9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-1-14 04:05:23 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
One of the highlights of visiting the Botanical Gardens was to see the manatees; there were two living among the “water nut lilies”.Parents out for an evening stroll brought their children for a glimpse. The manatees did surface frequently; some visitors to the New Amsterdam Botanical Gardens sometime tried to feed them.New Amsterdam did have a Botanical Gardens; it was a beautiful garden, well laid out with palm trees, a variety of flowers, ferns and benches to relax. It also housed a gazebo,NHL Jerseys China, a lovers’ den at night, where many New Amsterdamers were conceived.It was a place where families can go to relax, to be among nature; where children could run around and play. You could always find a peaceful corner to meditate.Some of the younger folks might be wondering what I am talking about. There is no sign of a botanical garden ever being in New Amsterdam.It was where the High Court is located at the corner of Princess Elizabeth Road,Wholesale Cincinnati Reds Jerseys, Vryheid Street and Esplanade Road. There is a lot of history in the gardens, because the same compound once housed the seat of government of the then country of Berbice. Berbice was a separate country— New Amsterdam was its capital— until the three counties merged to become British Guiana in the 1830s.It was a beautiful time to live and grow up in New Amsterdam which was a very clean and peaceful town, a friendly town where almost everyone probably knew each other, where you were always greeted with a friendly “good morning” or “good afternoon”.I thought it ironic when I read the opening ceremony for the celebration of the 122nd anniversary as a Municipality.The ceremony which was held at the “Government House”,Wholesale NBA Jerseys, just across from where the Botanical Gardens and the very historic Court of Policy building were housed.The town is celebrating its 122nd Anniversary as a Municipality but its founding and history goes back a 100 years beyond 1891 when the Municipality was established.New Amsterdam, Guyana’s oldest Municipality is over two hundred years old, so the natural question one would ask is what progress has the town made in its 200 years of existence.If you are a visitor to the town today, you have to ask yourself, what progress.I visit my hometown (don’t get me wrong, I love my hometown) and I am ashamed to see the filthy condition the town is in.There was a time when the town was very clean,Wholesale Authentic China Jerseys, when the Town Council had a team of people just to keep the drains clean and cut all overgrowth and bushes. There was never an issue of flooding in the town unlike today “if rain set up the town flood”.I go to Vryman’s Erven a once neat and clean laid out housing, and I am appalled at the condition of the place, laced with potholes,Los Angeles Kings Jerseys China, overgrown bushes and garbage among some beautiful houses.This was a town that was very independent, one that provided its own electricity and water, where blackouts were not as frequent as they are now,MLB Jerseys China, because the Municipality once owned the electric and water supply plants.Do you know Republic Road (Back Dam Road) used to be the place to take an evening stroll; the parapets were clean, those large trees that lined the road had their trunks painted with “whitewash” which made the place even more attractive. As it got darker a few lovers could be spotted behind the huge trunks of the trees. In addition to the Gardens,Wholesale MLB Jerseys, parents often used to take their kids for a stroll to the Esplanade, sometimes for a band concert conducted by Mr. Randolph Bennet.One could also take an evening walk to the New Amsterdam stelling to enjoy some fresh sea breeze (at least when mosquito and sand fly not in season).I go to New Amsterdam and my friends take me outside New Amsterdam for entertainment.People used to come to the town for entertainment. Penguin Hotel used to be the place to stay or for entertainment. I recall my brother hosting his wedding reception there.Penguin Hotel has made moves to recapture its glorious past as a center for entertainment and culture. It has been promoting poetry night and other cultural activities.Wedding receptions, conferences are back and hotel rooms are upgraded. There was a time when visitors only stayed at the Penguin Hotel or Church View Hotel.Fast forward to the present, one wonders what can bring the town back to its glorious past. First the town has to get rid of the filth and garbage. I know that recently the Municipality has entered an arrangement to have the garbage picked up at regular intervals.What is needed is cooperation of its residents, the resources of the people need to be harnessed,Wholesale Authentic NFL Jerseys, but it takes a special kind of leader to harness people. We need to get back to the old self help days, which I must say is a credit to the then PNC government.The Mayor and Town Council would be wise to call on former Mayor of the Town Errol Alphonso for his expertise in mobilizing people to have projects done. It’s not a major task to clean up the town; all it needs is the cooperation of its residents and the business community.A large blame for the insanitary condition of the town lies with the business community who need to see theirs and their customers’ garbage disposed of properly.These New Amsterdam businessmen can start by placing receptacles so the public can dispose of garbage in containers rather than litter the streets.The residents need to be re-educated on keeping their environment clean. I think the young people who grew up in the filthy town take it for granted that that is how things are,NBA Jerseys China, not knowing how clean the town was.Then Mayor Alphonso had the people doing quite number of self help projects especially in Smythfield and Angoy’s Avenue (Cow Dam).The town needs to address the needs of youths, provide outlets like Community Centers and playfields for youths.The town has been experiencing frequent blackouts recently and I have been asked to complain about it, so can anyone from GPL say when the blackouts in New Amsterdam will end?There Preya; I asked the question. Don’t expect many answers from GPL.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 11:58 , Processed in 0.072647 second(s), 26 queries .