10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-19 18:23:06 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieWow! What a week. From the national budget to Prince Harry’s visit, accidents and robberies,Leonard Gildarieand a mayor being voted out in Berbice months after taking office, it all indeed seemed a bit overwhelming.I will start with the one that appears to be on everyone’s lips – the presentation of the 2017 national budget, that came with the salary threshold being raised and a number of fees and taxes being hiked.There are announcements of tough measures against tax evaders and against businesses that keep poor records or double records to fool the inspectors. I have no issues with these measures.CRIPPLING EFFECTOf course,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, the one that rubbed wrong is that announcement of a 14 percent VAT introduction to the water and electricity bills of consumers.According to Government, the vast majority of customers for Guyana Power and Light Inc. will be excluded from paying those VAT charges. According to GPL figures, it has approximately 138,000 residential and business customers. About 105,000 residential and 4,800 business customers pay $10,000 or less per month. This means that over 80 percent of consumers will not have to pay the tax.My research on what prevails overseas has found taxes being applied to electricity and water bills in quite a number of countries. The big question is whether Guyana is ready for this. We have had a tough year,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, made worse by global conditions and falling prices for commodities like timber,NFL Jerseys China, bauxite and rice.Undoubtedly, it will have some effect on disposable income of consumers – meaning that it will affect spending power.Taxes are very critical to the running of a country. They are what fix the roads, pay for education and free medical services and a host of other things.However,NFL Jerseys Cheap, too much taxation can have a crippling effect on the economy.The timing of this new tax must be considered in the greater scheme of things.It is a fact that this administration has made it harder upon itself when it comes to accountability.A number of big bank accounts,Cheap NFL Jerseys, including at NICIL and Lotto Funds; the ones at the Guyana Forestry Commission (GFC) and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) can no longer be used as slush funds. There is too much scrutiny. Spending has to be approved by the National Assembly.The Government can no longer try to move monies from GGMC to fix problems in housing. That is irregular.In other words, quick fixes to crises that pop up at intervals have be tackled in a more responsible, long-term and legal manner.DEEP TROUBLEIt appears to me that this administration recognized that the economy was in deep trouble from as early as two years ago. The growth was sliding. There were no major investments. Money to run the country has to come from somewhere.Sectors like housing and forestry were all grinding to a halt. This was what the administration met with when it entered office. The loss of the rice market to Venezuela was by no means a little ripple in the water. Rice is life for a vast majority of citizens from Berbice and Essequibo,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, with overseas markets tough to negotiate and lock down.The clamping down on the drug and fuel smuggling trade have also badly affected the economy. We can discuss this more, but there is not enough space here.Trinidad,Jerseys NFL Cheap, Suriname, Brazil and Venezuela are facing some of the toughest times in their history.In Guyana, we have to take stock. A number of businesses are threatening to pass on their “extra costs” from taxes to consumers.The fact is quite a number of large companies are hiding their taxes. Many businesses are not issuing receipts. Many businesses have been under-reporting. The budget is promising heavy fines for both local and foreign companies if caught fixing their books to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.So there is significant unease over the actions of Government. I am worried.Leading up to the budget presentation Monday, Kaieteur News has been updating this nation on the consultations that took place over the year. Stakeholders from the business sector were engaged. I recall hearing invitations to the Opposition.Did the administration relay to the stakeholders what was some of the thinking?If the Opposition did not turn up to the meetings,Nike NFL Jerseys China, where should blame be laid? The Opposition represents almost half of the voters.In my estimation, we have a broken system. The budget debate begins tomorrow. The National Assembly is where we should show some maturity. There is nothing that says that Government and Opposition cannot compromise on a number of things. There can be some backroom negotiations. After all, we are talking about the well-being of the entire country.We are at a crossroads. Should we take the tough decisions that have to be taken and ready this country for oil? Or should we continue along the same lines that have left us with a shameful title – one of the poorest countries in the hemisphere.Instead of nit-picking, at this 11th hour, we have to sit at the table and work things out. I am sure the Opposition can call the Finance Minister and talk with him. I am sure he will listen. After all, he and the administration represent all of Guyana.So we will watch and see how this debate unfolds. I expect it to be anything but boring.HORRIFIC ACCIDENTAs I pen this piece, there is news of a horrific accident involving three vehicles, including a minibus, at Herstelling, East Bank Demerara.I am a little worried about this piece of the four-lane roadway. The median has been widened to allow cars coming from the city to turn right into Herstelling. But the median appears to throw drivers off, with a number of accidents reported in the area.Our taxi and minibus drivers appear to be on a suicide mission. They switch lanes at the blink of an eye. We don’t care for pedestrian crossings. A little boy in Berbice lost his life this week.At Eccles, a woman was crushed by a truck at the Haags Bosch dumpsite road on Friday. On the East Coast, a former regional executive officer was killed after a collision, reportedly by irresponsible driving.I am nervous every day as I head to and return home from work. We need to examine how these drivers are receiving their licences.Aside from this, I read with much interest the news that the Mayor of Corriverton has lost his seat. This is because of internal elections at the municipality there. He was only voted in earlier this year.All the local government offices – municipalities and Neighbourhood Democratic Councils – are expected to hold internal elections by mid-December. It is a good thing. No mayor or chairperson should think the office belongs to them.All eyes will be on the city when Mayor Patricia Chase-Green comes up against her deputy, Sherod Duncan. I believe that this is democracy at work.In office, we should all strive to leave a mark, a legacy. It is not about the money or contracts or fancy speeches. It is all about service.An expectant population is watching. The rules of the game have been relaxed and a younger crowd is roaring, and expecting.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-28 15:32 , Processed in 0.074014 second(s), 26 queries .