9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-1-27 18:50:06 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
BY RALPH SEERAMShe Googled her hometown in Colombia and was very excited that she can show me her home,Angelo Henriquez Chile Jersey, the school she attended and even some homes that she said were owned by big drug lords in Colombia.I was travelling to Guyana shortly so I was attempting to show Susana, the Legal Assistant where I was going and of course where my old home was located in New Amsterdam.I was having some difficulty locating the landmarks and my home in New Amsterdam, when I noticed a sky blue spot on my screen. Yes,Linus Wahlqvist Sweden Jersey, I had found my landmark; it is the old Catholic Men’s Club swimming pool,Diego Polenta Uruguay Jersey, CMC as it was commonly referred to.With some nationalistic pride I proudly drew her attention the pool I used to swim in many, many, years ago. She examined the screen looked carefully and exclaimed “but Ralph that is only one pool in the whole town”.I was deflated and speechless; I tried to recover by pointing out that according to my friend, Gregory, a second pool is nearly completed but I can tell that she was not impressed.Highlighting the CMC pool was a mistake in the sense that in Florida where I live, there is a swimming pool around every corner. In some Sub Divisions almost every house has a swimming pool. I have no doubt that my street has more swimming pools than the entire Guyana.I reflected on this contrast while I sat by my pool which is literally eight steps from my kitchen. I have not swum in that pool for the entire year and only once last year. One would think that for a person who grew up in a town with no swimming pool,Viktor Claesson Sweden Jersey, I would be in that water every day. It caused me to reflect on my boyhood days. How did I ever learn to swim? I consider myself a strong swimmer.I did not realize it at the time,Julio Dominguez Mexico Jersey, but I grew up in a town that had the largest if not longest swimming pool in Guyana. It wasn’t in the traditional sense, but it was our swimming pool. Where is this pool in New Amsterdam? It is along Republic Road (known as Back Dam road in my day) stretching from Essex Street to Vryheid Road.Now don’t go looking for it now because what you will find is a dirty canal so stuffed with weeds, that anybody can perform a miracle like Christ and walk across water. But it was not so in my youth.Back in the day “ back dam canal” was a pure clean canal with healthy black water from the Canje Creek. It was the town’s reservoir and a back up for the fire department when the hydrants ran out of water. It did not matter to us that the next day we were going to drink the water we were swimming in.It was not without its excitement, one had to look out for the police as well as the truant officer. In my case I was not afraid of either. I was mortally afraid getting caught by my grandmother.There were some unspoken rules for swimming in “backdam”. You had to graduate from swimming in the muddy ponds in Vryman’s Erven before joining the “big boys”, and to graduate as a swimmer, you had to do the” mile” that is swimming from one end to the other end of the canal, a distance of one mile.Now there were swimming pools in Berbice in my youthful years, these were the “whites only” pools on the sugar estates, and guess what, I was one of the few “locals” to swim in the Blairmont Estate swimming pool.My late brother, Gordon, was very politically conscious for his age,Carlos Salcedo Mexico Jersey, He decided to show those “white people” that we can swim in it, so we will scale the fence get a running start, plunge in the pool, clothes and all,Edson Puch Chile Jersey, emerging from the other side and continue running. By the time the guard realized what was going on we were gone.This modus operandi was quite successful. however the fun went out of that. The Berbice River and the Canje Creek were beckoning; they were more adventurousAs I came out of this nostalgic moment,Mexico Jersey, it dawned on me why I swam only once in two years in my pool. It was no fun. Swimming was fun; swimming was an adventure for me. So if you feel deprived from swimming in a pool in Guyana,Alejandro Palacios Mexico Jersey, go to Number 63 Beach, find a river, find a lake, find a canal (if you can find a clean one without plastic and foam containers) and have fun.For me I am going to bring excitement back to my swimming. I will ask my neighbour to host a pool party with topless bikini clad women, I am sure you know why I can’t have it in my pool.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-12 07:11 , Processed in 0.073493 second(s), 28 queries .