10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-2-27 13:11:56 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Michael Benjamin As a lad attending primary school I had developed a penchant for reading and would frequent the library and bookstores in search of good material. I started off with the ‘Archie’ and ‘Jughead’ comics shortly before an introduction to the ‘Tin Tin’ series.By the time I graduated to Secondary School I became engrossed in the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series, genres that highlighted the investigative propensities of those characters.As I entered secondary school I meandered to mature literature and ‘Miguel Street’ and ‘The Year in San Fernando’ among other literary materials decked my bookshelf. Shortly afterwards I graduated to Mickey Spillane, J T Edson, the ‘Sudden’ series and Louis L’amour. The latter three western genres spiked my curiosity as the plots emphasized the vagaries of justice. However, the stars of those books meted out justice over the barrel of a Winchester or Smith and Wesson.The cowboy characters rode with two pistols at their sides while a belt of slugs strapped their waists. A Winchester slung across their shoulders or in some cases, at the side of their horses completed the getup. Ironically, it was a crime to carry a concealed weapon; one was required to have their weapons strapped to their waists or otherwise in clear public view.Those cowboys solved disputes in the most unorthodox of ways and most times it was the man with the fastest draw that survived. Remember ‘Gunfight at OK Corral?’ Of course, even amidst such freedom to bear arms,Cheap Washington Nationals Jersey Jerseys, there were those cowards who, scared to engage in fair fights, hid along the trails and bushwhacked their adversaries. Nowadays carrying firearms without the requisite permission,Cheap Chicago White sox Jersey Jerseys, whether concealed or in plain view, is illegal yet the bushwhacking continues,Cheap Los Angeles Dodgers Jersey Jerseys, only this time it is referred to as ‘assassination’ or ‘extra judicial killings.’During my early introduction to these Western novels,Cheap Seattle Mariners Jersey Jerseys, I had unwittingly developed a sense of right and wrong and naturally gravitated to the side of the cowboys that used their guns in representation of law abiding citizens against the injustices of their powerful nemesis. In many scenarios, justice was meted out in the bars where gunfights between the villains and the heroes were arranged. The loser would be unceremoniously and ignominiously dragged behind his steer and buried in some unmarked spot.Modernization has since changed all that and while I understand that in certain parts of the United States of America citizens are allowed to carry guns strapped to their sides, the laws of most Third World countries prohibit common folks from carrying firearms, whether concealed or exhibited,Cheap Boston Red Sox Jersey Jerseys, unless they receive a special permit from the police.Despite the enactment of this law, criminal minded citizens procure illegal guns and the reports in the daily newspapers are riddled with numerous cases of assassinations, illegal possession of these dangerous weapons and a plethora of gun related crimes that places undue pressure on limited human resources in the courts. The slothful pace of justice has resulted in a return to olden days when gunfights at the OK Corral ruled the roost. The only difference is that society frowns heavily on such means of conflict resolution and even a surreptitious glance at activities within the austere halls of the Courts will confirm that many are resorting to the use of illegal guns to resolve their problems.Law abiding citizens would experience grave difficulties returning to those days when justice was sought and differences settled over the barrel of a gun. This group is more wont to seek redress through the courts of law. Even as law abiding citizens welcome such civilized adaptations, there are those that are peeved by the sloth of justice and the many unsolved assassinations suggest that many citizens have resorted to the long despised tradition of justice over the barrel of an (illegal) gun. Consequently, over the years we have witnessed a return of the bushwhackers and the concomitant result that has left many orphans and single parents in its wake. Approaches for justice in the courts are frustrating due to the slothful backlog of cases.After many a serious crime, citizens have shouted ‘Oh God, call the police!’ thus law enforcement officers have been known to quip that ‘After God is the Police. Law abiding citizens are quick to seek recourse at the courts but their first approach is to the police officers whose responsibility is to investigate,Cheap Jerseys, establish the merits of the case, charge and prosecute the offenders. A recent perusal at what obtains in our courts of justice begs the questions, ‘Are our police officers doing their jobs in ensuring that errant citizens answer for their transgressions? Are aggrieved citizens receiving justice enough to garner confidence in the judicial system or do they leave these august halls of justice in disgruntled, unsatisfied states?Over the past few weeks I have had reasons to be in court and had a first hand look at the way the system works. A few Mondays ago I was instructed to be at Court three of the magistracy by 08:30hrs to give evidence in a certain case. Anyone driving at that hour of the morning would understand the many frustrations experienced maneuvering through the maze of traffic coupled with some of the traffic lights that sometimes barely afford five vehicles to pass before turning red for inordinate periods. Cognizant of these and other encumbrances I left home very early and arrived at the prescribed time for court. Three hours later, I still sat in the filled, hot court room awaiting the start of proceedings. I also noted a flurry of movement among the prosecutor and other police officers. At around 11:30hrs the magistrate exited his chambers and took to the bench. Just before calling up his first case he explained, in the most disgruntled of tones, that his work was delayed because his clerk had reported ill that morning and no other official could have said where his court jackets were. “I came here this morning with the zest to put in a good day’s work but now this development is less than encouraging,” the magistrate complained. Nevertheless, the honourable magistrate decided to proceed with the few cases where the dockets were available.What followed afterwards was pure incompetence of the police on one end of the continuum to a travesty of justice on the other. On several occasions police officers that were supposed to present evidence in certain cases were absent and the prosecutor could offer no tangible explanation for such faux pas. Further, the magistrate was forced to berate the prosecutor for employing circuitous questions that had no bearing on the issue under consideration. On one occasion he offered a better way to frame a question to procure the required response. These are just a few of the blunders that sometimes set criminals free for the want of proper presentation of cases by the prosecution.The one that took the cake occurred after a witness in a certain case had completed his tenure in the box and another individual was summoned to corroborate the aforementioned testimony. After he had spent about two minutes in the box,Cheap New York Mets Jersey Jerseys, the magistrate realized that the witness’ testimony conflicted, instead of corroborated with that of the former witness when it should have been the other way around. Curious, the magistrate posed certain questions to the witness and it was then that it was discovered that this particular witness was not given an opportunity to discuss the case with the prosecutor. By now the magistrate’s hand was in the air and his voice went up a few decibels in indignation.I returned to court on another occasion and it was déjà vu once again. This time, a young man charged with robbery under arms was freed after the police witness, who had repeatedly failed to appear, was again a no show with the prosecutor at a loss for an explanation.The final indication that ‘things are not so comfy in Harlem’ occurred when the magistrate ordered the prosecution to procure statements from a witness in a case where over half million dollars was misappropriated yet the complainant failed to present himself to give evidence. The police claimed that they had instructed him to be in court. The magistrate refused to believe that anyone would be content with losing such a vast sum and refuse to give evidence against the alleged perpetrator/s. He set a new date and ordered the police to present tangible evidence that indeed the witness had been instructed to be at the courts.There were other cases where the police officers claimed that they had made entries in the station ledger and the magistrate ordered them to provide the ledger. At the next hearing this was not done and the magistrate reluctantly dismissed a case for want of prosecution. This simply meant that some hapless citizen would have been denied justice.Citizens approach the courts for redress because they are law abiding and refuse to take the law into their own hands. If what I witnessed in court over the past month is attestation of justice, then perhaps it is no wonder that some behave as if this is the wild, wild West.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 03:41 , Processed in 0.072771 second(s), 28 queries .