10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-3 22:02:50 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Dale Andrews Last Thursday I covered another assignment in Buxton, East Coast Demerara, and unlike several other occasions, the atmosphere was not one of apprehension but one of feeling free and welcomed.There was a time when one went into Buxton, wondering whether one had a right to be there. Even the police used to think so during that period.Last Thursday’s assignment was to cover a fire. I parked my car on the Railway Embankment and did not even take the time to secure it properly, leaving my bag with some very important equipment inside.It was not that I was careless but my immediate greeting from villagers made me feel at home and I saw no need to be ultra cautious.I found out that the village, which was once labeled (and rightly so) the crime capital of the country, has become more accommodating within recent times.Of course there were the usual limers with their dreadlocks. But these same limers were the ones who readily and willingly offered the information I was seeking.This clearly puts paid to the profiling of persons,Rey Maualuga College Jersey, a measure that is unfairly used by the local law enforcement agencies.There were times when reporters were reluctant to cover assignments (and there were many) in the village of Buxton and its surroundings- I was no exception.Others would be skeptical if even if they had to pass Buxton to get to their intended destination.Almost everyday there was a killing, a robbery,Wholesale Jerseys, a kidnapping or a confrontation between gunmen and the security forces—all linked to the village.Even the police were at times reluctant to respond to reports of criminal activity there.“Even if they are killing themselves in there we will not go because sometimes we run into an ambush,” one policeman had remarked during the days when gunmen controlled the village.Utility companies like the Guyana Power and Light and the Guyana Water Incorporated were powerless to recover monies owed for the supply of the basic services. Hire purchase companies also suffered.While many had blamed the gunmen who were using the village as a haven, others lashed out at the residents who they claimed provided shelter.But to date, no one in the village has been charged with harbouring fugitives,Lonzo Ball UCLA Jersey, which makes a mockery of the suggestion that the village was harbouring the criminals.Many persons had fled their homes and today there are strong indications that some are returning.Since those days there has been a sharp decline in criminal activity in the village, so much so that persons who were reluctant to do business in the village are returning quickly.“I have no problems going into Buxton now,” one sales representative told this newspaper.But there is one stumbling block and this has to do with the fractured relationship with the police.Recently,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar UCLA Jersey, Buxtonians rejected an olive branch offered by the police for talks to restore relationship with the village following the worst crime wave between 2002 and 2008.In a move that bears startling resemblance to negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians, the Buxtonians,Wake Forest Demon Deacons Jerseys, through a committee identified to represent them, are demanding the release of two villagers who have been charged with separate high profile criminal acts before any talks could be started.The two villagers are David Leander, called ‘Biscuit’ who is on trial for the murders of Satydeow Sawh, and three others at LBI,JuJu Smith-Schuster USC Jersey, and James Isles who is charged with the Lusignan massacre.“You can’t get people holding for something that they did not do,” the source said.New Divisional Commander, Assistant Commissioner Balram Persaud, confirmed that an approach was made to community leaders in the village for consultations on normalizing of relations between the two sides.“I have approached them. But some want to lay conditions for the talks. If we don’t reach at the table we can’t achieve anything,Matt Leinart College Jersey,” the police commander told this newspaper.While the mother of James Isles is of the view that the initiative is a good one, she believes that her son’s continued detention could hinder progress.“It’s good; it’s not a bad deal. God knows my son is innocent,” Isles’s mother declaredIsles was arrested in February last year following the slaying of 11 persons in East Coast Demerara community of Lusignan Pasture.Relations had deteriorated in 2002 following the killing of Buxtonian Tshaka Blair.Since then there have been ongoing conflicts between the two sides, forcing the administration to employ the services of the army to assist the police in their operations in the village.Three policemen were executed in the village, while gunmen who used Buxton as their hideout as the situation spiraled out of control attacked others in nearby communities.Last Thursday, when I got back to my car I was not surprised that everything was intact. The villagers are mindful of the bad publicity that they had been given over the past few years and are determined to ensure that the opposite occurs instead.What used to happen in Buxton is now occurring in Agricola, once the home of the late gang leader Rondell ‘Fine Man’ Rawlins.And of course Buxtonians now feel justified in their claims that their village was held hostage by criminals from outside even as Buxton itself had just a few criminals of its own and a few misguided youths who took advantage of the situation.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 22:12 , Processed in 0.068306 second(s), 28 queries .