10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-13 23:16:15 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“Surrey, you’ve got the wrong number” and “Who’s Surrey Now?” were some of the adverse reactions when the Surrey Cricket Club announced that it was talking to Brian Lara about playing 20/20 cricket and performing other unspecified acts on its premises and behalf.However, like most cricket fans throughout the world, I was not sorry for Surrey or for the game of cricket.The reaction to Brian Lara’s return, albeit for a cricket club whose performance has made the name-pun virtually irresistible, has been overwhelmingly positive.   Those who felt that Lara retired too early point to the fact that Gilchrist, Warne, Tendulkar and Ponting are still around.  In Tendulkar’s case, he is enjoying a second spring in the IPL and recently scored the first double-century in One-Day Internationals (ODIs).There has also been a persistent rumour that Lara, having spent most of his money on wine, women, gambling and song,Cheap Jerseys From China, spent the rest foolishly and now urgently needs, not just the pomp,Cheap Soccer Jerseys Authentic, but also the Surrey-money.  Even if that rumour is true (and I seriously doubt it) the return of Lara, whatever the reason, is as much a cause for celebration as for speculation.  Regardless of his faults as a Captain or as (some of his fellow West Indies players charge) as a colleague,Cheap NFL Wholesale Jerseys, he is the best batsman I have seen.I believe that Lara left cricket with a point to prove.  What should have been his and the West Indies’ World Cup ended in humiliation.  His sojourn into the ICC showed that he was not ready for Twenty-Twenty cricket.  Watching his contemporaries excel in the IPL must have made Lara itch for a last hurrah.On his visit to India at the start of this year’s IPL, he found that he remains a cricketing hero as well as a legend.  Perhaps Surrey is the start Lara needs and the English League the practice ground for reinventing himself.  He already has an invitation to play in the IPL and has said that he would consider it.In 2006 and 2007, the critics were saying that Lara seemed to have an eyesight problem.  Whether his vision is 20/20 is something that Surrey and the IPL will have to check out themselves, mine is 2010- the Return of the Prince.  This is also the year in which the PNM Government of Trinidad goes to the electorate hoping that its much vaunted 20/20 vision is enough to make the electorate ignore its patchy past performance.“If Lara could get a second chance, we should do the same for Manning,” one of my friends said.  “And Panday,” I chimed in.  But as I spoke, I thought of my boxing hero “Sugar” Ray Leonard.  He admitted that his retirement in 1982 created severe problems for him, including drug addiction.He then returned and retired several times until May 1, 1997, when he suffered the first knockout of his career in a fifth-round bout against Hector Camacho.  In this context, it is easy to understand Lara’s desire.Lance Armstrong,Cheap Authentic Jerseys Online, after his return from cancer,Cheap Authentic Jerseys, captured the longing, “Pain is temporary.  It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place.  If I quit,Wholesale Jerseys China, however, it lasts forever.”On the other hand, and as WC Fields the comedian quipped,Cheap NFL Jerseys, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.  Then quit.  There’s no point in being a damn fool about it.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 15:38 , Processed in 0.069849 second(s), 26 queries .