9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-9 03:05:48 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
–    APNU “boycotts” event By Abena Rockcliffe To commemorate International Women’s Day, the National Assembly yesterday hosted a programme that sought to honour women. The event’s main objective was to zero in on works of longstanding female parliamentarians and one parliament staffer.The event marked the second of its kind; the first being last year when A Partnership for National Unity (APNU)’s Amna Ally was honoured as the longest serving female Member of Parliament while Jaitun Haniff was acknowledged longest standing female member of staff.From left: Olga Aaron, Indranie Chandarpal, Gail Teixeira, and Clarissa Riehl. In the background is Speaker of the National Assembly, Raphael Trotman.The ceremony, held at Tower Hotel was planned with the intention of honouring government Members of Parliament Gail Teixeira, former Deputy Speaker Clarissa Riehl, Indranie Chandarpal, who is also a government MP, and Parliament staffer, Olga Aaron.However, though an initial programme received by this newspaper indicated that tokens were to be handed to the honourees, this did not happen. Instead, it was announced that a decision was made for that aspect to be done at a later date; supposedly at the next parliamentary sitting.This was, from all indications, because of the absence of any APNU representativeWord circulating yesterday was that APNU’s move to – as described by government officials -”boycott the event”, stemmed from the party being upset with House Speaker Raphael Trotman, whose initiative it was to carry out yesterday’s proceedings.Kaieteur News understands that APNU is still peeved about the way the Speaker made his final ruling on the much publicised “Rohee gag order.”Parliamentarian Dr. Vindhya Persaud commented yesterday that she was gravely disappointed over the “fact” that one of the major political parties (APNU) couldn’t have seen it fit to set aside “whatever differences, and support an event like this.”Persaud noted that women are some of the top decision-makers in Guyana and a day where they are being honoured by the National Assembly is one worth being acknowledged by politicians.“Women are changing the world and play an important role in this country,” she emphasised.Another female government MP, Bibi Shadick, commented that APNU’s “boycott” was a slap in the face of all Guyanese women.  According to Shadick, she had heard that the party chose to stay away to protest the Speaker, “but this is not a political forum, this is all about great women.”Trotman, when approached for a comment,Juan Uribe Indians Jersey, made it clear that no APNU representative had signaled any intention not to attend the forum. He noted,San Francisco Giants Mel Ott Jersey, however, that he too heard through the grapevine that the party intended not to attend; but no formal correspondence was presented to him.He advised that last year when APNU MP Amna Ally was honoured she received “full support” from all parties.Long-serving member and former deputy speaker Clarissa Riehl said she would not comment much on the matter, but she did express the opinion that” rivalries could have been set aside”.Ally, APNU’s chief whip, said that she could not have given an account as to “why the others didn’t attend. I know I just couldn’t have made it, I can’t speak for the others,Baltimore Orioles Jim Palmer Jersey, but I am not aware of any boycott.”When Member of Parliament and Attorney at Law James Bond was contacted and asked about his absence, he responded that, “I don’t see that as being news.”Bond was slated to be the Moderator of the programme and was also scheduled to present tokens to one of the honourees.When asked if he stayed away without informing organizers, and asked to confirm whether or not his party boycotted the programme, the attorney,Detroit Tigers Anibal Sanchez Jersey, who once contested for the post of party leader,Travis Wood Cubs Jersey, said “the government knows better than I would, and whether or not I attended, I don’t see it as being news, especially in my capacity as moderator.”Government representatives who were scheduled to speak were also absent, but this publication was made to understand that excuses were given. Also, even though the Alliance For Change had representatives in attendance, persons from that party slated to give remarks did not show up.Nevertheless, the programme went on. Speaker Trotman, in brief remarks, cited this year’s theme “The Gender Agenda: Gaining Momentum.” He said that women all over the world are gaining momentum.He then sought to point out Guyanese women who have done so throughout the country’s history, such as Viola Burnham, Janet Jagan, Cheryl Sampson,Julio Jones Falcons Jersey UK, Jane Phillips-Gay, Amna Ally, Gail Teixeira and Indranie ChandarpalTrotman used the opportunity to suggest that “we move away from the notion that it’s either you’re with us or against us”. He said that it is time all stand for “the people.”Also, he noted that he saw the video of the miners being beaten by the police, but singled that it was barbaric to the extreme to beat a woman and her childThe keynote speaker, University of Guyana lecturer Cecilia McAlmont, provided a narrative of the journey of women in Guyana from the days when they were treated as a minority to where they “have arrived as equals”.Teixeira, said that she is pleased to look at the position where women now stand in Guyana, but believes that more is possible.“You know we women always want more, so we must strive for that.”She said that she hopes that this generation of women continues along the path that she walked.Asked to comment about the challenges for a woman in parliament, she said that she has “learnt to take the good with the ugly” and would recommend that to any interested woman.“Even if you’re shaking in your shoes, go out and bat.”Teixeira reflected that she was in politics since she was 19, “…it has been 41 years.”“I recommend that career women have confidence, self-esteem and be prepared. We’ve got to be prepared. Men won’t say give her a break,Baltimore Orioles Dylan Bundy Jersey, she is a woman.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 11:58 , Processed in 0.073409 second(s), 28 queries .