10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-10 10:25:40 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leon Suseran in the Dominican RepublicSpending almost 24 hours traveling from airport to airport on a series of connecting flights seemed worth the hassle after all, since my arrival here in the Dominican Republic (DR) has been nothing short of pure joy.I must say that Guyanese have a real disadvantage when it comes to traveling to these places, since the air carriers do not fly directly here.This flame in one of Santo Domingo's military museum has been lighting for over 150 years, since DR gained its independence from Haiti in February, 1844. Military guards watch it round the clock to ensure it never extinguishes.I ended up at Panama City after which I boarded a Copa Airlines flight to Santo Domingo Airport. Perhaps it would be a good thing to allow Copa to fly to Guyana and nearby routes, since I saw this suggestion a few days ago in the letter columns.The price to get here was just as outrageous as the hop from airport to airport; all the more reason for Copa to come into the picture.Our travel markets are too restricted-just to Trinidad, New York and Miami. There has to be another way to get Caribbean people to these islands, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc through non- stop flights or even flights with just one stop, instead of several stops, deplaning, waiting at airports- it is really fatiguing.But I did see other world airports, and they (the other airports: Piarco, Panama, etc) made ours back at home look like a ‘joke’. I hope our dear President is reading.Upon arriving at Santo Domingo Airport, I had to take a three-hour ride to a resort at Punta Cana, one of the hotspots of tourism in these parts of the world.I could have cut my travel time significantly if I had a flight from Panama directly to Punta Cana International.So much for the travel humbugs. What I did not know (because I probably did not take the time to research prior to my trip) was that I would be entering a country with all things Spanish: culture, music, food, buildings and architecture– everything Spanish. I thought to myself, “I am not in the Caribbean anymore”.Perhaps I was not,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, but technically I was, since Dominican Republic (DR) was washed by the Caribbean Sea.I was overwhelmed to have learnt that this was a country that had really been built on the ideals of Spain and her occupants.Canefields and a railroad track on the DR's countryside.The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. The first city of the New World, Santo Domingo, is the capital and the third largest city of DR. Spanish colonizer, Christopher Columbus, on his first voyage in 1492 discovered Hispaniola in December of that year; he thought he had found India after sailing a couple of months in the ocean.He settled here and established the Spanish bases. This place became a colony of Spanish powers, Isabella and Ferdinand, King and Queen of Spain.DR gained its independence from Spain in 1821 and Haiti in 1844, then from Spain again in 1865.  The First Cathedral of the New World, built in the 1500s, still exists to this day in Santo Domingo.Several places, including castles that existed during Columbus’s time, like Alcazar de Colon, the one where his son, Diego Columbus lived,Nike NFL Jerseys China, still exist today.And I visited this historical fact and saw the beds, spiral stairways, large water and wine jars, guest rooms, chapel where the priests said Mass, and the kitchen and ladies dining room; it was too much to take in at once.It was a travel back in time of history. History class with Guyanese historian, Cecilia Mc Almont at UGBC came rushing back.This place is extraordinary. Everyone speaks Spanish; and the country is fairly well developed, or getting there.Next year, they hold their election, which is held every four years. Things seem to be moving apace here. DR just commissioned its first ever 45 KM subway project, now in its testing stages. If it is successful, a longer project would be carried out. This would significantly ease the travel woes and burden on the Dominicans. Over 3.5 million people live in Santo Domingo alone.Sugarcane is big on this island,NFL Jerseys Cheap, a stark reminder of the days of slavery. I learnt that Dominicans refuse to harvest cane, even though the large expanses of canefields are owned and operated by private individuals and not the government. Cutting cane would only remind them of slavery, according to a tour guide.According to residents here, Haitians running away across the border come and work to harvest the cane here in DR.A tiny stream separates Haiti from DR, and on many occasions,Cheap NFL Jerseys, illegal immigrants from the other side escape over to DR to find work. They earn just US$3 on the canefields per 100 ton of cane.In about two years time, DR would be producing enough sugar cane to transform into ethanol which would significantly reduce the island’s dependence on fossil fuels, 78 per cent of which is used to power up electric turbines for electricity.The presidential palace in Santo Domingo is arguably the third most beautiful in the world, after the ones in Russia and Rio de Janeiro.I passed by and saw a large group of civil workers gathered in front, striking for higher wages.I was told that the President of DR would exit his palace from the back gate that day, just to elude the protestors.Beef is one of the main exports here, followed by textiles.They export their beef to Canada, who pays them in Dominican Pesos.Passing by the countryside, you will see numerous herds of cattle grazing in the fields.Tourism earns top dollars here in DR.Even though the majority of tourism is concentrated in Punta Cana, it once flourished in a city called, Boca Chica.However,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, due to a high rise in drug crimes and prostitution a few years ago, tourism took a plunge in that city.It had an impact on the economy here and a lot of people, employed with the hotels and such, lost their jobs because as a result.Things in Boca Chica are stable for now,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, but it will take a while before tourists are confident enough to visit again.Punta Cana is full of tourist resorts and spas. Located near each other, the resorts line the coastline of the once thriving tourist destination, which is located on the most eastern side of the island.Tourism is so alive in DR. It is a growing and booming industry for Dominicans. The blue water and white sandy beaches make our Number 63 Beach look like nothing, really.So developed and maintained, these beaches here are unlike any in the world. Tourists from all over the world come here at least once per year to unwind, relax and recharge their batteries before going back to reality home.It is something we Guyanese should take into consideration. These people who visit here,NFL Jerseys China, work their lives away every month of the year, but take at least a week or two to get away from it all just to do nothing other than to relax on the beach whether it is taking a tan, skinny dipping in the pool and sipping drinks in the lush Caribbean sun.There are four other resorts within the grounds, where I am staying,Jerseys NFL Cheap, all owned by the same company. The one I am actually staying in was built four years ago, after several acres of bushes and grasslands were cleared to give way to a world class five-star hotel resort for foreigners. The place is mountainous here, so it would be the same as if the entire Linden- Lethem area was cleared of the bushes and a proper road network set up to build facilities such as these. The Dominicans have left no land to waste. I wonder when we Guyanese would begin to play catch- up, if at all.All in all, a very exciting trip to the middle of the Caribbean on a very unique island with a rich Spanish history. I call it the Spanish in the Caribbean.Adios, muchachos.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 22:06 , Processed in 0.071003 second(s), 26 queries .