4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-28 09:20:34 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Trinidad (Trinidadian Guardian) – Lenin Thomas,NFL Cheap Jerseys, 30, is a member of a unique Amerindian tribe living in a part of Guyana’s rainforests so remote that it is accessible only by airplane. He is also a final year theology student at the University of Southern Caribbean (USC) in Maracas Valley, a fairly normal achievement for many but a significant accomplishment for him.A good way from home for Lenin Thomas.Thomas has survived major environmental, social, financial, personal battles which threatened his very existence to make it to university. He comes from the Akawaio tribe of the Mazaruni Region. There, eagles fly overhead, jaguars roam the forests and anacondas swim in the rivers and anger and violence is censored among the tribe. However,China Jerseys, the love for gold and diamonds,Cheap Jerseys Online, which is abundant in the Middle and Upper Mazaruni, is threatening the complete obliteration of Thomas’ village.Thomas,NFL Jerseys Authentic, son of an Akawaio schoolteacher and education officer, was one of the more fortunate children in his tribe, although like them he grew up without basic amenities like pipe borne water and electricity.As a young man, he battled alcohol and suicide after his mother died and his common-law wife left him with their two children, all in one month. When he survived that personal war and decided to enrol at USC in Trinidad, Thomas did not have a single cent.Now, he is on his way to successfully completing his degree and already confidently planning to do his Masters. ”I don’t know how,” he said. Thomas’s mission is to take the knowledge he gained to his village and share it with Akawaio youths in particular, many of whom are bright but don’t know how to move forward.Recounting his journey,Authentic NFL Jerseys Wholesale, he said the Akawaio has had “some modernisation” with a government station, schools and regular air contact between the mining village and Georgetown, Digicel cell phones and Internet. Traditional thatched-roofed Akawaio houses are being replaced by concrete ones and villagers own motorbikes and all terrain vehicles.But Akawaio women still wash clothes by the river and the men fish with bows and arrows, as the tribe has been doing for generations. Thomas said some villagers are now pumping water from wells using solar energy and almost everyone has a generator for electricity.He said a special time in the village for him is when all generators are off at night and he sits on the bare earth gazing at millions of stars in the dark sky.“It’s cold and silent and really beautiful. When you wake up in the morning,NFL Jerseys Supply, it’s all misty.” Thomas’ tribe and others nearby protested the building of a hydraulic dam to provide energy for miners that would have completely inundated their village.The Akawaio of the Upper Mazaruni are nearly self sufficient, Thomas revealed: “We plant red beans, black-eyed peas, onions, peanuts, cassava, plantains and hunt and fish. The only thing we bring in from the city (Georgetown) is flour, rice, oil, salt.”Akawaio young men, like Alvern Austin who got 11 passes in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC),Adoree Jackson Authentic Jersey, rarely leave the village to further their education.“It’s really difficult to get out. Many have no relatives outside and nowhere to stay if they want to further their education,” Thomas said.Thomas nearly didn’t get out.“When my mother died and my common-law wife left me with our children, I became depressed and suicidal. I was drinking a lot,” he said.He was teaching biology at the Kako secondary school on a teachers’ training certificate, at the time. But Thomas met missionaries and he got baptized. He went to Georgetown and taught for five years. He set his heart on doing theology but it was not being offered at Georgetown’s University.“A friend told me about USC and I came to Trinidad and enrolled. I did not have money to pay for tuition but USC allowed me study for a whole semester without paying, stay in the dorm and have two meals a day. God has been good to me.”Thomas eventually got a loan and, with part-time work, was able to pay for his education. When he’s done with education, Thomas plans to go back to his Akawaio village.“The air is cleaner up there,” he said.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 08:58 , Processed in 0.070409 second(s), 28 queries .