10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-28 15:19:20 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramThe phone call came just as I was contemplating on a topic for this week’s article. The voice on the other end said “Man you must write about this.” He had just returned from Guyana and was very displeased with what happened to his family during an Easter visit to Guyana.“What do I have to write about?” I inquired.“The corruption thing down there.”“That’s nothing new,” I replied. “Everybody knows there is corruption at all levels of Government in Guyana, from the clerks to Government Ministers.” He then started to relate his unforgettable experience to me.About seven months ago I did write an article on the level of corruption in Guyana and how it is viewed in the Diaspora. Reading Neil Marks’s interview with PPP Presidential candidate, Donald Ramotar, last Sunday I hurriedly ran through the story to see what he would say about corruption. I was very disappointed with his response.Two of the main reasons why Guyanese in the Diaspora said they will not go to Guyana are crime and corruption. Presidential candidate Ramotar acknowledged corruption in general terms but was very short on specifics. I did not see a word on crime.Considering the recent wave of robberies and murder committed with guns,Early Wynn White Sox Jersey, one would have thought he would have outlined his proposal to rein in crime. Frankly I think the interviewer was too soft on the aspiring president.According to the article, Ramotar “promises to vigorously pursue an anti-corruption policy if he is elected” and went on further to say, “We can improve the system and work for the elimination of corruption.”Standard politician statements; speak without going into details.If I were a voter in Guyana I would have wanted in detail his plans for eliminations and enforcements. Mr. Ramotar claims that there is no silver bullet. Well sorry to break the news to the PPP candidate. There is a silver bullet; it is called the law. There are laws on the books on corruption, but it is the unwillingness of the PPP Government to enforce the laws without fear and favour.The problem is that if the ones at the top are thieving and accepting bribes and kickbacks it is a little difficult for them to tell the ones below not to do the same. It’s like the old Guyanese proverb, “You can’t put cat fuh watchman milk.”Would a President Ramotar tolerate a Mr. Ten Percent  or a Mr. Twenty-five Percent Government Minister in his cabinet? I am sure you know what I am speaking off.  My question to Mr. Ramotar would be,Wade Boggs Red Sox Jersey, “Will you fire a corrupt public servant, be it the clerk or a Government Minister? Will you subject them to criminal prosecution? Will you legislate to increase jail time and fines or both for public servants who accept bribes or kickbacks?While you are at it make it a serious offence for anyone to offer bribes to public servants. It has to cut both ways.  This will strengthened the hand of the public to resist paying when asked for “lunch money” at the lower end, to contractors at the higher end.Would you set up an anonymous system where people can report extortionists? And will immediate action be taken against such persons if found guilty?Coming back to my friend’s experience. He went to Guyana for a family funeral around the Easter holidays. He also took the opportunity to show his children the country. Naturally you have to travel mainly by car around the place.First trip was to the Number 63 Beach. Car stopped by two traffic police officers; driver is asked to go to back of vehicle with documents; documents are in order; police still questioning and delaying car, bringing up various scenarios on what he can be charged for, and finally asking for a G$3000 lieu of a G$7000 fine.The $3000 is to be split between her and her partner.Stop #2. His brother-in-law is stopped by traffic police. Same pattern– $3000 to proceed. Stop #3. His niece. Same modus operandi. $3000 to move on without delay.It seems that $3000 is the standard extortion fee by traffic policemen. Did I say traffic policemen? No! These are HIGHWAY ROBBERS IN POLICE UNIFORM.Funny thing was that my friend who was a senior  police officer before he left the country, tried to speak to the traffic officer mentioning that he was a senior police officer. That made no impression on the young lady who was intent on extorting her $3000. Knowing my friend, back in the day he would have arrested her on the spot.One observation my friend made was why the traffic police officers invites the driver to the back of the vehicle, this of course we know is to discuss the extortion, but it could also present a danger for that officer, instead of pulling out cash the driver could be pulling out a weapon.Here in Florida, the officer demands that you stay in your car with hands on the steering wheel. Any attempt to bribe him will immediately get you arrested and taken to jail.While Mr. Ramotar did not say what he will do to control crime,Bill Lee Red Sox Jersey, I would suggest revamping the police force. First bring in a new Commissioner of Police from abroad, Canada,Ryne Sandberg Cubs Jersey, U.K or the U.S.A.,Hanley Ramirez Red Sox Jersey, as well as some senior police officers and give them a free hand.Nothing new here. Jamaica and Trinidad went that route. If the public has confidence in the police force the police will get a better response from them in helping to solve crimes. Right now,Kyle Schwarber Cubs Jersey, how many Guyanese citizens really trust the police? A lot of tourists don’t. They feel that it is someone in the airport that tips off criminals of their arrivals and address of their destination.How else can you explain bandits waiting at their destination when they arrive from the airport? A criminal, it seems, has no fear of the police. Let me explain what I mean.Back in Berbice when I was a reporter there was squad of detectives headed by Detective Inspector Fitzroy Duff. The New Amsterdam Police Station lies across the entrance of the New Amsterdam ferry stelling.Whenever a detective spots a known criminal arriving from the stelling, he would be asked his business in Berbice and regardless of the answer was told, “Yuh going back to Georgetown with the same boat right.”The criminal would have no choice but to go back. That was fear and respect, no brutality. Of course the detectives know the criminal’s only reason to be there was to commit a crime or crimes. I have not even touched on plans for reorganizing the Judiciary, but that is a story for another day.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-6-2 04:42 , Processed in 0.071406 second(s), 26 queries .