10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-8 18:28:50 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“No retreat! No surrender!”- DemonstratorsThere was an outpouring of support for the third consecutive day as demonstrators from all walksthird day protestof life gathered in front of the Ministry of Legal Affairs, in defiance of the killers of political activist, Courtney Crum-Ewing.With their placards raised and chanting “No retreat! No surrender!” the demonstrators all expressed the regret that Courtney had stood alone outside the Attorney General’s Chambers for so long, fighting against injustice and lawlessness.They however declared that not only was Crum-Ewing’s memory  immortalized as a freedom fighter, but that they were all willing to go the distance to ensure that the fallen activist received justice.Crum-Ewing, 40,Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Bud Norris Jersey, was gunned down last Tuesday night at Third Avenue, Diamond Housing Scheme,Sean Rodriguez Jersey, East Bank Demerara (EBD) while reportedly urging residents, by way of bullhorn,Josh Reddick Jersey, to vote against the ruling party in the upcoming General and Regional Elections on May 11.Crum-Ewing first started protesting and attracting media attention last year after an explosive phone conversation between a senior Kaieteur News reporter and Attorney General (AG), Anil Nandlall, surfaced.The phone call, in which Nandlall warned the reporter to get out of Kaieteur News because of a possible attack, prompted Crum-Ewing to start several days of protest in front of the AG’s Carmichael Street office.Crum-Ewing had said that his protests were because Nandlall’s actions as the Chief Legal Officer were shameful.On the front lines of the protest yesterday was social activist Freddie Kissoon, who hailed Courtney as someone who joined a long list of freedom fighters and heroes who were killed.“We all are free today because the people who were beheaded after the 1823 slave rebellion, just yards from here (Parade Ground), coming up to Walter Rodney, coming up to Courtney Crum- Ewing… we have been able to use that memory as a university of history and learning to keep the fire burning. If there weren’t the slave rebellions, Walter Rodney or Ronald Waddell, we would have been struggling in a vacuum but what we have done; we have taken the spirit and the bodies of these people to educate the next generations and to galvanize the present one.”He also made the point that Crum-Ewing was slain while using his bullhorn. He stated that the assassination was intended to send a message that the gun was mightier than the voice, but noted that the amount of demonstrators on the street was proof that this is not so “After a time you have to say enough is enough. No one wants to be a hero. I have a family. But you can’t look over your shoulder every day. You just have to do what you have to do. I will stand my ground but I am not going to do their work for them. I am not going to be in a lonely corner at two in the morning smoking a cigarette.” The activist said, when asked if he was fearful for his life.Also present was Kaieteur News publisher Glenn Lall. The businessman made it clear that he was not only fighting for justice for Crum-Ewing,Oakland Athletics Alejandro De Aza Jersey, but will continue to fight for justice for all who have suffered discrimination. He also made it clear that regardless of the Party in office,Cincinnati Reds Desmond Jennings Jersey, he would always fight against lawlessness, dishonesty and lack of transparency.“Courtney Crum Ewing stood for democracy,Gordon Beckham Jersey, accountability, free speech and transparency. He was fighting an administration that we are not seeing that from. All he wanted was a better Guyana. Everyone should protest, to have justice.”“I see this killing as a message. And I want to make it clear. No amount of bullets will move not only me, but many righteous Guyanese.”Alliance for Change (AFC) Executive member Cathy Hughes also condemned the killing, as well as the taped conversation that was the first cause of Crum-Ewing’s demonstrations, stating that the comments made on the tape was gross disrespect to women. She also encouraged more people to come out and stand up for what was right.“Whoever perpetuated this crime wants to frighten us. It’s for Guyanese to feel they have to go into their houses and cower. And I say to the people of Guyana, for too long most people have sat down and done nothing.  “One protestor stated that he would often pass Crum-Ewing on the road with his flag and would greet him. While he expressed regret that he did not stand with Courtney in his lifetime, he said it would be an even greater indictment on society if people did not stand up for him now. He stated that while social media has been overwhelmed with condemnations of the killing,Luis Sardinas Jersey, what is even more important is people coming out to join the cause.“Courtney was shot in the back of his head… cowardly. This whole country needs to be taken back from the evil that has come over it. I came out here with my flag as a symbol of this country. It is a tribute to him, to keep the flag flying.”A mother of five stated that she was heartbroken at the cold blooded way in which Crum-Ewing was murdered. According to her,St. Louis Cardinals Brett Cecil Jersey, she was on the streets to be in solidarity with him.“He was out here all by himself. I did not know the exact place at the time, or I would have come along with him some way or another. But I saw it in the papers. One man is gone, but more will rise.”Other protestors described the killing as a gross disrespect to all Guyanese, stating that everyone had a right to their own opinion.“As a father of children, I am out here, because yesterday (Tuesday) it was Crum-Ewing, today it could be me, tomorrow it could be you. And all voices,Philadelphia Phillies Howie Kendrick Jersey, regardless of political affiliation, need to be heard!” Another protestor said.The funeral for Courtney Crum-Ewing is scheduled for Wednesday, March 18. The body will be at his residence, 189 Golden Grove, East Bank Demerara for viewing from 10:00-11:00hrs and from 12:00 to 14:00 at the Parade Ground. Service will be held at Heavenly Light Full Gospel Church at Cooper Street, Albouystown at 2:30. The body will then be taken to Le Repentir cemetery for burial.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 19:47 , Processed in 0.067303 second(s), 26 queries .