9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-11 12:45:16 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Jarryl BryanThe scourge of suicide has almost been overwhelming in Guyana in recent times. The recent escalation caused President David Granger to convene a suicide prevention meeting on January 8.Orlanzo Webster with two of his CDs.And there are others who want to play their part. Thirty-two year old Police Corporal Orlanzo Webster,Stedman Bailey West Virginia Jersey, is a General Duty rank stationed at Central Police Station. He is a writer, singer and co-producer who goes by the name of ‘Big hard times’, and is determined to reach out to those most at risk using music. In fact, his lyrics are drawn from societal issues.Webster, who holds a degree in Strategic Management, is adamant that music has a great deal of influence on the minds of everyone, especially youths. With research indicating that there is a suicide every second around the world and statistics from the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) showing that suicide ranks among the leading causes of death among youths aged 13-24 in Guyana, there is no doubt that any positive message would be of consequence.As an officer of the law, Webster is cognizant of how serious the issue is.Recalling the case of the pregnant 14 year old,Gabe Carimi Wisconsin Jersey, Sherry anne Alli and her 21 year old lover, Deoraj Persaud, who were found hanging in a house at Lonsdale, East Bank Berbice, just six days into 2016,NFL Jerseys China, Webster opined that the case appeared to be one in which a young couple lacked the requisite guidance.“When I talk about guidance, I mean parental. So some people lean on their own understanding (of life) when they should have talked to somebody, who could advise them or show compassion and cause them to ignore their dangerous inclination.”VULGARITYWebster then made a detour while relating to youths.“As a police officer and a university graduate,Klay Thompson Washington State Jersey, I am very serious about songs that promote vulgarity. I believe that musicians have an essential role to play in society. I believe that from the time one becomes a musician, he becomes a leader.”“The influence that music carries on young people can cause either upliftment or destruction,” Webster said. “Even if you want to sing dancehall lyrics, the message must be positive. It must be a message of upliftment to all in society. Even if I want to bring out a particular point about sex life (in a song), I try to use words that are not degrading.”Webster pointed to cases where DJ’s got crowds excited or “hyped” to the point where violence erupted at dances, or girls exposed themselves indecently. Indeed, amateur videos have trended on social media platforms including Facebook, showing girls stripping to the command of DJ’s at dances. Webster referenced this as example of the power of DJ’s on members of the public.“DJ’s of today must contribute to positiveness in society. Play lyrics that people will enjoy and not lyrics that people will want to fight and glorify violence.”“(Sometimes) a DJ tells himself that he can play music and he can go behind a mike,” he said, also expressing the opinion that many DJ’s lack an academic foundation. “This (the result) makes the police work more hard, makes families have to cry.”“My mission as a musician is to police people through music, as my talent is singing. It is a form of entertainment enforcement,” he said. “And I must praise the Commanders out there who try to get involved in society.”POLICE AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCEWebster also touched on another troubling issue – domestic violence. He reflected that it is usually when a case has become frustrating to either or both partners that a report is made at the station. He stated that it would rarely be the first instance of violence when partners show up at the station to make that report.“…So when a woman or man shows up at the station,C.J. Fair Syracuse Jersey, the police have to take immediate action. Make the person comfortable, interview them and file the report. And Commanders are very serious now. If one doesn’t feel comfortable, they can go to the hierarchy to make the report.”Webster stressed that how police handle initial reports is an important link in how such cases end.He also highlighted that the law caters for everyone, regardless of gender.“Men probably used to feel intimidated about going to the station. But in this modern age, every rank is (educated) in handling domestic violence cases. The key lesson is they are being reminded (in training) that every victim must be treated equally.”PLANS FOR 2016Webster noted that for 2016, he will be launching an album entitled “Stop Suicide & Domestic Violence”.According to him,Mighty Oregon Oregon Jersey, the lyrics speak directly to these issues and in some way offer advice and guidance on how to avoid them, but “in the form of dancehall”. He referenced the lyrics of one song entitled “Back, back home”.“If yuh know yuh man a give you blow, why you going back, back home?If yuh know yuh wife a give you blow, why you going back,South Carolina Fighting Gamecocks Jerseys, back home?You give yuh partner everything, but still it nah change him.You better consider someone else before domestic violence is in the ending.”“If yuh know yuh wife a give you blow, why you going back, back home?You give yuh partner everything but still it nah change him. You better consider someone else before domestic violence is in the ending.”“Ignore the women dem, if dem cannot solve the problem.Ignore the women dem, when them can’t behave themselves.Sometimes you have to accept the wrong or the right, in an effort to avoid big,Drew Brees Purdue Jersey, big fight.”Webster stated that the prevailing theme of his music was its Guyanese flavour. He stressed that it was important for foreigners to be able to identify the music as coming from a Guyanese singer and consequently, that Guyanese were serious about bringing awareness to suicide and domestic violence.Webster also noted that he will be using the electronic and social media platform intensely in a bid to bring awareness to these issues. He said that it will encompass the airwaves, television and the internet.“Being around groups and events,Denarius Moore Tennessee Jersey, I will seize every opportunity to (urge) young people to ignore suicide and to turn away from domestic violence. It’s not about violence against women and children alone; it’s about violence against everybody.”Important to reiterate is the fact that Webster is a serving rank of the Police Force and as he goes about his beat, he also intends to educate those he meets while exercising his duties.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 17:38 , Processed in 0.070339 second(s), 26 queries .