9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-16 20:50:08 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Jenelle Carter Like true West Indians, on the night of February 17 last year, almost every television set owned by Barticians was tuned to the Stanford 20/20 match between Guyana and Antigua. No one envisioned that a blood bath was about to happen in a place many deemed a paradise.On that faithful night, 13 persons lost their lives as marauding gunmen stormed the police station and drove around the community shooting indiscriminately.Now, one year later, the community is still trying to come to grips with that dreadful night, images of which still linger in the minds of almost every resident.For the Regional Executive Officer, one year later, the memories of that faithful night still linger as it does with the families of all the victims. On Thursday, Peter Ramotar said that he has not yet fully recovered from the incident.Recounting that night, Ramotar said he was in his living room watching the Stanford 20/20 match when the loud cracking sound of gunshots invaded his reverie.“I think nights are most dreaded time for Barticians…as for me, I get kind of uneasy in the nights. When I hear boats passing in the river,Ricky Stanzi Iowa Jersey, at the back of your mind, you would ask if it is gunmen coming or other unsavory characters,” Ramotar said.He said that one positive that has come out of that horrible incident is the fact that it has drawn Barticians even closer together.“I think Barticians did manage to draw strength from each other to pull through the ordeal, and that was one thing I admire among residents after the incident,” Ramotar added.Despite the negative impact on some businesses following the incident, most Barticians somehow did manage to get their lives back together and move on since February 17.The Bartica massacre touched a wide cross section of Guyanese, since those killed were not only Barticians. Of the 13 killed, only two were Barticians; the others came from across the East Coast of Demerara, the Essequibo Coast, the Soesdyke/Linden Highway and the West Coast of Demerara.The two Barticians who lost their lives were Orvin Ferreira and Edwin Gilkes.These two families still reside in Bartica and are haunted by the memories of their loved ones’ deaths.For Ferreira’s wife of 41 years, the past year has not been easy, but she has managed to pull through. One thing she was planning to do with her husband when he was alive has materialized.Norma Valentine said they were building a house before her husband died. The house has been completed, but she hasn’t made any effort to move in.“I know he would want me to be happy and move on with my life; that was a promise we made to each other, that whoever dies first the other one is expected to move on and be happy, and that is what he would want,” Ms, Valentine said.At the time of Ferreira’s death, he was 71 and his wife was 70. Ms. Valentine said she still lives with the memories, but never did she envision or could she imagine something so horrible happing to her community.“I born and grew in Bartica as a child, and robberies and shooting was something that never occurred. I guess we were somewhat naïve all the years my husband was doing security work. I was never scared for him.”Now, one year later, Ms. Valentine said, her faith in Christ is what kept her during the past year, in addition to the love and support of her children.While it has been said that the persons responsible for the Bartica killings have also been shot and killed, Ms. Valentine said she sees those persons’ deaths as yet other murders. Ferreira was killed after the gunmen stormed the CBR Mining Company. He was at the time guarding the business place when the gunmen stormed it. His head was placed on a freezer and he was shot to the head at point blank range.For the employees of CRB Mining, Ferreira’s death did bring about some change. At the company, one employee, Ganga Persaud,Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina Jersey, said that the security at the company has been reinforced but he refuses to work late hours.Meanwhile,Wholesale Jerseys China, for the family of the other Bartician who was killed, Edwin Gilkes, every day is a nightmare.The dead man’s sister, Agnes Gilkes, said that she and the other siblings have still not come to grips with their brother’s death.“Every day we would call each other and talk about Edwin, and before we know it, we would start crying by virtue of not having him around,” the dead man’s sister said.She said that since his death she has moved back to Bartica to live, thus fulfilling a promise she made to him the night before he died.