9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-14 05:05:10 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
It was a very close race but after three counts it was Brigadier David Granger who was declared the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) presidential candidate after the conclusion of a special congress at the party’s Congress Place headquarters yesterday. Brigadier Granger was able to reign supreme last evening with a total of 279 votes. He was followed closely by former Finance Minister under the People’s National Congress, Carl Greenidge, who secured 264 votes.PNCR Presidential Candidate, David GrangerThe other candidates were Attorney-at-law Basil Williams who gained a total of 88 votes, Attorney-at-law James Bond who secured 13 votes and Dr Faith Harding with 20 votes. There were reports of some spoiled ballots.Greenidge was initially declared the winner after the counting of votes had concluded just before 18:00 hours. This result was not readily accepted by some party members who even claimed that the count was not accurate.As a result of the mixed emotions emanating from the packed Congress Place auditorium,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, a second count was requested. And it was Granger who was the clear winner, a result which remained constant after a third count was made causing a scene of jubilation among the greater section of those who anxiously awaited to hear the final result.It was after consulting with the presidential nominees, all of whom agreed for a recount,Wholesale Jerseys China, that the third count was done, again declaring Granger the official presidential candidate.Earlier in the day there was a buzz of activity at the party’s headquarters as members of the main opposition party sought to ensure their respective votes were counted to help select the party’s presidential candidate. The newly elected candidate will be vying for presidency at the next general elections slated for later this year.There are reports that close to 800 persons had turned up at the party headquarters to vote. They came from hinterland regions, the coastlands as well as from foreign lands as well to be a part of the historic event.At the opening of the special congress, leader of the opposition party Robert Corbin recognised the dedications of party members observing that many had undergone “serious personal sacrifice to be present…I especially welcome our delegates who have travelled from North America and the UK Regions.“I am conscious that with the difficult world economic situation as it is, it was not easy for you to leave your occupations and pay your airfare in order to be present…to ensure that the party is prepared to remove the PPP from office.”He underscored that the presence of the various party members was reflective of not only their commitment but of their concern to see Guyana liberated “from the tyrants who now desecrate the struggles made by our ancestors for genuine independence and economic progress.”Significance of the congressAccording to Corbin the historic nature and significance of yesterday’s Congress ought to be appreciated, even as he pointed out that the party has in fact been able to break new ground in Guyana through its efforts to lead the way in the transformation of the political culture in Guyana.He pointed out that for the first time in the 56-year history of the PNC Party, the Party membership has been given the opportunity to determine who should be its Presidential Candidate.Traditionally, even though it was not a constitutional requirement, the elected Party Leader automatically became either the Prime Ministerial Candidate or, after the New 1980 Constitution, the Presidential Candidate.“For reasons which I have not elaborated and will probably only do so in my memoirs,Wholesale Jerseys Chinese, I advised the Party nearly a year ago that it was not my intention to be the Presidential Candidate of the Party at the forthcoming General and Regional Elections.“The early notice provided an opportunity for the Party to begin the implementation of a system of Primaries that was the subject of internal party discussion for more than 30 years,” Corbin noted.Anxious party members await the final resultsThis process, he added,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, has also provided an opportunity to strengthen our party internal democracy.The party leader had also assured that “irrespective of who emerges as the successful Presidential Candidate therefore, all of us in the PNCR should feel proud of our Party and proud at having participated in the process.”He also sought to commend the candidate process Committee,Cheap Soccer Jerseys Authentic, led by General Secretary, Oscar Clarke, who according to Corbin guided the process.In his address to the delegates, too, Corbin cautioned the members to conduct themselves respectfully during and after the process. “If we do not leave this Congress as a united party with full resolve to rally around and support whomever is elected the process would have failed.”“The objective has been, and will continue to be, the identification of a Presidential Candidate who will not only be President for the PNCR, but who has the capacity to win the confidence of most Guyanese and be President of all the people of Guyana.”It was for this reason, Corbin asserted that in the criteria for nomination the Party never stipulated that the nominees must be members of the Party.  As such he noted that the process must be seen as a sacred and important task that must not be treated lightly.He further expressed confidence and faith in the wisdom of party members even as he predicted that they would have discharged their duty competently. Corbin did not fail to commend the potential candidates ahead of the voting process.He said that they participated in the rigorous process,Wholesale Authentic NHL Jerseys, which had required that they travel to all 10 administrative regions, a move he regarded as a good orientation. “Whatever may have been their initial views, I am sure that in hindsight, they will all agree that such a process was essential if they are to be acquainted with the issues that are of concern to the people. I have had the opportunity of speaking to all the nominees and sharing my expectations with them…” he added.And it is Corbin’s expectation that the elected presidential candidate is motivated by conviction that the PNCR is the only party capable of providing the necessary leadership to liberate and transform Guyana to ensure a better quality of life for all Guyanese. Consequently, he anticipated that the Presidential Candidate’s involvement is not a transient one that comes to an end if they did not succeed in their quest.He is also hopeful that the nominees will continue to be involved to the extent that they would seek to participate in the Leadership of the Party in the future. “I expect to see them fully involved in the Leadership during the forthcoming Election campaign and I expect to see them at our Party Biennial Congress seeking Leadership positions in our party.Indeed, that would be the acid test of the sincerity of their commitment. I therefore wish them all well as they join the band of workers striving to serve and transform our country.”The main tasks facing the PNCRWith the completion of yesterday’s congress and the election of the Presidential Candidate, Corbin asserted that members must remain conscious of the major challenges currently facing the party.“I dare say the most important task facing us after this Congress is the removal of the dictatorial PPP.”  And to achieve success, Corbin noted that there is need for a unified party with members who are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices for success.He underscored that since the PPP is already well financed, in order for the main opposition to succeed there is the necessity of raising the required funds to oil the election machinery. Yesterday Corbin pledged the sum of $100,000 towards party financing even as he encouraged others to play their roles by contributing in like manner.He explained that money is important to any election irrespective of available human resources even as he insisted that the party launch its Election Fund yesterday. “We have to pledge to use all the means at our disposal to raise the required funds. In this connection,Cheap NFL Jerseys, I hope that the Presidential nominees who have had some experience in raising funds for their individual campaigns, will lead the way.”And although no guidelines were instituted for financial accountability during the primaries, Corbin said that it is hoped that the nominees would recognise that while they were able to raise funds those funds were raised in the context of a PNCR election project.“I hope that they do not therefore consider those funds their personal property and would consider making the remainder immediately available to the Party’s 2011 Election Fund,” Corbin stressed yesterday.Meanwhile, there is the need to begin training party activists to undertake the many election tasks that must be successfully undertaken, Corbin said, adding that this is not an option, if the party is to learn from lessons of the past.Another task, he said, is the consolidation of a united group comprising all interested parties that would provide the best opportunity of defeating the PPP, establishing a Government of National Unity and making the necessary constitutional changes to guarantee progress and prosperity for all Guyanese.And in pursuit of the outlined tasks, all Presidential nominees still have important roles to play, Corbin stated. According to him it is expected that they will play the leading role of mobilising their supporters to collectively join the united efforts in the Party Election campaign.He also anticipates that that they will also be PNC/R’s leading candidates for this year’s elections since they have been in the limelight over the past months as they traversed the country in the many Town Hall style meetings.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 05:02 , Processed in 0.051931 second(s), 26 queries .