10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-15 23:35:52 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) – Former New York City police Commissioner Bernard Kerik,Jerseys NFL Cheap, who was hailed as a hero after the September 11 terror attacks and nearly became chief of Homeland Security, was sentenced yesterday to four years in federal prison.District Judge Stephen Robinson went well beyond federal sentencing guidelines, which suggested 27 to 33 months. He said the guidelines do not take into account “the almost operatic proportions of this case.”The judge said that after 9/11, Kerik “in many ways acted in the highest tradition of a public servant.” But then,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, he added,NFL Jerseys China, “The fact that Mr. Kerik would use that event for personal gain and aggrandizement is a dark place in the soul for me.”He said some of the crimes were committed while Kerik was “the chief law enforcement officer for the biggest and grandest city this nation has.”U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said, “It is a very sad day when the former commissioner of the greatest police department in the world is sentenced to prison for base criminal conduct.”Kerik,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, a protégé of former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, pleaded guilty in November to eight felonies, including tax fraud and lying to the White House while being vetted for the Homeland Security post in 2004.The judge said Kerik,Nike NFL Jerseys China, 54, made “a conscious decision to essentially lie to the President of the United States to get a Cabinet position.”Kerik told the judge he had “become a better person.”“I know I must be punished,” he said before being sentenced. “I only ask that you allow me to return to my wife and two little girls as soon as possible.” His daughters are 7 and 9 years old. When the four-year sentence was imposed, Kerik stared straight ahead, showing no emotion.Kerik had been free on bond and under house arrest since pleading guilty. Prosecutors asked that he be sent straight to jail yesterday,NFL Jerseys Cheap, but the judge allowed him to return home while a prison is selected for him and to surrender voluntarily on May 17. The conditions of his release,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, including wearing an electronic monitoring device, continue.Kerik spent three weeks at the Westchester County Jail last fall when Robinson said he had released secret pretrial information that could influence a jury pool. While in jail, Kerik voluntarily spent 10 days in the psychiatric ward for observation because of stress. Doctors concluded he did not need mental care.As Kerik left the courthouse yesterday for his home in Franklin Lakes, N.J., he read a statement apologising to the nation and hoping that history will judge him “for 30 years of service I’ve given to the country and the city of New York.”Kerik had already been ordered to pay $188,Cheap NFL Jerseys,000 in restitution and to pay past-due taxes and penalties on six years of tax returns.Prosecutor Michael Bosworth said in court that Kerik had not yet paid anything. Defence lawyer Michael Bachner said Kerik was working “diligently” with a CPA and would comply.The judge said people like Kerik who enter public service face a dilemma because public service does not come with “financial remuneration” and they don’t become as well-off as some of their friends.“There comes a point where everyone who faces that dilemma has to make some fundamental choices,” Robinson said. When Kerik reached that point, the judge said, “He made some really bad choices.”Kerik supporters sent dozens of letters to the judge praising his bravery and kindness and urging a lenient sentence. Giuliani, who was a prospective presidential candidate when Kerik was indicted in 2007, was not among them.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 06:21 , Processed in 0.059538 second(s), 26 queries .