the essence of the paintings of an acclaimed Guyanese artist and Linguist.At the age of 60, Desmond Ali is still determined to answer his calling- that is- creating paintings and sculptures that are an exotic representation of the political climate and stalemate of the Aztec time and that of today’s.Desmond AliBorn on August, 3, 1953 he has been dedicated to this style of art for the past 35 years.He’s obsessed with capturing the brutality that exists within different spheres of the Guyanese society and moreso,Jonathan Ericsson Red Wings Jersey, the metamorphosis of the politics in and out of our territory.This father of three is also very fond of Guyanese historian and political activist Dr.Walter Rodney, who was assassinated in the 1980’s. Ali has done several works in remembrance of him.The artist who has won numerous awards has had his work on display at numerous local,Larry Robinson Canadiens Jersey, regional and international shows.His sculptures of the horrors of the Aztec world are even chosen to be part of the prestigious exhibitions at the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) headquarters in Paris. Some of his powerful pieces are on permanent display in the United Nations headquarters in Washington DC,Joe Kocur Rangers Jersey, USA as well.Ali attended St. Pius Primary School and then the Guyana Oriental College. He’s a graduate of political science, ethnography (the scientific description of peoples and cultures with their customs) and Vedanta ( a Hindu philosophy and science of the spirit) .Dr. Walter RodneyHe also has an investigative mind which he says always sends him studying deeply before attempting any piece of art.He is an aficionado of philosophy and attended the University of Guyana where he acquired a Degree in International Relations and a Diploma in Spanish. He also has a Diploma in journalism as he always wanted to be a journalist.However, his artistic talents really blossomed when he journeyed to several countries in South America.As it relates to the message of his art work, he says, “Art can contribute to social transformation and social education. It can show the pitfalls of every cultural disease in a way that no other art form can. The mind is very impressionable and images have an extremely lasting effect. It is my form of communicating with the world.”One of the special things about Ali is that he believes that he was given his talents to specifically capture the integration of cultures and the political status which alters or taints in any way the cultural status of a country during a period of time.“I want to capture truth in a very raw form. I want to capture the way in which the Guyanese culture is dying a slow death,Brooks Orpik Capitals Jersey, the decaying social norms and the pollution of our judicial system by corruption.”Ali’s latest work—the art of the dictatorshipIt is upon this background that Ali says his next painting will be dedicated to Colwyn Harding, a young man who has accused members of the Guyana Police Force of sodomy.The self-taught artist who has travelled extensively said that learning Spanish and Portuguese was an art that also came to him naturally.On a typical day he teaches Portuguese and Spanish for a living. He has conducted classes with some of the revered persons of the Guyanese society, which include Chartered Christopher Ram and some members of his family.Ali is still working on a few new pieces which are dedicated towards painting the truth about Guyana’s political system. “The methods of subjugation in Guyana are intended to make us dormant and it is amazing that people are like this. I am always looking to document varying forms of mental slavery that are still existent in Guyana. My art is like a giant puzzle and I can’t paint unless I truly capture what happened before so that my audience can understand the struggles of today.”His latest work is called, “The Anatomy of a Dictatorship.”“The Anatomy of a dictatorship represents Guyana in the period 1980-2013. It depicts one of the events-the notoriously rigged referendum of July 1978 which paved the way for the institutionalization of the fraudulent Burnham Constitution of October 6,Andre Burakovsky Capitals Jersey, 1980,Evgeny Kuznetsov Capitals Jersey, which turned red with the blood of Guyanese martyrs Ohene Koama, Edward Dublin and historian Dr. Walter Rodney. Unfortunately,Anton Stralman Lightning Jersey, the advent of free and fair elections in 1992 did not bring an end to the Burnham Constitution which became an instrument to consolidate the People’s Progressive Party’s (PPP) dictatorship which continues today. But the painting also shows that the solution lies in the people moving strongly towards demanding that the PPP step down in order to form an interim government that would return this country to a legitimate constitutionality. This is what my latest painting is about and the heart of the dictatorship being the corrupt practices of the government is also charred into this work. It also shows that the greatest trick this government ever performed was making some citizens believe that they genuinely have their interest at heart. The devil is famous for this act as well.”Moreover,Mike Weaver Canadiens Jersey, Ali is currently working on his book,Jakub Kindl Red Wings Jersey, which shows how ordinary people played a pivotal role in making changes. It is expected to feature the work and life of Dr. Rodney and the paintings and sculptures Ali has dedicated to him.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 04:52 , Processed in 0.070049 second(s), 28 queries .