10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-29 09:02:43 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Corbin laments casual approachby Civil Defence CommissionThis resident navigates her way through flood waters to her home. With evacuation imminent in some East Coast Demerara villages, like Victoria, Opposition Leader Robert Corbin has said that he is very upset that the Civil Defence Commission is not in a position to immediately deal with the situation.Speaking to this newspaper yesterday during a visit to the flood-affected village of Victoria,Authentic NFL Jerseys Wholesale, Corbin said that since he raised the issue in the National Assembly on December 22 last, as a matter of national interest, he was accused of being an alarmist.According to Corbin, since then, Cabinet Secretary Dr Roger Luncheon has indicated that the situation was being monitored, and that the authorities would move when necessary.But, according to Corbin, the situation has worsened and there appears to be some neglect.“I said, ‘Look, you need to set up the thing immediately. Get the CDC,NFL Jerseys Outlet, send in water. I have been at the back of Bare Root, Paradise. All those places I’ve been, and it was like this before Christmas,’ “Several East Coast Demerara villages have been under flood waters since the beginning of December, and the authorities are only now putting things in place to remedy the situation.He said that he spoke to Agriculture Minister Robert Persaud yesterday morning, and it was confirmed that emergency supplies would have been sent in early yesterday morning.But up to about midday yesterday, there was no sign of relief.It is estimated that there are about 500 households, with around 3000 persons who may have to be temporarily relocated.Already, persons are capitalizing on the situation, as youths have resorted to charging a fee to take persons to their homes in their boat.Regional Chairman Clement Corlette had visited Victoria on Tuesday night, and had expressed alarm that the water was constantly rising in the village.“The CDC persons say that at that stage last night (Tuesday) they had nothing in the bond. In other words, they couldn’t supply food for even five people. The Civil Defence Commission should have been ready,NFL Jerseys Supply,” the Opposition Leader lamented.According to Corbin, CDC officials had indicated that they would have to speak with the Head of the Presidential Secretariat, Dr. Roger Luncheon, to see what supplies they could get.“Now, tell me if that is responsible government. At this stage you should not have to be talking to Luncheon to get money to purchase things. The Civil Defence Commission should have these things stocked up, so that when you call, a vehicle is supposed to be on its way to bring relief to the people. If something happens and they need more boats, will they now go and look for boats?” Corbin asked.According to the PNCR Leader, some persons have already vacated their homes.“There is a woman and her daughter who had to be rescued, and there are a number of people at the back here who would like to get (to) the shelter of the school. Now they (authorities) should have been in a position to set it up already.“But if they have to go to Mr. Luncheon now for money to get food,Cheap NFL Jerseys Supply, one wonders even if they have mattresses and these things there,” the Opposition Leader pointed out.Regional Chairman Clement Corlette explained that, when he spoke to an official of the CDC on Tuesday night, he was told that an evaluation was being done.He said that he requested assistance in the form of food and shelter for the people who may have to be relocated. He said that he also sought veterinary services.According to Corlette, the official indicated that there was no supply, and to get them he had to go through a long list of persons, including Dr. Luncheon.“It sounded annoying to me; and to me, the measures were too half-hearted and halfway.”Corlette said that he, too,Jerseys NFL Wholesale China, had written to Prime Minister Samuel Hinds,Jerseys NFL Wholesale China Online, chronicling all the flood-affected areas and the consequences that are likely to manifest.But he said that he has had no response to reflect what he is expecting to happen.“To me, this situation is being dealt with casually, and so we are now in a crisis,” the Regional Chairman said.According to the PNCR officials, there are 22 reported breaches of the crown dam, and this has compounded the situation.The situation is not unique to Victoria,NFL Jerseys Outlet From China, since several other villages, including Mahaica, Golden Grove, Haslington and Paradise, have been under water since the beginning of December.“That is why I raised the matter as an urgent public business for there to be some national response, and they are still treating it as if it is a joke. People’s livelihood is affected,” said PNCR Leader Corbin.He said that while he is not an engineer, what is being done so far to deal with the problem is inadequate.He said that,Authentic NFL Jerseys Wholesale China, apart from that, measures that will alleviate the suffering of the people are needed.Several residents have claimed significant losses, and there are moves to negotiate compensation.It is expected that the persons who are to be evacuated will be housed in the Victoria Government School; and with classes for the new year set to recommence on Monday, the situation is clearly unattractive.Yesterday, several residents were seen transporting building materials in boats to the backlands in an effort to seal some of the breaches in the crown dam.Noel Pilgrim, a cash crop farmer, said that while the Government is encouraging people to increase food production, it is doing nothing to facilitate the initiative.“De Government tell we grow more food, and the food wha we growing deh under water, and nobody ain’t care,” Pilgrim said. Mabel Marks, who is on vacation from Curacao, is distraught that she has been confined to the flooded community.“My vacation was all sour,” she said.Reggie Cyrus, another resident, said that every time the rains come, the first place to flood is Victoria, and it is also the last place to drain.“Every time you hear about the flood, Victoria is being forgotten…For over one month, this water on this land,” he said.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 14:19 , Processed in 0.073858 second(s), 28 queries .