帖子

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-27 04:16:46 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
-intended to advance support to cancer patientsThe fact that a number of patients are continuing to be diagnosed with cancer at an advanced stage suggests they may not have a chance at survival. This therefore means that many of them will simply have to prepare to die.Some members of the visiting OSHAG team. At left are nurses Maureen Chukwujindu and Ingrid Porter (respectively) and second from right is OSHAG President, Ms. Carol Bagot.But dying does not have to be completely unpleasant.It is for this reason that nurses attached to the Oncology Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) will from today be exposed to palliative care training with a view to ensuring that they have the skill set to help cancer patients who are terminally ill with a better quality of life during their remaining years.The training,Carlos Carmona Jersey, which is slated to culminate on Thursday, comes as part of the public institution’s collaboration with the United States-based Organisation for Social and Health Advancement in Guyana (OSHAG) which has been offering its support in the area of cancer care over the years. OSHAG is headed by Ms Carol Bagot who was able to solicit the support of expert Oncology Nurses to facilitate the training.The training was one that was requested by Mr. Alan Johnson who was acting in the capacity of Chief Executive Officer at the GPHC earlier this year.Like Bagot, the two nurses,Cheap Wholesale Jerseys, Maureen Chukwujindu and Ingrid Porter, set to take the lead in the training venture are Guyanese who migrated to the United States several years ago.Nurse Chukwujindu, who migrated from Guyana 40 years ago,Wholesale Jerseys China, said that she was already a trained nurse before she left these shores. She was trained at the St. Joseph Mercy Hospital.However her training in oncology and palliative care was in the United States.Nurse Chukwujindu has 25 years of experience as an Oncology Nurse. “I moved from bedside oncology nursing to clinical oncology nursing to actually purchasing, mixing and giving chemotherapy…This was all by choice; I wanted to see the whole picture of oncology,” said Chukwujindu. She used her expertise to set up her own Oncology Clinic in the United States.But according to her,Cheap Jerseys, “My first love has always been Guyana.”Nurse Chukwujindu said that she was eager to join forces with OSHAG to offer her expertise here.Porter, on the other hand, left Guyana as a teacher 36 years ago. She gravitated to the nursing profession when she migrated and has worked in many aspects of nursing over the years including nursing education.She has vast experience in both practising and teaching oncology nursing and palliative care. In fact she is an international trainer attached to the End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) a US project dedicated to palliative care. Porter,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, who is now retired, said that she is happy to share her knowledge with local nurses.“All I knew is that I wanted to take my retirement and come back home and see what I can do for my country…this is a place that I love,” Porter related.According to Bagot, “These nurses are well educated and have many years in regards to oncology nursing” and will therefore be able to help bolster the cancer care offered here.Cancer awareness is amplified annually during the month of October and OSHAG has over the years collaborated with the GPHC to raise awareness about the disease. The non-governmental organisation (NGO) was in fact instrumental in setting up the Oncology Unit of the hospital since among its main areas of focus is chemotherapy.According to Bagot, it was in 2014 that the NGO approached the GPHC to introduce the Oncology Unit. This move, she said was premised on the recognised need to provide treatment. But there was need for training even at this stage. The necessary training was facilitated then too by OSHAG and saw a team of nurses coming from the Memorial Sloan Kettering Centre, cancer hospital in New York, United States,Chris Chelios Jersey, to conduct a week-long training.But according to Bagot yesterday, “We recognised that the unit is being used by many patients in the country and it is the only unit here catering to all these women and men who have been diagnosed with cancer.”OSHAG has plans to have a sustained presence in Guyana and will therefore continue to collaborate to help ensure that cancer patients have access to treatment and are educated too about preventative measures.OSHAG is supported by fundraisers and assistance is also forthcoming from individuals and organisations. The NGO on this occasion was able to secure travel sponsorship from Dynamic Airways.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 08:20 , Processed in 0.067447 second(s), 26 queries .