10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-16 15:37:25 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramIt was a town hall style meeting with over five hundred persons drawn from the Caribbean Community in attendance. The meeting was hosted by the Orange County Sheriff Department in Orlando, Florida as part of their outreach programme to discuss problems affecting the Caribbean residents in the County. The Sheriff (Chief of Police) was listening to speakers after speakers when one gentleman in the audience got up to address the meeting.“Men don’t beat your women; if you do you will get deported back to your country”.The entire audience burst out in laughter. Most of them,Marcus Johansson Capitals Jersey, I am sure, did not understand the seriousness of his statement,Henrik Lundqvist Rangers Jersey, in part because most men in the Caribbean “get away” with domestic abuse”. They never see it as a serious problem.In the U S, domestic violence is taken seriously, so serious that the immigration laws have provisions to deport men who assault their wives. In some cases there are provisions for some married women to get to get legal status (Green Card) if they have been victims of domestic violence.There are quite a few Guyanese men who have been deported back to Guyana for this very serious crime. They came over to the USA from Guyana with the same attitude and mentality that they can beat their women without consequences, only to find out that there is a zero tolerance for domestic violence.The problem is that the women don’t have to report it. You have a loud domestic argument in your house you see the police at your door. That’s because the neighbours call the cops. They feel that if the police come early it would prevent the situation from escalating into violence, which happens in most situations.Doctors and hospitals are required by law to report any suspicion of domestic battery. So if a woman turns up at the hospital with marks of violence on her body,Dustin Tokarski Canadiens Jersey, medical authorities have to report it regardless if the woman agrees or not.I had a tenant whose ex-girlfriend went to the hospital with an illness; the medical personnel observed some marks on her hands and immediately called the police, who in turn came and arrested the tenant for domestic battery.Not only that, the judge ordered him to leave the house, even though the ex-girlfriend was not living there (he had put her out). Turns out she was the aggressor and he was only defending himself, but it took months and lawyer’s fees to get that straightened out.The point I am trying to make is how serious domestic violence is taken here in the US. Men for the most part try to avoid conflicts with women because they know the consequences whether they are right or wrong. While I am emphasizing on men, I should add that the laws work vice versa.Coming back to Guyanese men, I recall reading of a Guyanese man in New York who repeatedly assaulted his wife. While on bail for domestic battery,Steven Stamkos Lightning Jersey, he broke the judge’s order of protection, and damaged her house. He was jailed,Justin Peters Capitals Jersey, and when released from prison a year later still went and stalked the woman.He was deported back to Guyana where I am sure he is continuing his abusive behaviour. Men with that attitude seldom change. A domestic batterer hardly changes; it’s in his DNA to have control and domination over women.Some would claim as Sparrow would say “it’s the bag of sugar down there” that causes men to hold on to these women at all cost,Adam Graves Rangers Jersey, even to the extent of murdering them. However the simple truth is it is all about power and control; these men cannot stand losing control.The thought of writing this article came after reading of the murder of two Guyanese women within days by their respective lovers,Paul Coffey Penguins Jersey, lovers who by the way did the community a service by committing suicide.Slavery, if I recall,Alex Galchenyuk Canadiens Jersey, was abolished in 1834 but this has not yet dawned on most Guyanese men. They feel if they are with a woman they own her,Steve Yzerman Red Wings Jersey, like a piece of property. This is the type of culture and mentality they grew up with, and have been “getting away with it” over the years.The government has been making some strong pronouncements on the issue, but needs to back it up with meaningful action.The question is what alternative the women in Guyana have? Their first line of protection is the police who for the most part are (a) men, (b) not trained to handle these situations, (c) generally do not consider it a serious offence as it should be. This is more prevalent in the rural areas. I am aware that the Guyana Police have made statements to the effect that they will take this type of offence serious, but the reality is a bit different.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 01:59 , Processed in 0.052003 second(s), 26 queries .