“The night before the incident, he called and he had just completed his house so he was moving out from the family house; so he wanted me to come to take care of the house and I told him I would come. He asked me to promise him that I would,” Agnes said, as tears flowed down her face.Agnes said she was very close to her brother, and all there childhood memories still linger with her. She recalled that he was a very encouraging person and always had something to say that would make her smile in the worst situation. On the night Edwin died, Agnes said, she was living on the West Bank of Demerara and she received a call saying there was a shooting.“I kept calling around because I knew my brother was working as the security guard at Banks DIH, but I was getting no answers,” she recalled. Still hoping for the best,Ryan Broyles Oklahoma Jersey, Agnes said, she then decided to call the Bartica Hospital, and it was then her worst fears were confirmed. She was informed by a nurse on duty that her brother was killed.Now, life for the Gilkes family has changed, but the incident did manage to bring the family even closer together,Patrick Willis Ole Miss Jersey, as most tragedies do.For Edwin’s other sister, Yvette, it is the same. When this newspaper caught up with her, the minute her brother’s name was mentioned, she broke into tears.“He loved black cake, and he had asked me for black cake. I was going to the bank, and as usual I would go to his work place to see him, and I promised him the cake, but I never got the chance to take it back for him,” Yvette said.“What makes the situation even harder is, given the fact that I am a head teacher and my children would always come to me when they see me sitting alone.”For the other families, the past year has been very challenging, but they have all made it through.For the family of police constable Shane Fredericks, the past year has been very difficult, but the good memories of him and God’s grace have kept them.For Fredericks’s wife, Indira Fredericks, she says she misses him every day that goes by, and more so, his son, who keeps asking for his father.Still overwhelmed with grief, Mrs. Fredericks declined to say anything much about losing her husband.His mother, Mrs. Norma Fredericks, however, was more eager to talk about her son. She, too, admits that she misses her son, and although one year has passed, it seems as if it was only yesterday. Yesterday, she recalled that last year Valentine’s Day was the last day she spoke to her son, as he had called to wish her happy Valentine’s.Also killed on February 17 was a young University of Guyana graduate, Abdool Yassin. While his family,Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Jersey, too, hadn’t much to say, they are preparing for a memorial service in his memory. The man’s mother, Mrs. Yassin, said the family has pulled through the ordeal,Cheap NFL Jerseys, but they still do miss having him around.“What hurts me the most is the fact that he was so young. I know death must come, but I never expected it so soon. His life was taken from him, and he didn’t even start living,” the dead man’s mother lamented.Ron Osbourne, a young police constable, also had his life snuffed out by heartless gunmen on February 17 last year.For his family, it’s only like yesterday he was with them, but the harsh reality can never change the fact that he is gone forever.His aunt, Minister within the Ministry of Education, Dr. Desrey Fox, this time of the year, is very emotional,Samaje Perine Oklahoma Jersey, and almost no family member has fully recovered from the incident.On February 17 last year, gunmen stormed the community known as “the gateway to the interior,” killing Lance Corporal 18632 Zaheer Zakir of Leonora Housing Scheme, Constable 16906 Shane Fredericks, 35,Harrison Barnes North Carolina Jersey, of Lot 241 Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, and Constable 19886 Ron Osborn, of 189 Robb Street.The other victims were taxi driver Dexter Adrian, 37, of 581 Constellation Street, Tucville, 72-year-old security guard employed at CB&R Mining Enterprise in First Avenue, Orvin Ferreira; Abdool Yassin Jr., of Good Hope, East Coast Demerara, boat Captain Deonarine Singh, 54, of Wakenaam, Errol Thomas of Tuschen, Ronald Gomes of Kuru Kururu, Soesdyke/Linden Highway, employees of Boodhoo’s General Store. Banks DIH security guard Edwin Gilkes, 42, of Bartica, Ashraf Alli Khan, 45 of Middlesex, Essequibo Coast, and another Banks DIH employee, Baldeo Singh, 54, of 153 Second Street Montrose, East Coast Demerara.Several other persons, including police constables Mark Campbell, 29, of One Mile, Linden and Chester Benjamin, 28, of Goed Fortuin Housing Scheme, were also injured in the 60-minute rampage.The others that were shot and injured are Raymond White, Godfrey Patanello, Brazilian national Jadarson Dos Santos, 14, Lisa Narine, 15, and Melrose Allicock of Bartica. Dos Santos was admitted to the Georgetown Public Hospital while the others were treated and sent away. According to initial reports, the mayhem began at around 22:00hours on Sunday night, when more than one dozen heavily armed gunmen attacked the community of Bartica.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-22 02:16 , Processed in 0.071148 second(s), 28 queries .