10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-5 01:22:11 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
…visitors still come every year to the ‘bushed out’ ruins By Zena Henry Being classed among the largest mass suicides in the history of the world,Taylor Mays College Jersey, the events of Jonestown,O.J. Simpson USC Jersey, where more than 900 people lost their lives at one time is no minor matter. In fact,Brian Cushing USC Jersey, Guyana became known to many outsiders for the tragedy of the former Port Kaituma settlement.Port Kaituma resident Stephanie MiguelThat is why some are saying that Jonestown could be saved,Kevin Love UCLA Jersey, restored and “despite the disaster of it, Jonestown is a part of Guyana’s history and should be preserved.”  Captain Rodwell Astil Paul, one of those spared on that dark November 18, 1978 day, introduced the idea of revitalizing the potential historical site, and the people of Port Kaituma have seconded it.In a visit to the North West District last week, residents expressed their support to have the area restored. They said that not only will it be good for their community,Chris Paul Wake Forest Jersey, but it will also be beneficial to the country, since annually, Jonestown guarantees a number of visits, especially from large church congregations. This, they continued, is despite the overgrowth of bushes and difficulty in accessing the area.Stephanie Miguel said that she was about nine-years-old when the events of Jonestown unfolded. Now a miner,Troy Aikman College Jersey, Miguel has been living in Port Kaituma all her life. For her, Jonestown could never be forgotten and she hopes that one day some sort of life could be restored to the area.Miguel said she lost a cousin, Renrick Dawson; a follower of the People’s Temple church, led by American, self proclaimed preacher, Jim Jones. Miguel said that as a little girl she used to go into Jonestown for medication. “It was a place where we also went to do our shopping. My aunt worked there as a labourer and there was a school and other institutions.”“I used to live about a mile away from Jonestown and it’s just as if I used to be opposite, so I used to be in there regularly. When I needed something to buy or needed medical attention that is where I went.” Miguel added that Jonestown to date, still sees its share of visitors. “People come every year to get to Jonestown.  I don’t think anyone is allowed to go in there,Cheap Villanova Wildcats Jerseys, but when they come they jump on the bike or whatever and they gone.  When they go inside there I don’t think the police go with them.”“The plane would wait for them, and they visit.” “Sometimes when people come and want to visit, I would take them with my pick up and they get a chance to see some things. I would show them the container that was used to mix the poison.”Miguel added that mostly churches come in large groups,Wake Forest Demon Deacons Jerseys, “and I carry them because they want to see where Jonestown is.” One gentleman, Miguel recalled,Reggie Miller UCLA Jersey, who lived in Jonestown came some time back on the Church of Christ medical team, “and so we knew him from being in there as a medical person.”The entrance of the 20- min drive to Jonestown off the populated edge of Port Kaituma.Another resident, who did not give a name, said that it would be wonderful if Jonestown was restored. She said that it is unfortunate that people do not see the value in restoring the site instead of making claims about capitalizing on a tragedy.Commentators have noted their concern that the country should not take advantage of such a terrible mishap. It was noted too that revenue, whether local or foreign, should not be on the agenda when speaking of Jonestown.The resident charged, however, that Port Kaituma is only being viewed for its gold producing potential, while consideration is not being placed on the environment. While the resident said she supports the restoration idea, she is not optimistic about a response.Captain Paul maintains however that Jonestown will remain in Guyana’s history, and while so much of the country’s history is under threat by modernization, there are some fundamentals that should remain. Some 918 people died after consuming the poisonous concoction fed to them by their ‘self professed Messiah,’ “that should be kept no secret,” the newspaper was told.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 05:10 , Processed in 0.069260 second(s), 28 queries .