9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-19 22:44:17 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
DIASPORA LOOKING INBy Ralph SeeramWe arrived at Rosignol around 10 a.m. travelling on the road. Approaching the Rosignol Stelling ahead I can see the “ferryboat” docked at stelling. “Look like we will make the boat,” I remarked to the taxi driver. He retorted, “Nah. This is a 5 o clock crossing”.I then realized that we had to join the long line of cars and trucks which stretched for about a quarter mile. We had to join the back of the line.Now it took me about nine hours travelling time to get from my home in Florida to Guyana, and this little mile wide expanse of water will take almost the same time to cross.As I pondered on this irony, my friend who joined me in Georgetown for the trip to Berbice,Cheap Authentic Jerseys, assured me that we do not have a problem. He left for the stelling, came back about fifteen minutes later, told the driver to drive up to the gate; a gentleman opened the gate and we were first in line to cross.I subsequently learnt that it was called “priority crossing”. It came with a “fee” of US$15. Ok! Let’s call it for was it was; it was a bribe. Don’t ask me who it went to,Cheap Wholesale Jerseys, that was more than three years ago.During that period there were plans to bridge the Berbice River and I recalled the Berbice Chamber of Commerce voicing their displeasure about the location of the Bridge claiming the new bridge will put New Amsterdam at a disadvantage economically.Now as someone whose “navel string bury in New Amsterdam”, this got my attention, so when President Bharrat Jagdeo visited Orlando some years ago I took the opportunity to ask him for an explanation. The President pointed out that if he were to build the bridge further up the Berbice River the government would have to build a new road going up the West Bank of the Berbice River past Ithaca, and also from the East Bank of the Berbice River to the Corentyne Road.This would add another forty minutes to the trip,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, in addition to the manpower and gasoline that would be wasted. The President’s arguments made perfect sense and I totally agreed with him.Fast forward to January of this year. I made a trip New Amsterdam crossing the new bridge. Now I have read a lot of criticism of the bridge, how it is not “ascetic” and so forth. Well it’s functional, convenient, encourages more travelling and generating more economic activity.Given the choice of a seven-hour wait and a five-minute crossing, you know what the choice would be. If I were the President I would have named this bridge after myself,NFL Jerseys China, (I guess Ralph Ramkarran will have to do it) after all,China Jersyes Cheap, a few years from now it probably will be the only visible monument to his tenure as President.Jagdeo Berbice Bridge; Bharrat Bridge; Bharrat Jagdeo Bridge, take your pick the man deserves some credit. This brings me to the subject matter of this article.When you plan a project such as this bridge you do not just plan to build the bridge, you plan for the ancillary services that would complement the bridge. By this I mean, both ends of the Bridge should have a terminal with amenities along with a large parking lot so buses, taxis and cars can park.The point of course is that it is a transhipment point and it should be built for the convenience of the travelling public. It seems to me that this bridge was built for the public to cross and that’s it.Case in point. Last January, I saw cars parking along the Palmyra entrance of the bridge waiting for passengers,Cheap NFL Jerseys, parking on the shoulders of the road,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, because no parking lot was planned.On my last visit I saw no cars or minibuses and on inquiring was told that the police had removed them.My information is that when one crosses the bridge and would like to travel to the Corentyne, you have to go back to New Amsterdam to join a minibus or taxi then travel back passing the very entrance of the bridge on way to the Corentyne. What madness!! Who is the idiot that planned this bridge? Why is the police removing minibuses and taxis that park at the Palmyra entrance of the bridge? Is this an order from the “hammer”? Who is the idiot? This directly contradicts the President’s arguments for locating the bridge where it now stands. We are (I am still a Berbician) wasting manpower, time and gasoline on this nonsensical exercise, to use the President’s logic.So President Jagdeo, I know you are a “man of your word” to put it in Guyanese parlance. Go back to your original arguments for the bridge and correct this situation. Build a rest stop terminal with amenities and a parking lot for the travelling public.By the way, how many  people and how often do people go to a motoring tract, that $40 million for the Guyana Motor Racing tract will be better spent here,China Jerseys, not to mention the benefits for the  thousands that travel daily.Remember Bharrat; years from now when they are relaxing in your terminal enjoying some refreshments,Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping, watching your portrait on the wall, they will be thanking you profusely for the  Bharrat Jagdeo Bridge.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 00:24 , Processed in 0.067087 second(s), 26 queries .