帖子

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-15 19:49:58 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Lindeners took to the streets early yesterday to raise awareness of breast cancer as Breast Cancer Awareness month came to an end.The walk commenced at the Linden Utility Services Cooperative Society Limited (LUSCSL) on Burnham Drive, Wismar and ended on Republic Avenue, Mackenzie at the Georgetown/ Mackenzie Bus Park.It was the fifteenth annual breast cancer awareness walk organized by Women on the Move. For some persons, participating in the walk every year is a must.One such person is Juliet Alexander, a former Mashramani Queen, whose mother succumbed to cervical cancer at the relatively young age of 47.With a wistful look on her face Ms. Alexander confessed. “I’m now approaching my fiftieth, but I can tell you when I was approaching 47, I was so fearful- I suddenly developed this fear that what happened to my mother could happen to me! Being the only girl in a family of three, only served to exacerbate her fears.“My mother’s death really broke us up- I especially became very anxious.”She however concedes that the one good thing that her mother’s death has taught her, is to never take her own health for granted.Judy Gravesande Noel right Founder member of Women on the Move and participants preparing for the walkJuliet Alexander holds up a photo of her mom,Authentic NFL Jerseys Wholesale China, who succumbed to cancerAlexander said that she has been participating in the cancer awareness walk from its inception, and even won a trophy one year. However her main concern in participating in the walk is about raising awareness.Alexander said she takes a VIA cervical cancer test every six months,NFL Jerseys Outlet From China, does pap smears and has also done a mammogram.Yesterday’s walk and the sizeable crowd it attracted told a story of a community with a higher level of consciousness, regarding their own health as well as that of their loved ones.Attracting participants of every age group between seven to 70 and over, the crowd was a mix of men, women and children, and included persons from various organizations including the UDFA,World Baseball Classic Jerseys, the Linden Hospital Complex, Republic Bank Staff, and several teachers and housewives. Winners in the different categories received trophies.Coordinator and founder member of Women on the Move, Judy Gravesande Noel, said that this year’s walk was the best so far.“This year it was the biggest and by far the best, and I first of all must thank God for yet another successful walk. I’m overwhelmed by the participation. We also have to thank the people that helped to make this possible yet another year; those are the persons that contributed tangibly, like Bosai, B.Harry Lumber Yard and Cozab’s to name a few.”Noel, on reflecting on the genesis of the walk in Linden, said that she was inspired to do it after participating in a similar event in Georgetown.She also named some of the persons in Linden that succumbed to cancer including Pastor Hazel Alleyne who died recently and Samuel Barker.Former member of Parliament Vanessa Kissoon, a senior executive of the UDFA  and President of the group Virtuous women on a Mission, said that she was very pleased with the turnout and to also be a part of the walk. Kissoon alluded to the health of women being of paramount importance as it can affect the entire family, and by extension the community. “Healthy women produce healthy babies and so we can have a healthy nation.” Kissoon thanked Impressions of Georgetown for designing the banners.Medex Charles-Quimby applauded the cancer awareness initiative and said that people are becoming more health conscious.Quimby advised that girls should start going for VIA as soon as they become sexually active regardless of their age. “Some of them come to us and they ask questions,Jerseys NFL Wholesale China Online, so we are encouraging them to continue to do so. We don’t go from 15 to 49 anymore; as soon as you start having sex,Jerseys NFL Wholesale China, if you start from ten we advise you to come; feel free.”Quimby said that persons are now seeking treatment earlier. She noted that if adequate treatment is not available in Linden, patients are referred to Georgetown.On a scale of one to ten, Quimby said that she would say that awareness is eight out of ten,Cheap NFL Jerseys Supply, thanks to the Cancer Awareness Walk over the years.(Enid Joaquin)
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 23:37 , Processed in 0.068418 second(s), 26 queries .