9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-7 01:03:17 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieAs I grow older,Gerardo Flores Mexico Jersey, my expectations of life changes every so often. I start looking for excuses to get away and do little things like a long drive to the countryside, a little fishing and even reading.Leonard GildarieWhile these activities are limited to my Sundays,Matias Vecino Uruguay Jersey, the reality is that they are few and far between.I love peace and quiet away from the office. It is the only way to deal with the demands of work. Those little weekend getaways are waited on with much anticipation.I could not help but reflect on those little breaks this past week as I watched and listened to, with growing horror, the developments in the National Assembly.From total indifference to walkouts and even the middle finger,Jurgen Damm Mexico Jersey, the disrespect shown by each side of the House to each other is unacceptable.Let me first say that I don’t expect the floor of the House, where the country’s laws are made, to be a picnic. I understand the political posturing. (But I am of the distinct impression that when our Parliamentarians took their oath, they said some words that spoke of serving the people of Guyana and looking out for the good of the country.I have been studying with intense interest the announcements in the budget with regard to taxes,Andres Guardado Mexico Jersey, pensions and other measures.I don’t have to agree with everything that Government does. I have long concluded that any Government in office will screw up. It is natural. So I will fiercely defend my right to speak up against anything I believe is contrary to what was promised to me.I have over time been talking about a need for proper consultations when we have to decide on things that are important for this country. The previous administration was guilty of it,Cristopher Toselli Chile Jersey, and this administration is too.Too often, a number of key decisions had to be made that require national consultations and we see a small advertisement stuck somewhere about two days before.It is important, as in the past week,Jose Maria Gimenez Uruguay Jersey, a number of stakeholders have been complaining of some of the measures announced by Government. It is my understanding that when consultations are held,Edson Puch Chile Jersey, there are proposals tabled and views aired that are taken into consideration.I presume, too,Mikael Ishak Sweden Jersey, that the stakeholders are advised on what decisions are likely to be taken on the way forward.You cannot tell the populace at the 11th hour that you want to talk. That is, of course, if there was no proper consultations in the first place.I distinctly heard that the Finance Ministry consulted with stakeholders and the Opposition reportedly stayed away from critical meetings.I have had front seat opportunities to view consecutive budget debates. This one, for the 2017 national budget,Angelo Henriquez Chile Jersey, has taken on different undertones. The administration is facing intense scrutiny from an Opposition that has been in Government and knows how it all works.What has me worried is the level of representation from our Parliamentarians.Many of them were seen reading from prepared, rehearsed speeches. The hand movements and connections were insincere and I was not impressed.There were some shining moments.Being on the floor of the National Assembly is to me one of the highest honours. You can’t do better than that.We all know that the country cannot continue with business as usual. Being named as one of the poorest countries in the world is an indictment. It is time we bridge the gap that has divided us and look at the bigger picture…what is needed to make Guyana great.We are not doing badly compared to our neighbours. But we can do so much more.I would love to see Parliamentarians disagreeing with their colleagues publicly and even crossing the floor on some issues. I would love to see them stop reading their presentations and just talk to the people.Our Parliamentarians were supposed to be the cream of the crop of Guyanese. People who understand the issues. People who can debate the issues. We have to the raise the bar.Use the backrooms to come to agreements and ensure our consultations are meaningful.I dare our Parliamentarians to take it to the next level.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 06:35 , Processed in 0.054670 second(s), 28 queries .