4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-26 08:52:24 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph Seeram,There are not going to be any snap elections, not for this year anyhow. The budget battle is over, at least for the Opposition.  They had their fun; it was their opportunity to show “we gat power” with their one seat majority in Parliament. The problem is other than their ego, the Opposition will be hard pressed to demonstrate to the Guyanese what they have really achieved by cutting $31B from the budget.I am curious to know what’s going to happen to that $31B. Obviously, the Finance Minister must have catered to receive that sum in revenues, grants or a combination of both. So what’s going to happen to those Billions of dollars? I did not hear the Opposition suggest an alternative use for the sums chopped from the budget. Will it sit in the treasury idle, not generating any economic activity?That $31B which represents approximately 15 per cent of the entire budget is a huge amount to deprive the Guyanese economy, quite a lot of jobs could have been generated from that sum of money. So my question again is what is going to happen to the money cut.Mind you, I am again assuming that Ashni Singh catered to receive that $31B in revenue. I assume that he did not cater to spend what he doesn’t have. I would have thought that the opposition would have tried to divert those sums to let the Guyanese taxpayer be a direct beneficiary of the saving, like reducing VAT on certain consumer items, increase services or something that can benefit the taxpayers directly.Now the door is open for the government to make the argument and tell the people of Linden their electricity can’t be subsidized because the Opposition has cut it out from the budget.Now I am recalling Speaker Trotman saying that the Opposition can only cut, they can’t add. Now what kind of nonsense is that? Trotman is a confused man, and he has only increased the confusion further over who has power over the budget.Really speaking, it is confusion all over the place over this budget. The Opposition say they have the power to add or reduce the budget, Trotman said they can only cut, the Government says Opposition can’t cut anything because the Government has the right to present its budget. Anil ran to the court; the court said the Opposition can only cut entire budget or approve it as a whole; Trotman says that the court has no jurisdiction over what happens in parliament, and the circus continues.With so many lawyers in both the government and Opposition side you would think they would get it straight, at least for the sake of the Guyanese taxpayer, who is now more confused. DeHammer Benn is also confused on why they chopped $5B from his allocation. Now here is a man accustomed to “hammer he way”, whether the receivers are road side squatters or the Government radio station, however he did not cater for Granger chainsaw. He is still in shock, just like the squatters.I am no constitutional lawyer, but any man in the street will tell you that if two people can’t decide what’s right you have to go to somebody to decide. Trotman is in denial if he thinks he doesn’t have a constitutional crisis. Anything that pertains to the constitution the courts have jurisdiction, the courts have already ruled at least preliminary that the Opposition can’t cut parts of the budget. So where do we go from here?The PPP Government will, like they did last year, ignore the cuts and still go on spending the money based on the court’s ruling and there is little the Opposition can do.I am just reading that the Government has agreed to a tripartite committee to study next year’s budget. President Donald Ramotar should be complimented on this move; that’s how it should be. After all, if you are asking the Opposition to approve spending taxpayers’ money, then they should be involved, even though I agree with the government that it is their right to craft the budget.Moving to a different subject I noticed the death this week of an old friend and seasoned journalist, Neville Annibourne. I will always remember Neville, because it was through Annibourne that I entered the field of journalism. It was in 1971; Guyana had three leading newspapers– the Evening Post & Sunday Argosy, the Guyana Chronicle and the Guyana Graphic. I had the distinction of working for all three but that’s a story for another day.Neville was the Berbice correspondent for the Evening Post & Sunday Argosy. He was being transferred to Georgetown. We interviewed over “drinks” and my journalism career started as his replacement. Some background on him has been given in the press, and how he survived the Jonestown massacre, but Guyanese need to know that Neville Annibourne was a freedom fighter in the early days when Guyana was fighting to free itself from colonialism. And for whatever it is worth,cheap jerseys nfl wholesale, he was one of the few prominent Afro Guyanese in the old days of the PPP.As you are reading this, I am in Guyana enjoying some fresh fry fish and labba and mosquito. This evening I will be attending the wedding of Damion and the beautiful Kavita, to them I wish the very best in their future bliss together.Ralph Seeram can be reached at Email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 09:31 , Processed in 0.070183 second(s), 28 queries .