4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2019-3-17 02:23:14 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“If you want to be successful…there is a simple way…you have to work hard. Never give up. Master what you are doing and it will work out.”By Leonard GildarieThere are many inspiring experiences that we hear little of, sometimes never at all.Simple people from simple backgrounds just doing their thing despite the discouragement, despite the warnings. And in most cases, it has worked for them.Special Person – Nateram RamnananIt has worked for people like Mark Zuckerberg whose crazy idea turned Facebook into a multi-billion-dollar social network business and Howard Hughes, whose aggressive business attitude built an empire, dabbling with his passions of movies, real estate and airplanes, in the US.Successful countries have been built on the sweat of many little, family-owned companies which over time evolved into much-loved household-name products.In Guyana,Cheap Dallas Cowboys Throwback Jerseys, like so many parts of the world, government has been encouraging its people to invest, to take a chance, to work hard. For Nateram Ramnanan, his success was born more of a need to make a living than so much for the love of what he was doing.He has now managed to build a successful family-owned business from nothing. Today, he has established himself as one of the more established businessmen on Essequibo Coast, winning awards and selected to travel all over the region to learn more. He has been giving back, employing people and doing what he knows best.And for Ramnanan, a father of four, who is known more popularly by his nickname, ‘Juiceman’, it all started from cane juice.His business place at Grant Berthrum, Upper Pomeroon, has been visited by a President, ministers and even lending agencies have been recognizing his entrepreneurial contributions, inviting him for training and sending him overseas.Hard TimesRamnanan, now 52, grew up in Windsor Castle,Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic, on the Essequibo Coast. Times were hard for the family of 11… there was simply not enough at times to go around.  He was the eldest of nine (six brothers and three sisters) and was expected to play his part.His father, known as ‘Cane Juice Man’, sold the sweet product to support the family at Anna Regina, the main town and at Charity, a gateway to the interior and a main trading area.Humble beginnings! It was hard labour, manually grinding the cane.For little Nateram,Stitched NCAA Jerseys, there was no time for holidaying. He had to help his father. Their little wooden home in Windsor Castle had many mouths to feed and there was much work to be done.So while he wanted so badly to excel at school, he had to make some hard choices. He had to give up school on mainly Mondays and Fridays – market days for the Essequibo Coast.“I wanted to get an education. I know it was the way out. But it was hard.”He got his chance when in his teens, he was accepted into Kuru Kuru College, which had an extension in Essequibo,Wholesale Jerseys, and for one year he studied management.In the early ‘80s, he was hired to work at a cassava mill in Charity. It was owned by the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo). He stayed there for five years, learning how to make cassava flour and about processing… experiences that would serve him well later.Back then, as the older among us would know, government had restricted the importation of several items, including flour. It was designed to encourage local, alternative food production. Cassava flour was substitute for many.It was while at that cassava facility that Nateram met his wife, Parbattie, who worked at another GuySuco establishment, a carambola (five-finger) processing factory not far away. They soon got married.In the meantime, Nateram’s father had continued his cane juice business.Now a man with responsibilities and a family, the restless Nateram knew that a $250 salary would not be enough. He was looking for opportunities. He was hungry for it.An opportunityThe opportunity opened up when, while on a visit to Charity, he saw an old cane juice mill, belonging to a family that was not in use. Using some money he had put aside, he paid $300 for it. It was the wisest investment he ever made.Using a cart, he set up shop, selling cane juice to the many who visited Charity. His wife was with him “foot-to-foot”. It was tough work. He was manually turning the mill all day long. The working day would sometimes go to eight o’clock in the nights.“This was a manual mill that you had to scrape the cane and grind it manually and sell it right away to the customers.”His children – he has four of them now – would sometimes stay by his parents and sometimes with his in-laws. At other times, the children would be with the family at the juice stand.Nateram ‘Juiceman’ Ramnanan receiving his GMSA award in 2011 for his contributions to agro-processing in Guyana.Nateram was lucky. With the import restriction, there was a hugely profitable contraband business for all kinds of things including sardines, flour and split peas. Charity was a place to go for these. His cane juice stand benefitted from the crowds.‘Juiceman’, as he was now known, was becoming popular. The Amerindians coming down the Pomeroon, persons from the Essequibo Coast, and miners, were all heading to Charity.His glass of cane juice and his wife’s cassava balls were a must.It was in the early ‘90s that one of the Barakat brothers, Samuel, who owned a fabrication business on the East Coast of Demerara, met with Nateram.Why was ‘Juiceman’ manually killing himself? Barakat offered the little Charity man to build an engine-run mill.Nateram was more than glad. Soon, the mill was introduced and the juice stand, known as ‘Original Juice’ started to grow, becoming a permanent structure. It still stands there.A family in Grant Berthrum, Upper Pomeroon, not far away, from whom Nateram had purchased his manual mill, asked if he was interested to buy their property.“The lady that owned the property…we got along well whenever she returned to Guyana. They decided to sell and I was looking to find a place.”Agro-processingIt was at this location on the Pomeroon River that Nateram started experimenting with other juices like guava and coconut water, setting up his factory.His eldest son was running the juice stand and Nateram concentrated on the processing at this location. He started an experiment that saw him blending and juicing the fruits that grew around his home.  He ventured into juicing fruits and vegetables, even pumpkin and ginger, and distributing his signature product to markets in rural and urban areas of Guyana and to a few Caribbean countries, including the Dominican Republic.Ramnanan (far left) at an overseas trade show.He was recognized for his entrepreneurial energies by the Institute of Private Enterprise Development (IPED), Partners of America, and the Guyana Manufacturing Association and the trainings started. He was exposed to all kinds of fora on processing and juicing, travelling to places like St. Vincent and even showcasing his products in Canada.‘Juiceman’ was looking for more opportunities. He searched and soon found more equipment to make his work easier and expand to other products.While his core business was juices, which now included cherry and golden apple, he also ventured into other areas like bottling of pepper sauce, achar and jam and jelly. It was a chance that was not to be regretted. He was selling his products countrywide.He came under the radar of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Dr. Leslie Chin, whose work locally with micro-businesses is legendary.“USAID, Dr. Chin, Mr Barakat and IPED and so many others have been there for us. I thank them.”The family started to experiment even more with vegetables and the products were terrific. ‘Juiceman’ started going as far as Port Kaituma, Region One, to market his varying creations. Sterling Products,Kanken Backpack UK Shop, restaurants and hotels are among the numerous customers supporting him.The business has grown now,Cheap Hockey Jerseys Official, with over 20 persons employed.“You see, I did not want to remain poor. Our family home in Windsor Castle had no flush toilet and I wanted my children to be educated. This is what pushed me. I did not want them to want for clothes and things like that.”While Charity has been changing quickly, modernizing with malls and huge buildings going up, Nateram is determined also not stay static. He is now well known in the business sector.“If you want to be successful…there is a simple way…you have to work hard. Never give up. Master what you are doing and it will work out.”This is how it is done! ‘Juiceman’ at work.Today, Nateram is involved in all kinds of charity work, something he is not willing to talk too much about. He is heavily involved in the private sector lobbying organizations like the Guyana Manufacturing and Services Association.It was last year that this same organization recognized his contributions, and maybe in his crowning achievement, awarded him for his contributions to Guyana’s agro-processing sector. Nateram and his family are now eyeing the canning business and soon he will be expanding even more, thanks to new,Cheap Shoes Wholesale, state-of-the-art equipment he is looking at from neighbouring Brazil.“My wife, my family and my workers, are my strength,” a humble ‘Juiceman’ says.He is a special person indeed.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 09:10 , Processed in 0.054192 second(s), 28 queries .