10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-7 05:07:20 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
…aiming to establish own NGORoxanne Dey (left) and her sister Ellen Le-A-Ping (centre) hand over the items to an official of the Red Cross Children’s Convalescent HomeWith a passion for helping others – both in the United States and  Guyana – two sisters are undertaking the monumental task of starting their own non-governmental organisation (NGO).Although the new NGO, “Josiah’s Helping Hands, Healing Hearts” is yet to be opened, the sisters, Ellen Le-A-Ping and Roxanne Dey, have already begun helping the less fortunate.Just last week, the sisters made a donation to the Red Cross Children’s Convalescent Home in Durban Backlands.Speaking with this newspaper, the sisters explained that the NGO was conceptualised after years of helping others.According to Ellen, her mother had similarly believed in philanthropy. She recalled that each year her mother would get together as many supplies as possible and donate to the less fortunate. Since her mother’s death 14 years ago, Ellen said that she has tried to maintain this tradition. Though it has been on and off,Keith Appling Michigan State Jersey, she shared her intention of helping out others every year now. Ellen now resides in New York where she has been running her own licensed Day Care business for about 20 years now.Her sister,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, Roxanne, similarly spent years dealing in philanthropy. Not only is she a part of the Guyana Red Cross Society as a first aider but she also holds certificates in Childcare and Care for the Elderly.Roxanne lives in Guyana and explained that she would often visit Ellen in America.“My sister and I would sit and talk about coming up with this organisation and helping the needy, especially the children. We want to motivate them,Jarrett Lee LSU Jersey, to give them better lives in terms of feeding them healthy and giving them clothes on their backs. We’re also looking at giving back to single parents and battered women. We’ve also been into the interior and we’ve spoken with indigenous people there to see how we can work with them,” Roxanne said.“We would really like to put families back together,Kansas Jayhawks Jerseys,” Ellen added. “There are a lot of broken homes and single parents. It’s happening in the States and we’re seeing it happen in Guyana too. So,Tim Hardaway Jr. Michigan Jersey, if we can help in any way to give back, then we would. We would also really like to send kids to school and pay for their education.”Explaining the name of the NGO, Ellen said that the body will set out to use helping hands to not only rebuild lives but heal hearts.“And it’s not only the hearts of children but the hearts of parents,” she added.Passion for othersWhen asked on just what drives them to extend helping hands to those who need it, the sisters said that they have a passion for people, especially children.“It was a drive since from so many years and we decided that since she’s (Ellen) coming to Guyana,Reggie Wayne Miami Jersey, we’ll sit down and make a package,” Roxanne said about the recent donation.Ellen also indicated that helping out the less fortunate was especially important to her since she, at one time in her life,Glenn Robinson III Michigan Jersey, had been homeless.She explained that when she had first arrived in the U.S, things were tough with her family. She found herself living on the streets, a situation she had never expected.“I know what it’s like not being able to care for yourself or have something to eat or even bathe,” she said. She continued, “So, it’s hard for me to see someone homeless, especially the kids because they can’t help themselves.” Ellen has volunteered at homeless shelters,Sean Taylor Miami Jersey, conducted feeding programmes and even helped out survivors of 2012’s Hurricane Sandy.She admitted that she had given so much over the years that some of her relatives believe that she “gives too much”.However, she said, she does not believe that she has done enough and decided to expand beyond the U.S,Odell Beckham LSU Jersey, with the help of her sister.“It’s something that I want to do everywhere,” she said. “I do charity work at home in the States and it’s just something we’re looking to broaden,” she added.The mother of eight – five of her own and three stepchildren – continued, “Since I have a Day Care, I have a passion for kids. There are so many homeless kids – not only in the States but here as well – and for some reason the parents have to give up their kids. For some, it’s just hard to maintain children without getting help from outside. So while I’ve given to people in the States, now I want to give back something to my country.”She added that she could not judge parents who leave their children as orphans since the unpredictability of life can prove difficult for many.Ellen further expressed hope that other regular citizens would take up the responsibility to help others. She explained that she recently visited Lethem and was surprised by how many adults cannot read or write.“I want others to follow suit with what we are doing, especially the overseas-based Guyanese,” Ellen said. She opined that people should extend helping hands in any way possible, whether it’s from establishing a reading club or donating items to the needy.“We in the States can come back and simply lend a helping hand,” Ellen stressed.Meanwhile, the donation to the Convalescent Home saw Ellen and Roxanne delivering a number of items, ranging from pampers and other sanitary items to books. The sisters indicated that while some of the items had been donated by parents of the pupils in Ellen’s Day Care, most of the items had been bought by the two women. Members of the home expressed gratitude for the women’s donation.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 23:17 , Processed in 0.054320 second(s), 26 queries .