10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-4 02:42:40 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– Claims due process not followed Leila King, the former Consul General for Guyana in Boa Vista, says she now feels “ashamed” being a Guyanese after the treatment she received at the hands of the Foreign Ministry.Minister of Foreign Affairs Carolyn Rodrigues–Birkett on Monday said King was dismissed after she failed to pay workers a 15% increase that was approved by government for staff of overseas missions.Fired: Consul General Leila KingMs King denies any wrongdoing, but admits her interest in running the Consulate efficiently breached financial protocols.“I received a letter in 2013 from one of the staff members that heard about this increase, but on checking, none of them received it. There was no explanation as to why the staff wasn’t even informed,” Rodrigues-Birkett said. This, and a series of wrongdoing on Ms King’s part, led to her being fired,Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Martin Maldonado Jersey, the Minister told reporters at her Takuba Lodge, Georgetown office.However, King has said if the Ministry had allowed her the right to defend the allegations leveled against her,Wilson Ramos Jersey, the matters could have been ironed out, as she acted out of ignorance of the systems in the diplomatic machinery. She said her non-payment of the salary increase had to do with the Ministry’s own lackadaisical attitude in not honouring financial obligations of the Consulate in a timely manner.She said that salaries for the beginning of 2013 were late, and she used the money sent as the 15% increase in salaries to cover salary obligations along with a staff bonus. She had hoped the finances could then be ironed out when there was a new disbursement to the Consulate to pay salaries. However, that never came.When the non-payment of the 15% increase was cited by a staff member, King was ordered to the Minister’s office.“The Minister told me the Ministry sent money for this and that and she wanted to know what happened to the money,” King said in an interview. She was sent on leave pending an audit, which resulted in her being dismissed.However, King claims that due process was not followed and she was not given a hearing during the audit process. She said she had no experience in public service and had asked for someone to train her and the Consulate staff.“I had no idea how the service works.”Foreign Affairs Minister Carolyn Rodrigues–BirkettShe said a Ministry official visited to conduct training, but had no modules or anything to work with,Sean Rodriguez Jersey, so that visit was useless.And so,Drew Hutchison Jersey, King said she operated as she usually would when conducting her business affairs.“The private sector never lets things stop, it’s always working, and that’s the attitude I had.”And so in the absence of strict guidelines under which she was expected to operate, King admits she breached financial regulations.“I only knew after the fact that it was the wrong thing I was doing,” King said.For example,Matt Belisle Jersey, sometimes when she would receive money to go on a trip, she would use whatever money is left back to buy something for the consulate. At times, when she would not make the trips, instead of sending the money back,Matt Joyce Jersey, she used it to buy other materials for the Consulate.She cited one example.“This money had to go back to them, but I took the money and bought a sofa because they never sent me capital and it was a shame to go into the Consulate to see there is nothing.“They wanted me to send back that money, but I took that money, and used it as a capital.”King feels that her efforts and sacrifices for Guyana went down the drain. She wished she had been given a hearing to clarify matters.“I spent one month of my holiday at home waiting on a phone call to defend myself, to clarify anything they wanted to know, and nothing like that happened.“For each story there are two sides; so you have to listen to one side and listen to the other side, but I didn’t get the opportunity to defend myself.“It made me feel something like you are being used and thrown away. And I am a Guyanese; I was there working for my country,Bud Norris Jersey, and nobody gave me the value. They didn’t respect me.”King, who escaped with her family to Boa Vista following the Rupununi Uprising of 1969,Jhoulys Chacin Jersey, later spent many years promoting trade and tourism between Guyana and Brazil. She was appointed to the Guyana Consulate in Boa Vista in August 2011.In the two years she ran the Consulate, King said it was always a struggle managing the office without resources and any clear directions.She said that payments to the Consulate almost always came in short,Detroit Tigers Alex Avila Jersey, with insurance coverage coming up short and she had to find ways of paying it in full.She showed Kaieteur News documents to prove this; other documents showed that sometimes her requests for gas money would be ignored, with several months’ payments showing zero for gas.King said she always worked in the best interest of Guyana and Guyanese. Several times when Guyanese would be abandoned at hospitals in Brazil, she would take them to her home and take care of them, and then pay their transportation back to Lethem.“The hospital would say to me, ‘They are your people,’ and I would have to take care of them; I can’t leave them on the streets.”King’s time at the Consulate saw partnerships with the Brazil government in various departments. She has received recognition for ensuring the Customs and Immigration Department in Boa Vista would be opened at convenient times.Her posting at the Consulate meant her housing arrangements would be taken care of; but instead of renting a furnished apartment, King remained at her own home. She said that apart from her water, electricity and internet bills being paid, a request for funds to paint her house was denied.“At this moment I feel so ashamed to be a Guyanese. There is no respect, there is no consideration, they wouldn’t treat you like a human.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 20:34 , Processed in 0.074356 second(s), 26 queries .