10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-8 00:58:37 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“It was a pleasure serving all the Executive Presidents of Guyana and I would do it again without hesitation.”By Mondale SmithBeing a servant and/or cleaner might not seem like much to many, and some may even scoff at the idea of being one or the other, but petite 72-year-old mother of two, Loretta Leonie Lindee, has another take on such an issue, and understandably so.Loretta Leonie LindeeMs. Lindee has served in the Office of the President for almost 25 years in the confidential section as a cleaner, under the title of Cabinet Attendant, and now that she’s retiring, the dutiful septuagenarian is doing so with mixed emotions, but no regrets.While some might have bigger and better offices,cheap jerseys nfl wholesale, this ever-smiling and most polite little lady from her humble position has had the unique distinction of serving and catering to all six of Guyana’s Executive Presidents, in addition to innumerable ambassadors and dignitaries.During a two-and-a-half-decade tenure, duty called almost daily at about 06:30hrs which saw her, amongst others, ensuring that the surroundings of the confidential section of the Office of the President were satisfactorily clean. She also assisted with preparing and serving coffee, tea and other beverages, as well as sandwiches, and despite this, along with other demands,jerseys nfl wholesale, managed to raise two sons single-handedly: one is a graduate of Harvard University and serves as a scientist with Iwokrama, while the other, with whom she resides, is a professional artist/sculptor.Ms. Lindee will be off the job in September after enjoying pre-retirement leave, at the request of her eldest son, and while she does not know how her days will be spent, the staffers around the office are already missing her.She had retired before but was kept on according to some because of her mannerisms, virtues and unquestionable commitment to the job.Sharing her experiences she said “I came, met and served Mr. Forbes Burnham, then Mr. Desmond Hoyte who was a gentle soul.”She also served Presidents Cheddi Jagan, Samuel Hinds, Janet Jagan and current president Bharrat Jagdeo and had kind words and memorable experiences with all, but of the distinguished individuals who have held the highest office of the land she admits that,wholesale jerseys china, “Politics aside Cheddi (Jagan) was my President of all Presidents.”Reflecting, she said of all the Presidents he, (Dr. Cheddi Jagan) was never really too proud and seemingly unapproachable,wholeslae cheap nfl jerseys china, “I remember the times when he would come to the kitchenette door and rap before entering and then he would ask us, the cleaners and servers, if we were alright. He was genuine in his attitude and made us even more proud to be servants.”On occasions where the masses were kept at bay by barricades and had to get special invitations, Ms. Lindee enjoyed privileges many could only dream of. “I am privileged to have met the Queen of England and Prince Charles, as well as countless dignitaries, as a cleaner.” She spoke fondly of serving most of the diplomats during swearing-in sessions and with an air of immense gratification stated that “It was a pleasure serving all the Executive Presidents of Guyana and I would do it again without hesitation.”She added,cheap nfl jerseys, “It was demanding at times. We had to come to work for 06:30 hrs and would leave after the President left which was most often late in the afternoons. But I don’t regret it. The experience has been thoroughly satisfying”GIRLHOOD DAYSThe former Stadt Danzig village, Berbice River resident was educated at St Patrick’s Lutheran School. She then became a teacher at the Grace Lutheran School for four years. “I went to school but also had to help my parents on their farm. Then my mum died and I decided to move to the capital city in search of work and landed a job at the shoe store at the corner of Queen and Bentick Streets.”After 14 years of service she landed the job at the Office of the President on September 20, 1984, but close to a year later the then President, Forbes Burnham,cheap nfl jerseys online, passed away on August 6, 1985.Remembering the People’s National Congress Founder/Leader she said “we (other servants included) had great days that took us out of the office kitchen to his home at Belfield (on the East Coast of Demerara) to assist in harvesting vegetables and fruits from the farm, and when he died, I was very sad. He was a man of substance indeed.”In 1985, when the Presidential baton was passed to Hugh Desmond Hoyte, Ms. Lindee was quite happy to remain on staff, and continued to serve until the People’s Progressive Party/Civic won elections over PNC in 1992. It was her early experiences that most impressed upon her. “I’m no politician, but Cheddi (Jagan) to this day remains my President and friend, even in death,cheap nfl jerseys china, because he walked with Kings but did not lose the common touch…he came to the kitchen sometimes and was clearly genuine and sincere about our well-being.”She related that working with Dr. Jagan was a joy. His passing, she recalled,wholesale jerseys, was by no means easy for those that had the privilege of working so close to him. She was stunned beyond belief. “I walked around his casket countless times in disbelief… thinking that such a good man had died so suddenly. I went all the way to Berbice to see him off. It was the least I could have done for someone who had been so nice and respectful to me. Guyana had lost another great man,” she recalled.She described Samuel Hinds during his tenure as president as “a bit more reserved like Mr. Hoyte but of a nice personality.” Of her experiences serving the late Mrs. Janet Jagan as Head of State, she opined that Guyana’s only female leader was also a kind and thoughtful individual but not to the level of her husband.In concluding, Ms. Lindee stated proudly that though servants are often overlooked and thought of as nothing by some, she is happy to have served six of Guyana’s seven presidents.She is an unsung hero in her own right whose stellar contributions were behind the scenes, and although she has witnessed many interesting events and heard quite a lot in her years of employ, she respectfully holds dear to the adage, “when you come here what you see, hear and do here, when you leave here let it stay here.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 01:21 , Processed in 0.045822 second(s), 26 queries .