9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-2 10:20:14 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Surmises Benjamin Michael Drinking and driving have been responsible for a large percentage of deaths on our roads yet amidst the trail of death and the concomitant draconian punishment, many ‘hard ears’ drivers continue to imbibe, get behind the wheel and end up taking a few lives, sometimes their very own.Sometimes I am tempted to call these things road ‘on purpose’ instead of road accidents. How else can one describe an incident where an individual after taking one drink too many refuses to relinquish the keys to someone else that is in full control of their faculties?It boggles the mind to think that after witnessing the horrifying spectacle of decapitated bodies, hanging limbs and protruding intestines that some people still find the gall to imbibe and then attempt to drive a machine that goes from zero to eighty miles an hour and then call it an accident when they crash into someone or something.We have sang the song ‘Rum till I die’ so casually and with so much joviality that the bare reality that rum has been a chief killer has escaped us.Yet amidst this stark reality,Jon Lester Cubs Jersey, rum and other alcoholic beverages continues to pass the censorship of legislators while cocaine, crack and other drugs of such ilk are strenuously censored and attract jail sentences and humongous fines.Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that slows one’s reactions and curtails judgment yet one could easily purchase a six pack over the counter and consume in full view of the authorities without attracting sanctions.Try that with a ‘joint’ or a ball of cocaine and you’d be behind bars faster than you could say ‘Jack Rabbit.’  The experts have concluded that impairment of driving lasts for hours after the high of the drug has worn off even after the next day. Many refer to this as the hangover period.I have never drunk alcoholic beverages nor have I ever smoked a cigarette. That does not mean that I was not tempted. I have had droves of ‘friends’ who felt that it was their duty to coerce me into drinking a few beers or taking ‘just a little puff.’Those who know me would confirm that I am more of a maverick and no amount of persuading could change my stance. I have always reasoned that alcohol addiction brought on added monthly expenses that I could ill afford.I believe,Sandy Koufax Dodgers Jersey, though, that it was my experiences as a youth where I witnessed my father imbibing and making, not only himself,Devon Travis Blue Jays Jersey, but the entire family miserable that precipitated a staunch resolution to desist from such unwholesome practices.If alcoholics simply drank their portions, got drunk and retired to bed in peace no one would mind them engaging in their activities. On the contrary, these people believe that it is their democratic right to impede upon the peace and tranquility and it is everyone else’s responsibility to listen as they blaspheme from Harry Right to Harry Wrong.My dad would leave home in the morning on his bicycle or driving his car and return late in the night, sometimes minus his sole means of transportation which would be left lying around at the location where he had spent the day imbibing.He would announce his arrival from as far as one block away and when he got home,Cal Ripken Orioles Jersey, no one could sleep nor engage in academic studies.In those days the Hillman Hunter, the Morris Oxford and the Prefect were the popular motor cars. My dad also drove a Prefect and I have lost count of the number of times that my elder sibling had to use his clout to get him off the hook after he imbibed, hopped behind the wheel and believed he had superman propensities.Most times he ended up striking some hapless pedestrian or destroying other people’s property after a collision.I was way into my teens when my dad, with encouragement from my mother, acquiesced to become involved in the Alcohol Anonymous programme that has cleaned him up, even to today.It has been several years since Denise Dias lost her daughter to a drunk driver and ever since then she, and several other women, calling themselves ‘Mothers in Black’ have launched a campaign to make the roads a safer place to be.These women have agitated for the Breathalyzer test and they have won that part of the battle. Their jobs are not even started. One only needs to observe the madness on our streets as motorists, mini bus drivers, pedestrians and other road users compete for a safe part of the roadway to traverse as they go about their respective businesses.It is the norm for wealthy drivers to kill someone and then offer meager compensation in return for their freedom. Many of the persons that accept the compensation are poor and welcome the money to subsidize the pittance they receive for salaries.To my mind, the laws must protect such citizens. I fully understand that no one should be made to pay twice for one crime so after offering compensation, reckless drivers avoid persecution and walk free to commit the same crime all over again.I have lost a coach,Blake Swihart Red Sox Jersey, Michael Barker, and a good friend,Danny Salazar Indians Jersey, Courtney Atherly to over-indulgence in alcohol. I have lost one of my village mates after a drunk driver mowed him down on Mandela Avenue.I can recite the trail of grief left after youngsters with affluent parents used the roads with total impunity and offer paltry compensation to the family of the victims. The court must send out a strong message to such people that money cannot buy lives.I recently heard a story of a man who attempted to defend himself in court on a death by dangerous driving charge. He vehemently denied the charges that he was drunk and attempted to explain to the magistrate what took place.“I was just preparing to leave the house and had 24 bottles of Banks Beer in my cellar. Just as I was about to take one my wife ordered me to empty the contents down the sink, or else it would have been curtains for me.  So I said I would.I popped the cork from the first bottle and poured the contents down the sink, with the exception of one glass, which I drank. I then popped the cork from the second bottle and did likewise, with the exception of one glass,Carlos Santana Indians Jersey, which I drank. I then popped the cork from the third bottle and poured the beer down the sink, with the exception of one glass, which I drank.I pulled the cork from the fourth sink and poured the bottle down the glass, which I drank. I pulled the cork from the next bottle and drank all but one sink of it, throwing the rest down the glass. I pulled the sink from the next glass and poured the cork from the bottle.Then I corked the sink with the glass, jugged the drink and drank the pour.When I had everything emptied, I steadied the house with one hand, counted the bottles, corks and glasses and sinks with the other,Andre Dawson Cubs Jersey, which were 24, and as the house came by,Drew Hutchison Blue Jays Jersey, I counted them again and finally had all houses in one jug, which I drank. I then left the house for my destination.I was not under the alcofluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am, nor are I half so think as they drunk I am but I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the stronger I stand here the longer I get.The magistrate felt it was the most logical explanation she had ever received since she was on the bench. She empathized with the poor chap and sentenced him to four years behind bars. She then noted in her ledger that she sentenced the chap because he had too much blood in his alcohol stream.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 19:47 , Processed in 0.074764 second(s), 26 queries .