10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-27 12:20:01 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– Writer Barrington Braithwaite weaves a compelling tale about the Caribbean’s most enduring character By Michael Jordan Crammed in the filthy holds of slave ships, the captured and terrified Africans need all the spiritual strength they could summon to survive the journey to the New World. They find that strength from a witty spider-god who remains with them,Cheap Jerseys Store, and the many generations that follow, and who they eventually come to know as Brer Anancy…Writer and illustrator Barrington Braithwaite in his studioThat’s the compelling story that artist and writer Barrington Braithwaite has woven about the Caribbean and South America’s most enduring character, Brer Anancy. He’s done so in his new graphic novel (no longer called ‘comic books’) “The Adventures of Brer Anancy: Voyage to the New World.”Colourful,Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping, beautifully illustrated and printed locally, “The Adventures of Brer Anancy,” written in two parts, tells the story of how Kwaku Anancy, son of the Ashanti Sky God Lord Nyamie, is selected, (quite against his will) to board a slave ship and guide the hapless captives during and after their arduous journey.While the stories West Indian children grew up with depict ‘Brer Anancy’ as a lazy, greedy, cunning spider who has no qualms about using his wits against his own family (who can forget the story in which Anancy schemes against his wife and children to get the largest share of plantains?), Braithwaite is at pains to explain that the Anancy, who originated from the Ashanti tribes of Ghana, West Africa, is much more than this shallow characterization.“We have inherited a perception of Anancy that places him in a certain category asThe cover of Braithwaite’s latest productiona trickster god,” he says.Anancy, in fact, is actually the offspring of the Ashanti sky god, Lord Nyamie. He never seeks to usurp the higher gods, but outwits those who seek to match wits with him.A meticulous researcher, Braithwaite became intrigued some 20 years ago with this ‘spider trickster,’ while working on one of his books.Who was Anancy? He wondered. Where did he come from? What was his back-story and why did he seem to be embraced by cultures from Suriname to Panama to parts of America?“Other than being the proverbial ‘smart man’, Anancy is now a part of our national heritage. Politicians refer to ‘Nancy story’ in reference to political arguments. I have had meetings with people from Panama…from Suriname, and everybody seems to own Anancy.“I drafted my first book on Anancy in 1988. I decided to find out about Anancy. It took me a lot of years and a lot of money to do this.”Without the existence of the Internet back then, this research entailed the purchasing of numerous books on African architecture, folklore and geography.“I have had to buy books on Ashanti architecture,NFL Jerseys Outlet, books on Ashanti civilization,Cheap NFL Jerseys, on West African folklore, since Anancy is West African. You have to read…buy, read…buy,Cheap Authentic Jerseys, before you put the first page down.”Braithwaite also said he had to recognise that the Ashanti have a pantheon of gods.“There is a father god and there is a mother, and Anancy is one of the offspring.“But how did Anancy get here? In the context of how I write, Anancy had won the stories from his father,Wholesale Jerseys USA, the sky god, Lord Nyamie, and it is in that context that he was sent onto the (slave) ship.” Braithwaite revealed that Anancy will also have to match wits with the crew of the slave ship.The artist describes Anancy as “the first ‘Spiderman’ of the comic book world.” Indeed, an edition of the popular, American-based Marvel Comics depicts ‘Kwaku Anansi’ as the original Spiderman.“But I don’t think anyone has done what I have done (with the characterization of Anancy). It took me two years to get the copyright certificate from the American Library of Congress,Cheap Jerseys, for the concept of Anancy that I fashioned.”“I can’t place a cost on this book in the Guyana context based on what I have put into it. We (artists) don’t get grants in this country. We have to finance everything. We are the only sector that doesn’t receive any monetary assistance from the state.”He pointed out that, except for GT&T,wholeslae cheap nfl jerseys china, most of the financial support, in terms of advertisements in his publication, came from slammer players in the business community. In fact, he said that the manager at one entity declared that “people don’t read anymore.”Braithwaite is the illustrator behind other graphic novels as The Silk Cotton Tree (which was also a play that was staged at Carifesta), The Shrouded Legacy, and the immensely popular Jaguar series, which was also made into an award-winning play, staged by the late Norman Beaton.Barrington estimates that the second edition of “The Adventures of Brer Anancy: Voyage to the New World,” will be out in five months. At present, copies of his first edition are available at Austin’s Book Store, Universal Book Store, and Nigel’s Supermarket.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 07:19 , Processed in 0.062285 second(s), 26 queries .